Another day and another new guy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocBrown

Great Scott!
Reaction score
I am just anothernew guy and I have been lurking here for a while . I got my start inrocketry
in the summer of1970. Yep that was a long time ago… I grew up mowing yards andworking odd jobs to finance my rocketry hobby so money was tight. Istill remember how exciting it was to receive a package from Estes .
I am impressed withthis forum and the number of projects that are going on. The membershere are friendly and very helpful and that’s says a lot aboutcharacter .

Welcome back to rocketry!

As you can tell, there have been some huge innovations since the 1970's...like the prices!

Not sure where you are, but if you haven't hooked up with a club, that is another fun thing to do. They will definitely have good info on launch sites, and such, now that flying season for most of the country is beginning (I live in California, so things are a bit backward...with the drought, we can't launch in the summer due to fire hazard, so I tend to fly more in the winter, and build in the summer and fall).

Take care!

Thanks for the welcome guys. I started to return to rocketry in the early 90s .I sat down and built a Strato blaster .I worked on it for weeks. The sanding, painting the electronics, and the RC stuff.
Finally it was finished and the big day came for the launch . She looked beautiful in the early morning sun light sitting on the launch pad .
The moment came and the launch button was pushed and blammo the motor catoed . It was a D11-P and I still have its sister engine never fired. Anyway it fried the rocket doing so much damage that hardly nothing was salvageable. I contacted Estes and they promptly replaced the glider but I just didn’t have it in me to build it again. I did build a few rockets and fly them a SR71 and a couple of others which I still have. Ahh.....Goodtimes
I started building rocket again a couple of years ago . I now have built over twenty and have them setting around and fly them when I get a chance.

Welcome back. Sorry that your first return ended up with a CATO. But glad that your second return has been more successful. Post some pix of your fleet!

Welcome, I also got my start around 70 and am getting back into it with the grandkids now have built several rockets as well as launched a couple from my childhood (yes I still have a few and a couple are in great shape)

Welcome back, my friends
To the show that never ends.
We're so glad you could attend.
Come inside, come inside!

Wow thanks guys I gathered up most of my rockets and put them on my desk. To get all of the rockets I had to take two pics so they sort of over lap - sorry. These are a motley crew collection some are finished and some I am still working on. The semi scale Saturn v ,SPEV,1970s Renegade and a few others are currently under construction . The 1970s renegade was a awesome rocket in its day. It was d-powered , large and a really good flier. I recently ordered a Estes Star Orbiter and it was damaged in shipping and I had to cut a few inches from both tubes . I found the plans for the 70s Renegade on this site : https://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/est1271.htm . So the Star Orbiter became a 70s Renegade with up to F power so it should be a good flier.
I am trying figure the photo posting thing out so I can post a couple of pictures.

There behind a glass is a real blade of grass be careful as you pass. Move along move along.

Wow thanks guys I gathered up most of my rockets and put them on my desk. To get all of the rockets I had to take two pics so they sort of over lap - sorry. These are a motley crew collection some are finished and some I am still working on. The semi scale Saturn v ,SPEV,1970s Renegade and a few others are currently under construction . The 1970s renegade was a awesome rocket in its day. It was d-powered , large and a really good flier. I recently ordered a Estes Star Orbiter and it was damaged in shipping and I had to cut a few inches from both tubes . I found the plans for the 70s Renegade on this site : https://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/est1271.htm . So the Star Orbiter became a 70s Renegade with up to F power so it should be a good flier.
I am trying figure the photo posting thing out so I can post a couple of pictures.

There behind a glass is a real blade of grass be careful as you pass. Move along move along.

You may have to get a few more posts before you can post photos. The easiest way to post photos using the TRF software is to click the "Go Advanced" button, then click on "Attachements" and that will bring up a pop-up window so that you can add files or select from ones already on your TRF account.

I am just anothernew guy and I have been lurking here for a while . I got my start inrocketry
in the summer of1970. Yep that was a long time ago… I grew up mowing yards andworking odd jobs to finance my rocketry hobby so money was tight. Istill remember how exciting it was to receive a package from Estes .
I am impressed withthis forum and the number of projects that are going on. The membershere are friendly and very helpful and that’s says a lot aboutcharacter .
Welcome to a fun place to hang out and talk rocketry!
Let us know if we can help in any way

Nice work Doc.!!!

Thanks! I appreciate that and also thanks to everyone for the kind comments. There are some of those rockets that I am still working on. I try to keep two or three rockets going all the time . That way while I'm waiting on paint to dry on one rocket I can continue working on another . I really enjoy assembling these rockets and I find it relaxing sort of like fishing .

Last edited:
Back