3" min diameter punisher

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hognutz63

Reaction score
So how far has anyone pushed a "stock" minimum diameter 3" punisher from Wildman?

Every attempt to fly minimum diameter failed at Airfest last year.

The L935 flown stock was the highest altitude so far (as far as I know).

Every attempt to fly minimum diameter failed at Airfest last year.

The L935 flown stock was the highest altitude so far (as far as I know).

really? how many failed? any idea what caused them to fail?

Pretty sure there were both motor failure and structural failures

I have an extended one ( booster 56") that I have had north of 20,000' @ 1727mph Mach 2.27.

Mine went at close to mach 1 into the ground. Shoved the av bay about half way up into the tube and the motor ended up in the bottom of the av bay after it broke the mount.

Mine went at close to mach 1 into the ground. Shoved the av bay about half way up into the tube and the motor ended up in the bottom of the av bay after it broke the mount.

Why did that happen, deployment issue or stability under power?

Mother of all power prangs. Anything salvageable?

Yes, fin can was salvageable, fins stayed mostly intact. Luckily impact was into very soft muddy ground. I have actually fully repaired it, and it will fly again tomorrow.

Why did that happen, deployment issue or stability under power?

The apogee charge didn't go off, and the main went off about 250 ft above ground, but because of the air pressure on the nose it actually blew the nose part. The broken nose actually came down under the main, and the rest did a core sample upto the fin can.

Mine is just a Punisher 75 with no MMT or CRs. I got it second hand so no idea if it was ever sold like that, but it still has fin slots and tabs and everything.

Mine is just a Punisher 75 with no MMT or CRs. I got it second hand so no idea if it was ever sold like that, but it still has fin slots and tabs and everything.

Is there a 3" minimum diameter Punisher kit available? What exactly do you mean by "stock"? Sorry if I missed something obvious in a previous thread.

Exactly what smapdiage9 said is how I got mine. Just wondering what people were doing to make it survivable, i.e. t2t, exotic fillets etc.

Last edited:
I flew one with no T-T. Just fins glued on tube with healthy fillets. [ 1.5 in PVC tool]
Flew on a 4 grain 75mm. Research motor, went 18,789 ft at M-1.8
I did lay a strip of 6oz glass 2in wide on top of fillets. 1in on tube, 1in. on fins, then covered it with cosmetic fillet.
Very simple basic technique. I plan on building another same way with longer airframe to handle a 6xl motor, to fly at airfest on M-1450.
That should go 30,'s I may add a layer of plain glass just 1/2 way up fin , but no full blown T-T.
I have flown, and have seen flown a number of minimum diam. 75's without T-T to deem it needed.
Be sure fins are aligned and heat cure the fillets...basic stuff.

I would not try it,[flying M's] if it were my first rodeo however.

If you build with proper technique, I see no issues.

PS... I was lazy and just added a payload/NC from another rocket,so in it's real configuration {Punisher] should go higher.

Last edited:
I flew one with no T-T. Just fins glued on tube with healthy fillets. [ 1.5 in PVC tool]
Flew on a 4 grain 75mm. Research motor, went 18,789 ft at M-1.8
I did lay a strip of 6oz glass 2in wide on top of fillets. 1in on tube, 1in. on fins, then covered it with cosmetic fillet.
Very simple basic technique. I plan on building another same way with longer airframe to handle a 6xl motor, to fly at airfest on M-1450.
That should go 30,'s I may add a layer of plain glass just 1/2 way up fin , but no full blown T-T.
I have flown, and have seen flown a number of minimum diam. 75's without T-T to deem it needed.
Be sure fins are aligned and heat cure the fillets...basic stuff.

I would not try it,[flying M's] if it were my first rodeo however.

If you build with proper technique, I see no issues.

PS... I was lazy and just added a payload/NC from another rocket,so in it's real configuration {Punisher] should go higher.

Did you use the fin slots? I was going to JB Weld my fin roots, but keep going back and forth on using the slots or rotating 60 degrees so they glue to plain tubing.

I did 6oz tape strips over the fillets on my Tomach, feels rock solid.

I would use the slots. Without something solid in them ,i.e. the fin tabs, you are creating a seriously weakened section of airframe.

If you want truly surface mounted fins then get a tube without slots.

Either way, I would recommend using either a laminating epoxy with amendment for the filets, or a prefilled epoxy ( in essence with amendment added). Laying a layer of glass over this is a good idea, and a tip to tip is not going to hurt anything whether glass or carbon.

Did you use the fin slots? I was going to JB Weld my fin roots, but keep going back and forth on using the slots or rotating 60 degrees so they glue to plain tubing.

No I started with a blank tube. It all depends on what you are doing.
Just flying small 75's or stuffing something rad in it.

What ARE you doing?

I would use the slots. Without something solid in them ,i.e. the fin tabs, you are creating a seriously weakened section of airframe.

If you want truly surface mounted fins then get a tube without slots.

Either way, I would recommend using either a laminating epoxy with amendment for the filets, or a prefilled epoxy ( in essence with amendment added). Laying a layer of glass over this is a good idea, and a tip to tip is not going to hurt anything whether glass or carbon.

Oh yes, if I rotated past the slots I would laminate over them.

That said, if the motor is longer than the slots I keep thinking the airframe stresses around those areas would be negligible.

I am looking forward to my Punisher Sport arriving; I am going to build it with minimum diameter micro tabs in slots, and see how it feels.

No I started with a blank tube. It all depends on what you are doing.
Just flying small 75's or stuffing something rad in it.

What ARE you doing?

My target is high altitude on 75mm4G motors, maybe with some smaller or sparky motors thrown in for fun flights but that is secondary to the altitude. I am not going to lengthen the airframe so that will be the limit for this rocket.

Back