Stick fins

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amsterdam

Reaction score
Anyone have rockets with stick fins? Would love to see em.

I found this Estes RTF mini Mars lander at a garage sale. The thing was trashed and only had one fin left..

i figured a set of dowel fins was the quickest and easiest way to get it flying again.

used some silver acrylics mixed with elmers to give it a weathered look.

image.jpg

I don't have any, yet, but threads like this make me want one, or two.
That looks great!

That's a cool way to resurrect a Mini Marz Lander. I can't vouch that the dowels are long enough, but I do know one sure way to find out :wink:

Here's my Shai Hulud, patterned after the old desert squid style rocket. It is a little wobbly on the way up but flies well enough. It is in the pile to fix as it lost a couple of the dowels on a poor deployment.

scratch_shai_hulud04.jpg

I made 'oil rig' rockets. Pretty close to the OP, but no nose cone. The tumble recover just fine (light weight). MMT, tape, and some bamboo skewers angled out in a tripod or 'quadpod.' Used with mini or 18mm A-C motors.

Yeah. I have been wanting to make a Sputnik, the satellite not the rocket. But never got around to it.

I guess this one may be cheating with the angle fins on the sticks.
P8180041.jpg

This thread is responsible for my purchase of these marshmallow sticks:
They are beautifully uniform and appear to be made of Bamboo.

BambooSkewersDowels 2008-01-07 002.jpg

scratch_slam_dunk_3.jpgscratch_slam_dunk_1.jpg

One example of bamboo skewer construction. The Micro Slam Dunk.

That's a cool way to resurrect a Mini Marz Lander. I can't vouch that the dowels are long enough, but I do know one sure way to find out :wink:

Haha! they should probably be a touch longer but I'm thinking those draggy feet will balance it out.

Thanks for all the examples guys! Was tough to search on.

Top! Hope you stick with it haha be neat to see some newer stuff

John, those Ghosts are really cool!!!
Did you do a build thread on them or anything like that?
I'de really like to add something like that to my fleet!

My ghosts are nothing more then a 4" or 1" styrofoam ball with motor mount & wooden dowel legs(sputnik), covered in cheese cloth soaked in a material called Stiffy fabric stiffener. Can't recall if I ever did a build thread on the Ghosts, you might look in the Micro Maxx files, it was the most recently made.
I must also warn ghosts are super draggy contraptions, the C6-0 powered 4" ball ghost only gets about 20feet of altitude, the micro ghost maybe 8-10feet. But fun to launch anyway :)
also forgot to add one from the Chirstmas Odd-Roc Collection...again nothing more then a plastic 4" orinment and candycan leg "Holliday" sputnik:)

Stiffy Fabric Stiffener-sm_10-02-06.jpg

163a-sm_Sputnik Odd-Roc_11-08-94.jpg

633-sm_CandyCandyBall_Odd-Roc_01-06-03.jpg

Last edited:
My ghosts are nothing more then a 4" or 1" styrofoam ball with motor mount & wooden dowel legs(sputnik), covered in cheese cloth soaked in a material called Stiffy fabric stiffener. Can't recall if I ever did a build thread on the Ghosts, you might look in the Micro Maxx files, it was the most recently made.
I must also warn ghosts are super draggy contraptions, the C6-0 powered 4" ball ghost only gets about 20feet of altitude, the micro ghost maybe 8-10feet. But fun to launch anyway :)
also forgot to add one from the Chirstmas Odd-Roc Collection...again nothing more then a plastic 4" orinment and candycan leg "Holliday" sputnik:)

John- can you give an estimate on how many rockets you think you have in your fleet, all told? Every post I see you on you've got at least 1 thing I've never seen before...

John- can you give an estimate on how many rockets you think you have in your fleet, all told? Every post I see you on you've got at least 1 thing I've never seen before...

LOL! yes I have a running total: Currently: Standard LPR and MPR models flyable are an even 300, That number does not include all the mulitples of Different Competition models and about 18 sport flying models that are currently not flyable. Then there is my current Micro-Maxx Fleet: As of tonight that number stands at 219 different models. Again that number does not include all the multiple competition 1/8A models and about 6 micro's sport flying models that are in need of repair and not flyable at the moment.
So the flyable fleet is currently 519 different models. but the total fleet is well over 600:)
When one as been building and flying for over 50 years, ya tend to collect a bunch of flying models:)

Last edited:
Back