Source for 1/4" Stainless Eye Bolts with Shoulder?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

majordude

Swimsuit Model
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Agreed. Teddy has it all. I bought mine from him and am very pleased not only with the hardware, but even more so with his awesome customer service!! You cant go wrong there.

https://www.e-rigging.com/Stainless-Steel-Eye-Bolts-Eye-Nuts
Or these, shorter shank and better prices.
https://www.e-rigging.com/machinery-eye-bolt
Not sure on their shipping charges.

Galvanized hardware has a higher working load limit and, in this case, are less than a buck. Stainless hardware is more prone to "galling" aka cold welding. Which makes removing the hardware difficult, sometimes needing to be broken just to get it loose. I don't know if the recovery shock would be enough to gall or not. Other than for looks, I see know reason to go with expensive stainless over galvanized. I know they are exposed briefly to the corrosive gases of black powder, but I don't see it being significant. I imagine your harness would wear out just as quickly, but I admit I am no expert on rockets.

Mike

Other than for looks, I see know reason to go with expensive stainless over galvanized. I know they are exposed briefly to the corrosive gases of black powder, but I don't see it being significant. I imagine your harness would wear out just as quickly, but I admit I am no expert on rockets.

The exposure is only brief if you are in the habit of carefully cleaning the exposed parts immediately after use.

If installed in a location where it is easy to replace, then zinc plated is fine so long as you inspect it and replace when corrosion sets in. If installed where it is hard to replace, then stainless is definitely worth the cost.

Regardless if you get SS or galvanized, can't beat e-rigging.com. Great pricing & fast shipping.

The exposure is only brief if you are in the habit of carefully cleaning the exposed parts immediately after use.

If installed in a location where it is easy to replace, then zinc plated is fine so long as you inspect it and replace when corrosion sets in. If installed where it is hard to replace, then stainless is definitely worth the cost.

E-rigging sales hot dipped galvanized, not zinc plated. There is a difference.

You are absolutely right, in hard to reach areas, it would make sense to use something more corrosion resistant, but also makes sense to use something more robust. 1/4" hot dipped is rated at 650lbs compared to stainless at 400. That is quite a difference. I would imagine more people have had more rigging failures from shearing under a hard deploy than from corrosion eating through them. Perhaps a more robust anchor could have prevented the shear. And again, I am talking about hot dipped, not zinc plated. And hot dipped may corrode slightly faster, but can take more of it before it even weakens to the point stainless starts at.

Stainless will corrode after being exposed to corrosive gases. We used stainless steel quite extensively when I was in the sheet metal and iron work industry. You would probably be surprised how easily it does corrode when not in a "normal" environment. It can also corrode if you hit it with the wrong type of metal too, such as when you are tightening it with a wrench, iron contamination. Sweat, possibly even oil from your fingers, on the threads when you tighten it can cause corrosion.

I am not advocating for galvanized. They both have pros and cons, like everything else in rocketry.

But now I am curious if anyone has had a failure due to corrosion.

Mike

Wow,, thank you very much for all the nice comments guy's...
I emailed Brian...

And same as with your harness,,
I want the strongest too when I'm building...
But if you're overly concerned about strength
you may be putting too much of a shock load on the rockets components...
Use a longer harness...

Teddy

Have an Orchard Supply nearby? They stock 1/4" forged eye-bolts (some other sizes also), in at least 2" and 4" lengths (may be something shorter also). The 2" is this part I believe: https://www.stanleyhardware.com/detail/3260-eye-bolts-forged-n245-076. 4" is just the longer shaft, same 500lb SWL. The eye is pretty compact on these, I had no issue fitting them inside a 38mm rocket (alongside a Dog House charge well even).

I am looking for something like this:

https://rocketrywarehouse.com/product_info.php?products_id=1205

McMaster Carr has some with a 1" long shank but that's a bit too long and $10 each.

Amazon has something very close to these but shipping is $5 each or something insane.

Tracking down Amazon's supplier, I found https://www.uscargocontrol.com/Rigg...-16-Machine-Eye-Bolt-Stainless-Steel-Type-316 but shipping is $10.

I'm in SoCal if there is a local source.

I need 3-7 of these ASAP. Thank you!

Do you have and OSH stores in So Cal?
I found some 400 lb working load rated 1/4" SS Eyebolts in the Marine section of an Orchard Supply Hardware. I bought the 4 they had on the shelf. They looked very similar to the first one you've linked.
I think they were just $4 each too. It seemed to me that they aren't good for use on material thicker than about 0.2" maximum since with a thin washer and 1/4" nylock nut, the threads are just flush with the nylock.

Back