Rocketry Warehouse Under New Management

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Mike!
I am glad that the guy with the best service/customerCare takes over the shop with the biggest selection of parts!

Skipping the negative about RW (it has all been said already), there is something I really liked about their kits : they were always received almost perfectly clean, with no dust, and very few mold release remaining.
That was somewhat a contrast to the MadCow FB kits, which were often in a bag with a teaspoon of FB dust.
I hate having to clean my tube upfront or scrubbing the fins when receiving them, so if ever you add an order option 'Pre-cleaned-kit' for a few $$, I will for sure click on it!

Who's day job takes them directly to Mt Everest? You? I'd buy it as a work trip. Kick back in his feed. Aruba...out skiing when he said he was 'filling orders as fast as possible"... etc etc.

All you vendors "not getting rich" in the hobby rocketry business are clearly doing something wrong! :wink:

Let's clear the air here...Curtis has a LONG history in the hobby. I bought one of the very first Competitor 4 kits off of eBay for $129 shipped back in 2004-2005, flew it at NERRF-1 in 2005. He started by dealing direct to customer, then transitioned to B2B. The "2B" portion has evolved over the years and includes dealings with Wildman (extensive), Mad Cow (extensive), Rocketry Warehouse (extensive), ProLine, Apogee, Performance Hobbies, Rockets Magazine, etc. Why? Because very few people out there have the means or the interest to be a hobby market vendor, much less a manufacturer. Resellers and kit makers lose interest and move on.

Curtis is best when he is making raw tubing and shipping it to someone else to cut and bag. Even then I hear he can be a challenge, often times nearly impossible to deal with. That said, every time you buy a 4" kit with FG tubing under $200 you have him to thank. Whether he made the tube or not, he broke the price barrier "back in the day." You're all VERY fortunate that Mad Cow is taking the reigns of the B2C side of the business, selling only what he has in stock, and turning the raw Curtis material into a kit on your door step in a nicely packed box at that affordable price. That all starts with low manufacturer pricing.

This is a VERY welcomed consolidation. Mike will likely take care of any outstanding orders outside of the arrangement he made with RW, meaning he's probably covering you out of his own pocket. Share your positive experiences because that's what an outstanding customer service pioneer does. I bet his parts fit, too.

Yep and I would really be grateful if Curtis would fulfill the $700 HoJo order my buddy made with him at LDRS27.

But that's neither here nor there is it? Especially since he broke the price barrier and all that and we have him to thank for all of the above...

I don't sound bitter do I?

So they transfer the inventory before they fulfill outstanding orders and the new management ignores outstanding orders, great. Well, at least ignoring customers seems to be the same service as from the old management.

Yep and I would really be grateful if Curtis would fulfill the $700 HoJo order my buddy made with him at LDRS27.

But that's neither here nor there is it? Especially since he broke the price barrier and all that and we have him to thank for all of the above...

I don't sound bitter do I?

Pretty much everyone is bitter, as I'd expect. We get to wait and see if Madcow assumes all of the unfilled kits/parts/etc. I'd recommend e-mailing or calling Mike to see what's up.

Contact me offline. Previous quote was correct that prior to May 1, you'll need to keep working with previous management, but let's see if there is anything I can do to help get this worked out.

So they transfer the inventory before they fulfill outstanding orders and the new management ignores outstanding orders, great. Well, at least ignoring customers seems to be the same service as from the old management.

Just saying... MadCow's comment here doesn't seem to be "ignoring" customers.

Give Mike a chance. I've never known him to ignore any email or respond to an issue. Ever.

I don't care if Curtis is a jetsetter. That's his business. He'll roll as many tubes a year as he wants to, and it's not like he's a slave to the rocketry community.

I think the problems with Rocketry Warehouse were as follows:
  1. Poor communication.
  2. Selling what they don't have in stock.
If Madcow fixes those two problems, then that remedies everything.

Meanwhile, if Curtis goes on an undersea expedition for six months, I would expect to see a lot of "Out of Stock" notifications, and Madcow not taking anyone's money for kits they don't have.

Floyd was the service end of RW, and after his wife died, things really went downhill. That is sad, and very unfortunate. I don't think Floyd handled things very well, but I'm glad he has recognized the problems and handed he business off to another quality vendor.

Don't get me wrong though...In spite of my previous post I have a lot of faith that MC will be great and this acquisition will only lead to more awesomeness from them. I've seen a lot of their kits and even did a test order with them just to see how they are to do business with and the transaction was flawless. I'm actually kind of excited for this to happen.

I'm hoping for the best on previous orders to get filled. I have (had) a $400 order also. I emailed and I did get a response.

We appreciate your predicament. We are taking over as of May 1 and have
no insight to previous orders. Your order needs to be filled by the
previous management. We will be trying to pressure them to get this taken
care of.

I don't care if Curtis is a jetsetter. That's his business. He'll roll as many tubes a year as he wants to, and it's not like he's a slave to the rocketry community.

I think the problems with Rocketry Warehouse were as follows:
  1. Poor communication.
  2. Selling what they don't have in stock.
If Madcow fixes those two problems, then that remedies everything.

Meanwhile, if Curtis goes on an undersea expedition for six months, I would expect to see a lot of "Out of Stock" notifications, and Madcow not taking anyone's money for kits they don't have.

Floyd was the service end of RW, and after his wife died, things really went downhill. That is sad, and very unfortunate. I don't think Floyd handled things very well, but I'm glad he has recognized the problems and handed he business off to another quality vendor.

I think this is spot on. RW had FANTASTIC customer service until Floyd's wife died. After that you could tell something wasn't right but they were doing ok. Black Friday buried them and Curtis was the man behind the curtain digging them out. That was their biggest mistake in my opinion, they should have skipped the sale knowing the issues they were having. I am super excited about MC taking over RW. This is the best thing that could have happened, although it should have happened sooner.

My only concern or negative is I really liked the $6 east coast shipping. RW was my go to source for parts knowing I would get it fast and not waste a ton on shipping.

There is no way RW was not loosing money on shipping. Come on a 9lbs kit for $5. I bet there is no one out there that would want to ship items and loose money on the shipping. Yes MC can charge $5 for shipping and raise the price of the kits by 20%. The shipping cost are what they are. USPS and UPS have their rates and vendors must pay it.
What do people what low shipping costs and higher item prices. I am sure that would not go over well.

I think this is spot on. RW had FANTASTIC customer service until Floyd's wife died. After that you could tell something wasn't right but they were doing ok. Black Friday buried them and Curtis was the man behind the curtain digging them out. That was their biggest mistake in my opinion, they should have skipped the sale knowing the issues they were having.

+1.

All you vendors "not getting rich" in the hobby rocketry business are clearly doing something wrong! :wink:

It is tough being a vendor in this business because of MANUFACTURERS COMPETING WITH VENDORS/DEALERS
I drag raced motorcycles until recently to concentrate more on bigger and more complicated-designed rockets.
Less than half of the racing manufacturers actually sold to the public instead relying on their dealer network.
The ones that did sell direct sold their product at retail price. Some started doing a slight discount for racers but it was such that it did not hurt the dealer because they could still compete in the market.
THAT is how you SUPPORT your dealer network.
That way manufacturers could concentrate designing and building their products. More products hit the dealer network, the inventory meets the demand, everyone makes a living and no one missed a race.

Let's go to the hobby industry. I never saw so many manufacturers compete with their own dealers, it's insane.
So Performance Rocketry starts around 2004, 2005 and makes a great product. He tries to keep the demand happy. He is a master of the manufacturing process, he built hundreds of molds, designed new rockets, made awesome nose cones and the G-10 tubes he rolled were perfect: just the right amount of rolled cloth and epoxy.

THE GHOST WAREHOUSES
All that talk about helping someone else in the business, it was all a ploy to take away sales from the dealers.

View attachment 289958View attachment 289959View attachment 289960

As you see he can't make up his mind if he sells you from Performance Rocketry, ProLine, Rocketry Warehouse, etc.
After spending so much time marketing and running the direct sales "on the side", now the manufacturing slows. Now it's time to go elsewhere for product manufacturing. When you over-sell, now you can't fill orders. There are countless folks that never got their parts. Others still waiting on a kit. Some just gave up and went to another product.
So when you see that awesome half-price kit on BF, go ask your local dealer and ask him why he can't get parts or kits from you-know-who. You want to roll the dice and get one in 3-6 months, go for it. You say "Because my dealer doesn't have the stuff I want" WHY? READ ABOVE, it's a vicious cycle that just gets worse.
How many of you missed that once-a-year launch because of this. That $80 kit isn't worth a lot if you have to wait another year to fly it.
Don't get me wrong, a BF sale is a great marketing tool and I would support it as long as the inventory and dealers don't suffer because of it.

There are motor and manufacturing companies that compete AGAINST their dealers. They sell direct at a deep discount. They make any and everybody a dealer if they have $3,000, it's shameful. There are as many dealers as there are Dunkin' Donuts in Connecticut. Some dealers spend enough and become a distributor. You think it is so they can support the dealer network, nope, just so they get a better discount, then sell at an even lower price to take sales from other dealers. If you become a distributor, have enough cash flow for an inventory to supply the dealers with most of what they need.

I considered joining forces with a dealer and knock it out the park. The problem is I would never have the non-competing cooperation from enough manufacturers.

I am glad to hear that Rocketry Warehouse is "Under New Management" Mad Cow rocketry will do just fine, he has a great business model.
Make sure you get a "5-year non-competing" clause signed and notarized.

Last edited:
I suggest a new kit to distract everyone. I recommend a 2.6" in neon green tubing with black 1/8" fins, a black vent band on a 9" bay, Black nosecone, with a 48" booster and 54mm mount. You know, something basic that everyone will like ;)

Last edited:
Guys, focus on the future.

I think we are.

It's unanimous that with MadCow taking over, things will improve dramtically and I think we all are very excited about this.
However, there is a flip side to everything, and for those of us still waiting, the future of our old RW orders looks bleak if we have to deal with RW. I know Mike will do everything he can to help, but bottom line is this isn't his mess to clean up and it's unfair to expect him to.

In general, the rocketry community dishes out praise and kudo's ten fold over criticism or complaints. We all know that our vendors are in tough niche market, however, we can't always ignore or silence the complaints of repeated poor business practices of those vendors who do this over and over. Part of what shapes our future is remembering and learning from the past. Tough lessons for those of us that have been stiffed out of cash, been waiting for months on end without any contact, or have partial kits that can't be completed as intended. Most of our vendors have great products at reasonable prices and outstanding customer service, which is the exact formula you need to succeed in a niche market. However RW's criticism is well deserved, especially from those of us who have been stiffed to this point.

So to the point, let's all learn from the past, and support MadCow and the other great vendors out there and pass on the bad ones. And when the next Curtis company pops up, avoid it like the plague.

I suggest a new kit to distract everyone. I recommend a 2.6" in neon green tubing with black 1/8" fins, a black vent band on a 9" bay, Black nosecone, with a 48" booster and 54mm mount. You know, something basic that everyone will like ;)
YES YES YES!!! I'll take one! can we call it the Maching-Goose??

YES YES YES!!! I'll take one! can we call it the Maching-Goose??

You should stick the most ornery 54 mm. motor you can find in it & call it "To kill a Maching Goose"

You should stick the most ornery 54 mm. motor you can find in it & call it "To kill a Maching Goose"

i literally LOL'd perhaps a 56" booster and some kind of stupid long 54. (looks at Scott)

Last edited:
I for one would rather spend more to do business with a company that has good products and good customer service than to save a few bucks by buying from somewhere that has quality issues and bad customer service. Businesses like MadCow and Apogee aren't the cheapest but you know that you're going to get what you paid for. Quickly.

So I have to correct myself, I got a message from the Madcow team after 1 day, which is very nice, that they have no insight into the old orders but will try to figure something out.

So in the rocketry community, who started this whole BF sales nonsense anyways? It wasn't always like this...

Congratulations Mike, and good luck in your new endeavor. You have always provided outstanding service, great products, and fair pricing. I anticipate no less with the new product line, and look forward to our future transactions.

Cheers,
Michael

I for one would rather spend more to do business with a company that has good products and good customer service than to save a few bucks by buying from somewhere that has quality issues and bad customer service. Businesses like MadCow and Apogee aren't the cheapest but you know that you're going to get what you paid for. Quickly.

I am glad you got it! I know a vendor very well. We discuss the business and quite often you see a fair amount of folks that can just barely or cannot afford this hobby. He is inundated with "Can I pay you next week?", "can I pay you $100 a month?", "Not sure why my card did not work", "Can I have that N motor at 30% off?...can I have the kit at cost because I just bought the motor?...man my wife is going to kill me!" or college kid buys 3 motors, decides at the time of delivery he no longer wants them AND wants the refund, THEN argues with the vendor that he doesn't think his 2nd choice of reload will fit the case that IT WAS CERTIFIED IN!..... THE LIST GOES ON.

LOYALTY, not a quality of some folks. They call Wildman for a cheap kit, buy a parachute from Ken, then buys a motor somewhere else but then they forget about the Hazmat fee vs. pickup the motor at the field AND they forget the separate shipping charges from all those vendors.

Last edited:
I don't think the hobby benefits from sole sourcing. We benefit from the great new products that come from from the entire group of excellent vendors that we currently have like MadCow, Wildman, Mac Performance, Polecat, Giant Leap, Loc, ect ect. Sure, you'd save some shipping if you only deal with one vendor for all your needs, but distributing the wealth keeps all these guy's businesses healthy and provides us with wider variety of options.

+1. Just as there are good and bad vendors, there are good and bad customers as well. But dealing with the occasional bad customer doesn't entitle them to treat myself or someone else unjustly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back