APE - Screwdriver guides for Missile Works screw switches.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisAttebery

Reaction score
I've designed a screwdriver guide for Missile Work's screw switches. The hole for the screwdriver is 3/16" and it's tapered 90 degrees. It's sized for a precision #1 screwdriver like a Wiha. I've pocketed the backside so the screw is captured and cannot fall out.

They are .375" tall x .400" wide x .875" long and they weigh 2.7g each. They require a #4 cap head screw that is 1/4" longer than if you mounted the switch by itself.

I've added them to my web store. I've priced them at $1.50 each with a minimum order of 5 pieces.

https://ape-rc.com/#!/Missile-Works-Screw-Switch-Screwdriver-Guide/p/65647195/category=11909535

attachment.php

Last edited:
This is a simple but really, really nice product...one that I found myself wishing for this past weekend! I think Mr. DizWolf would agree as well...

Let us know pricing, and maybe also consider knocking down or rounding the short edges at the top and bottom of the picture for those of us that mount them sideways. That would permit them to fit a little closer to the tube if necessary.

I love it... I mount two screw switches on a sled I made that I transfer among all my 3" and larger rockets. finding the screws is a pain, and I need to have a bit of an angle on the screw driver to turn them... These would help with that a bunch; more for the fumbling around factor. Others would appreciate me having them so I take less time at the pads...
I wonder... Would purchase of the doo-hickeys also include two of those set screws? I can get 4-40 screws really easily, but not the socket-cap ones like that.

Very interested. So m any options of new stuff to order from you. I might have to sign over a paycheck.

Aww Nuts! A month too late Chris. I just got my Nose Cone ebay assembly from you. I'd absolutely have placed a couple of these on the same order! I tried the Wire Nut trick, but didn't drill it out wide enough to make it work. I see where this could absolutely work. What's the weight looking like? Regardless, post when in production! I'll grab a few.

They are 2.7g each. That's almost exactly what the switch itself weighs.

Aww Nuts! A month too late Chris. I just got my Nose Cone ebay assembly from you. I'd absolutely have placed a couple of these on the same order! I tried the Wire Nut trick, but didn't drill it out wide enough to make it work. I see where this could absolutely work. What's the weight looking like? Regardless, post when in production! I'll grab a few.

I will definitely be interested in these. I have been trying to make my own when I can sneak time on on one of our old Bridgeport's at work.

Last edited:
They are roughly .5" x .375" x 1" and they weigh 2.7g each. They require a #4 cap head screw that is 1/4" longer than if you mounted the switch by itself.

I should have a batch done early next week.

I'm very interested in your new product. Pardon my ignorance, but is the "depth" .5" or .375" for the smaller version? I may modify my current L3 to use it.

Thanks,
StanO

It just so happens I'm working on a project to use those switches. I'd be very interested!

Phil L.

Is there a chance I can request a custom version that features a tap drilled hole instead of the through holes? I can tap them on my end, no problem... I like to mount my screw switches direct to the airframe so I know exactly where they are... And I don't have to fool with aligning the av bay at all. Let me know. I have a launch coming up in a few weeks, so it's probably too soon to be able to request this addition but I thought I'd ask for future purposes...

Hi Mike,

I'm done machining these for the foreseeable future. I made a pretty large batch.

How would your method work? Are you planning to screw the switch to the guide with a short screw, then screw the guide/switch assembly to the airframe? Why couldn't you epoxy a nut on the back side of the switch and then pass a screw all the way through?

Is there a chance I can request a custom version that features a tap drilled hole instead of the through holes? I can tap them on my end, no problem... I like to mount my screw switches direct to the airframe so I know exactly where they are... And I don't have to fool with aligning the av bay at all. Let me know. I have a launch coming up in a few weeks, so it's probably too soon to be able to request this addition but I thought I'd ask for future purposes...

Back