Rocketry Warehouse Under New Management

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just guessing here, but I'm guessing it might actually get filled now.

This post is why this new mgmt is exciting - https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?130383-Madcow-Black-Friday-Sale&p=1530620#post1530620

since everyone is offering unsolicited advice ;), I'll add this - keep doing BF your way. Don't do the "sell stuff we don't have" thing. Your current method is absolutely perfect.

That post from MC in December says it all. Putting it in that perspective this move is a good one.

What is happening about Rocketry Warehouse's outstanding orders. I have been waiting for 3 months without any information about whether I will get what I ordered!

Mike has always provided top notch service and communication to me. This is great news.

I have been trying to decide who to order from for my upcoming build, Madcow or Rocketry Warehouse. Actually settled on RW because I could get a bit more for the same price after shipping. What a waste of time that was! LOL. I have kits from both, love em all. RW has/had the cheapest fiberglass kits I have found, and I have had no problems with the fit. Hope all goes smoothly.

I'll take a 3" lime green Goblin please. :smile:

Mike

Mike,

I posted a rather blunt comment on FB about this and please take this advice about the two businesses. Keep whatever you're doing at Madcow and flush whatever was being done at RW. Do not use anything they were using as a business model. I love MC and have lots of your products. All built and flown. I have a some RW kits and still don't have all the parts and what I do have doesn't fit. Please bring them up to what you have built MC to be.

I have the same problem with my RW kit. It's boxed up half built and not going any place. Kind of crummy for the price I paid. Oh well. Maybe once mad cow takes it over I might give it a chance about 6months later.

"So who wants to bring up the Tomach/Mongoose elephant in the room"

The Tomgoose?

The "Momach"? As in, "Mo' mach!"

Overall, this was great news, Rocketry Warehouse and Madcow alternate as being my top fave' rocket companies to order from. I can see that running things as a business can be tough, but merging them will hopefully bring the best of both worlds.

Keep the products, flush the business model.

I had heard that MadCow has been getting tubes and cones from Curtis, but that someone in Cali was cutting and kitting. Never had an issue with any of my MC glass, but about half of my RW stuff has had tubes cut too short, fins not all the same size, slots not cut wide enough, etc. Never got any satisfaction or resolution on ANY of these issues.

For those of you awaiting an order placed before 1 May 2016, according to the post on RW's Web Page:Please note this change will be effective May 1, 2016. If you ordered before this date, your order will still be fulfilled by the previous management. Me, I'd guess that you're screwed.

Once during the Pre-BF sales this past season, I had an issue with wrong picking/packing on a previous order...called MC, Mike himself was on the phone that day, sorted out my issues, shipped my my Pre-BF stuff with my replacement parts that same day!

Once MadCow gets this transition sorted out, they're going to be the sole entry on one of my maxed out credit cards!

Last edited:
Great news! I've bought a bunch of kits from RW, and the slots are never routed properly. Had to file them out to fit the fins. Madcow, they're all perfect. It's worth paying a bit more to get better quality... I think Madcow understands that, and I think their customers do too. As far as customer service, I have personally never had a problem with RW (I bought a few parts recently and got them in less than a week), but I can see how they may have been overwhelmed by their own success with the BF sales. I think their business model for BF may have been to order parts and kit-to-order... that doesn't work very well when you have that kind of volume, but it does lower your inventory cost which may have been an issue with them. Madcow is a bigger company and presumably has more resources to handle those issues.

What will happen with my pending Black Friday order?

Contact me offline. Previous quote was correct that prior to May 1, you'll need to keep working with previous management, but let's see if there is anything I can do to help get this worked out.

Contact me offline. Previous quote was correct that prior to May 1, you'll need to keep working with previous management, but let's see if there is anything I can do to help get this worked out.

WORLD CLASS!!

Great news! I've bought a bunch of kits from RW, and the slots are never routed properly. Had to file them out to fit the fins. Madcow, they're all perfect.

Funny, I had the opposite experience. First RW kit I bought was MD (Go Devil 38), so no fin slots to comment on there. But my RW BF order included an Osprey 75, those slots are perfect (clean and the right length). I also ordered a MC 4" Nike Smoke on their BF saie, all 4 slots were cut shorter than the fins and had to be lengthened (towards the back to keep in scale with the real thing) as well as having burrs to clean up, etc. Easy enough to do with a cutting tool on my dremel, but obviously every vendor has their 'good days' and 'bad days'. :)

Funny, I had the opposite experience. First RW kit I bought was MD (Go Devil 38), so no fin slots to comment on there. But my RW BF order included an Osprey 75, those slots are perfect (clean and the right length). I also ordered a MC 4" Nike Smoke on their BF saie, all 4 slots were cut shorter than the fins and had to be lengthened (towards the back to keep in scale with the real thing) as well as having burrs to clean up, etc. Easy enough to do with a cutting tool on my dremel, but obviously every vendor has their 'good days' and 'bad days'. :)

Likewise. Got three kits that were Hump specials that were obtained quite some time ago. I understand there might be some personal issues at play here but yeah, that's a bummer but not good to maintain the business.
As far as fin slots go, I don't mind a little filing or sanding to get'em perfect. The RW "kits" are more like a collection of parts which is fine in my book 'cause I've been around awhile and like tweaking stuff. If I don't know what's up,
a post here has builders sharing some great ways to git'r done. Kurt

Mike from MC is a honest hard working guy. We have done business with him for 4 years now. Never any problems with Mike.

Something that I would like to see in kits from both Madcow and RW is more options on motor mount size. Like for example the Madcow Frenzy XL only comes with a 75 mm motor mount. But the Frenzy XL will go almost 7000 ft on a big 54 mm L motor which I suspect is high enough for people who don't fly their rockets in the desert. And while CTI makes 48 different 75 mm reloads, there is only one (the K735) that is small enough to keep the Frenzy XL below 5000 ft. More than half of the CTI 75 mm reloads are M motors which require level 3 certification. You should have the option of flying rockets like the Frenzy XL on 54 mm motors without having to buy a 54/75 adapter.

It might be a bit hard to contact the previous owner since he is headed out of the country to Nepal! Here are the pictures from his Facebook Page!

62CABCAE-2067-4ECE-ACC0-D64C858663A8.jpg
CB64EA1F-5A89-4D28-9560-46FB016D2128.png

Looks like he is flying first class on all your money!!

All I can say is "WOW!" (with a sigh of negative disgust...)

Guys, How do you know this is not travel for his day job?

Guys, How do you know this is not travel for his day job?

There is a long history of him doing this. It started with Performance Rocketry 10,12 years ago. He has screwed over many. He runs the business into the ground. Takes orders he cannot fill and then folds up the business. Then all of a sudden he was at LDRS 30 with his then Father in-law and Rocketry Warehouse was born. He told everyone his Father in-law was running the business end and that it would be different this time. Some things never change!

Something that I would like to see in kits from both Madcow and RW is more options on motor mount size. Like for example the Madcow Frenzy XL only comes with a 75 mm motor mount. But the Frenzy XL will go almost 7000 ft on a big 54 mm L motor which I suspect is high enough for people who don't fly their rockets in the desert. And while CTI makes 48 different 75 mm reloads, there is only one (the K735) that is small enough to keep the Frenzy XL below 5000 ft. More than half of the CTI 75 mm reloads are M motors which require level 3 certification. You should have the option of flying rockets like the Frenzy XL on 54 mm motors without having to buy a 54/75 adapter.

The trouble with that is.... adapters are pretty widely accepted. Also, both RW and Madcow have made custom orders for me within very short time frames.... a quick email usually gets whatever you require.

Let's clear the air here...Curtis has a LONG history in the hobby. I bought one of the very first Competitor 4 kits off of eBay for $129 shipped back in 2004-2005, flew it at NERRF-1 in 2005. He started by dealing direct to customer, then transitioned to B2B. The "2B" portion has evolved over the years and includes dealings with Wildman (extensive), Mad Cow (extensive), Rocketry Warehouse (extensive), ProLine, Apogee, Performance Hobbies, Rockets Magazine, etc. Why? Because very few people out there have the means or the interest to be a hobby market vendor, much less a manufacturer. Resellers and kit makers lose interest and move on.

Curtis is best when he is making raw tubing and shipping it to someone else to cut and bag. Even then I hear he can be a challenge, often times nearly impossible to deal with. That said, every time you buy a 4" kit with FG tubing under $200 you have him to thank. Whether he made the tube or not, he broke the price barrier "back in the day." You're all VERY fortunate that Mad Cow is taking the reigns of the B2C side of the business, selling only what he has in stock, and turning the raw Curtis material into a kit on your door step in a nicely packed box at that affordable price. That all starts with low manufacturer pricing.

This is a VERY welcomed consolidation. Mike will likely take care of any outstanding orders outside of the arrangement he made with RW, meaning he's probably covering you out of his own pocket. Share your positive experiences because that's what an outstanding customer service pioneer does. I bet his parts fit, too.

Let's clear the air here...Curtis has a LONG history in the hobby. I bought one of the very first Competitor 4 kits off of eBay for $129 shipped back in 2004-2005, flew it at NERRF-1 in 2005. He started by dealing direct to customer, then transitioned to B2B. The "2B" portion has evolved over the years and includes dealings with Wildman (extensive), Mad Cow (extensive), Rocketry Warehouse (extensive), ProLine, Apogee, Performance Hobbies, Rockets Magazine, etc. Why? Because very few people out there have the means or the interest to be a hobby market vendor, much less a manufacturer. Resellers and kit makers lose interest and move on.

Curtis is best when he is making raw tubing and shipping it to someone else to cut and bag. Even then I hear he can be a challenge, often times nearly impossible to deal with. That said, every time you buy a 4" kit with FG tubing under $200 you have him to thank. Whether he made the tube or not, he broke the price barrier "back in the day." You're all VERY fortunate that Mad Cow is taking the reigns of the B2C side of the business, selling only what he has in stock, and turning the raw Curtis material into a kit on your door step in a nicely packed box at that affordable price. That all starts with low manufacturer pricing.

This is a VERY welcomed consolidation. Mike will likely take care of any outstanding orders outside of the arrangement he made with RW, meaning he's probably covering you out of his own pocket. Share your positive experiences because that's what an outstanding customer service pioneer does. I bet his parts fit, too.

+1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back