Performance Hobbies X-15

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyingTiger

Reaction score
So here is a "fun" story - back in Sept of 2015 I ordered the X-15 high power kit from Ken at Performance Hobbies. I contacted him first to make sure the kit was still available.

Received everything except the tail cone and fin shrouds. That's when the "fun" begins.

I have been in contact with Ken, he has usually responded, but haven't heard back for several weeks. Yep, here it is last day of April 2016 and I still don't have my parts. Got all kinds of "reasons" why, from pulled back, to broken mold to.....still no parts.

Folks that are going to run a business by themselves need to have contingency plans for eventualities - especially if they are charging mucho $$$$$ for a rocket kit.

So essentially I paid $450.00 for an incomplete rocket kit - fun times!

That sounds really bad. I have always had good luck in dealing with Performance Hobbies, but I have ordered simple things. Recently, I bought some 24 mm reloads that I arrived on time in fine condition. You are right that for that kind of money things should have worked out better.

Been in that boat myself, waited over a year for a nose cone to complete my 7.5" Smoke. Finally gave up waiting and Ken made it right, got a 7.5" ogive cone from him instead plus a credit for the difference, and returned the Smoke fins to him for a credit and then built an upscale Goblin. Your situation is a little different as it would be hard to convert an X-15 into something else.

Unfortunately, this is a recurring habit with this vendor.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?122989-Performance-Hobbies-Bad-Vendor posted a year ago.

It was not my thread, but since I'd had a similar experience, here is what I posted at the time:

"I recently had a very bad experience with Ken which only began to move in a favorable direction when I filed a Paypal complaint. The parts I eventually received (after over 2 months and numerous emails) were not what was advertised on his website, the parts arrived piecemeal, some not finished. Despite the fact that I paid for my kit in October, I am still waiting for a set of instructions and decals, which really should not be too hard to produce.

Many of you may have had good experiences with Ken but I have not. Honestly, he's the worst rocketry dealer I've ever dealt with. "

Several of Ken's friends, who did not know me and were not at all involved in my transaction with him, then responded that somehow his complete lack of service was my fault. I wouldn't be surprised if they do the same to you.

Never did receive the decals. Never did receive any instructions. Still the worst rocketry dealer I've ever dealt with.

High power kits don't come with instructions. I remember you. Get over it.

Vendors should be more clear when selling things they don't actually have.

The attitude that people should accept 1-2 years to get a kit is pure and total BS unless they're specifically warned of that kind of lead time from the vendor.

High power kits don't come with instructions. I remember you. Get over it.
Jim,

Utter and complete nonsense. My Level 1 kit was a PML Little Lunar Express. It came with great instructions which you can see here. Every PML kit, high power included, comes with very nice instructions.

My level 2 kit was a LOC Doorknob. It came with great instructions, as do all LOC high power kits.

In addition, virtually every manufacturer of high power kits (Giant Leap, AeroTech, U.S. Rockets, Binder Design, Mad Cow, etc.) includes great instructions.

So your repeated comment that high power kits don't come with instructions is just utter nonsense, meant to try to belittle me in defense of your friend.

You weren't party to any of the transaction between Ken and myself so you apparently don't know that this kit did, indeed have instructions at one point, but Ken maintained he had lost the file and would either find it or get a copy from a previous buyer. None of that happened. But that particular failure had little to do with why I consider Ken the worst rocketry retailer I ever dealt with.

When I first became interested in the kit I emailed Ken and asked if he had one in stock. He replied that he didn't but that he would let me know when he did. A short time later he contacted me and told me he had a kit that he thought he had sold but the buyer hadn't paid so I could have that one. Within an hour I sent payment. Then nothing arrived and the problems began.

Excuse after excuse after excuse, unanswered emails, and eventually I had to file a PayPal complaint to ensure I wouldn't just be ripped off for over $700. Finally some parts arrived. Fin slots weren't cut, motor mount different size from what was advertised on the website, etc. etc. etc. Eventually, after 5 months, I did receive most of the "kit" I'd ordered. I never did receive any instructions and Ken eventually sent an email saying that he wasn't going to send me the decals.

This is now at least the third thread on this forum detailing the problems people have when they buy a very expensive kit from Ken Allen of Performance Hobbies. My bottom line is that, based on my own personal bad experience and the number of similar complaints posted by others, I'd avoid this guy like the plague.

The nail was just hit on the head. If you don't actually have it and aren't really sure when or if you will be able to get it, then let me know first. If I decide to move forward with it, then it's on me because I fully understand what I'm getting into at that point. As far as Ken goes, yeah, he doesn't have the greatest business model or inventorying system and I have had some long waits, missing parts, wrong parts ect ect. But he has always made things right in one way or another. Not to switch gears or divert the attention, but I'm still waiting for my RW black friday order.

I stand corrected regarding instructions, but not having then isn't the end of the world. My last 2 very large kits had none. All rockets with minor exceptions go together the same way.

It has been over four weeks since I heard from Performance Hobbies.

I sent an email instruction that by May 6 2016 I either receive my parts or a partial refund.

No parts, no partial refund, no reply.

I looked up my payment information, $495.00 with shipping, not in September 2015 as I originally posted, but AUGUST 3, 2015!

I have filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission - he gets to enjoy talking to them now.

The end!

Last edited:
I stand corrected regarding instructions, but not having then isn't the end of the world. My last 2 very large kits had none. All rockets with minor exceptions go together the same way.

Get a Wildman kit. Instructions downloadable before the purchase. Build a few and the techniques are applicable to others and the Smok'in Rockets "collection" of parts.
Yes most rockets go together about the same way but why would a beginner start with a 6" diameter or larger project?

In fact if the dealers wanted to be completely transparent, they should advertise a "kit" as something with instructions and list items needed to complete like harness, chutes, retainer electronics etc.
A "collection of parts" would be the airframe tubes, nosecone, ebay, fins, bulkheads and centering rings period. The rest is up to the builder. Kurt

I have known Kenny for 12yrs, this type of stuff is common! Don't ever pay a vendor until the stuff is in you hands. I paid for some 29mm kosdon hardware at the Fall RedGlare in 2012 as a christmas present for my kid who was doing EX. Well, good thing that wasn't her only gift... Still nothing!

HOUND HIM TO DEATH!

I don't understand why people have such trouble with Ken. I've never had to hound him over a single order and I've easily paid him almost a thousand dollars over the years. The only SNAFU i've had with him is when he accidentally switched the orders for me and my secret santa, but that was sorted out within a day or so. Yes, he can be a bit hard to contact, but he's on the road almost every day of the year to go to launches.

I understand that. I just don't get how some people have zero issues whatsoever and others seem to never be able to get their product.

I understand that. I just don't get how some people have zero issues whatsoever and others seem to never be able to get their product.

Because he's inconsistent? If 75% of the time you're good.... that doesn't make the other 25% good. You've done 1,000 with him. In that time he's likely done a half million in net sales. Leaves a lot of room for bad experiences.

With any vendor, it's important to not pay a dime until you know they have product. Don't just assume they have it ready to go. There are some people I've tried to pay early.... they refuse to take payment until they have product ready to ship. I've had zero issues with those people, and I bet they don't spend much time on customer service emails.

Kenny is a small business man who follows the 3 rules of small business
1. Get the money
2. Get the money
3. Get the money

Unfortunately his Ferengi side sometimes forgets the law in the USA says you cant Get the Money unless you can actually deliver..... He sells stuff he doesn't have or cant find! The cant find part of his "organization" is the most maddening to his customers and biggest reason he lives in his truck!

From what I've heard, it's best to deal with Ken in person or via phone call...he apparently doesn't tend to emails so well. I've also got some parts outstanding from an order last year, but I'll eventually catch up with him on a possible next order (oddly enough, I was thinking of getting that X-15 as the next order) or maybe at a launch on a road trip visit.

The X-15 is sexy. Would be awesome if a guy like Mike Crupe made one....*whistles innocently*

oh man Mike, that thing looks sick! I want a little one with two 29's

I'm going to attempt a 4" blue tube dual 38. Some things like the canopy and tailcone are going to be issues but i'll figure it out.

A 3" dual 29 would be sweet

Last edited:
Yes, however that's smaller. Plus research a bit before you consider... :wink:

Sorry haven't been on his website in a long while and was unaware that he sold an X-15, I just thought Hanger 11 was the only place to buy one.

No apologies needed...no problem I see here with the reco really; however note that the Performance Hobbies one is 6" and 54mm while the other is 4" and 38mm. Also the H11 vendor sells as a side business so response and timeliness can also be an issue as well there. YMMV

Back