HPR Launch Pad Parts?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kruegon

Reaction score
I'm looking to build my own HPR launch pad. I've seen several with adjustable angles. The ones I like most use a turnbuckle with a twist knob. I'm trying to locate this to use on mine. Does anyone know where they can be purchased? I think the Quad-Pod used the same one I'm looking for.

Just from looking at the pictures, it looks like a ratcheting turnbuckle (aka ratchet jack) - used for securing loads. Only ones I have seen have had handles on them, don't know about the knob. Try these guys maybe: https://www.swintool.com Think they are pricey and not sure if they are that small.
Or google search ratchet jack turnbuckle.

This is probably your best bet: https://www.mcmaster.com/#turnbuckle-style-threaded-connecting-rods/=127zuyc And just add you a knob of some sort. But again, they seem kinda pricey. A simple turnbuckle would work. Just not as fancy.

Mike

Search eBay for knobs made a the material you are looking for with the threads you want and you will find it.

If the main hardware stores don't have turnbuckles, I'd have to believe a tractor supply would sell them.

If the main hardware stores don't have turnbuckles, I'd have to believe a tractor supply would sell them.

or RV places... Use them for truck campers.

1_123ce5a3-a059-46e0-aaf0-c3341cb957cf_large.jpeg

Be careful. I have come across some turnbuckles that are pretty sloppy. Remember they are designed to tighten a cable so a little slop in the threads is not a problem and if the threads are loose they tighten easier. The problem with that in using them as adjusters for our purposes is that a little slop in the turnbuckle can mean quite a bit in the rail. Just speaking from experience.

Slop in the turnbuckles can be taken out with jam nuts. You'll need one left hand thread and one right hand thread and it'll make it less convenient to use the turnbuckle.

[emoji1010] Steve Shannon [emoji1010]

Two turnbuckles on opposite sides of the pads may help reduce or eliminate the slop. The turnbuckles I referred the OP to is made with a hexagonal coupler, not the standard kind like posted above. I would think they have less slop, but don't know for sure. And they are quite expensive. Well to me they are expensive. Would probably be super easy to find a knob for them though.

Back