OK...Dorky question....

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milehigh

Reaction score
What is BAR an acronym for? I couldn't find a glossary on this site. Been away from model rocketry Way too long!:facepalm:

Born again rocketeer. Refers to rocketeers who went away from the hobby for a while and then came back.

As are a staggering number of folks around here (including myself). This hobby seems to lend itself to that pattern, for whatever reason.

Come to think of it, I believe a lot of us BARs are baby boomers that got our start in model rocketry at the height of the Apollo Space Program craze. Like myself, many of us dropped out of the hobby to pursue college, careers, and families. Now that we're all reaching the age of 50 or better, we find we now have more time and resources to devote to past pursuits. Just my theory....

:cheers:I guess I could say I'm in the same boat. Welcome back to the hobby. You will be astounded at how the hobby has changed. Enjoy your re-initiation and guard your wallet closely.

What is BAR an acronym for? I couldn't find a glossary on this site. Been away from model rocketry Way too long!:facepalm:

There are lots of acronyms to learn and several threads here are devoted to the subject. Before getting back into model rocketry I always thought a BAR was a Browning Automatic Rifle like my uncle used in Okinawa, he was a "B.A.R." man.

I became a BAR back in the 90's when I saw in an R/C magazine that reloadable motors with composite propellant were available. I was excited about model rocketry all over again.

Come to think of it, I believe a lot of us BARs are baby boomers that got our start in model rocketry at the height of the Apollo Space Program craze. Like myself, many of us dropped out of the hobby to pursue college, careers, and families. Now that we're all reaching the age of 50 or better, we find we now have more time and resources to devote to past pursuits. Just my theory....

That pretty much nails it from my vantage point. I started kicking this hobby around back during the Mercury, Gemini & Apolo missions. The NASA interest was always there, but building my first model rocket was around 1965. The Estes Mighty D motor was a long time coming from my beginnings. And I actually qualify as a BABAR. That would be twice baked....uh--er-- BORN Again Rocketeer.

I just heard bar, and thought someone was getting drinks.... Wound up flying rockets when I was here and then found out we're pretty good at drinking too!

Welcome back.... Planning an L1 shot yet?

Hey, I am 50 and don't you dare call me a Baby Boomer! That ended in 1963. I am a senior member of Generation X. :cool:

mikec, Thanks for the link!

Buckeye...Sorry, man, I stand humbly corrected!

I thought a BAR was something Davey Crockett killed when he was only three. :confused2:

The above uses of BAR are the norm, however Bay Area Rocketry uses it as the abbreviation for their company as well.

Thank goodness Mr. Crockett is not around these days to continue killin' BARs.. some of us might be staring down the muzzle of a flintlock!

I thought BAR was some sort of test someone took to become one of them there lawyer folks.

Hey, I am 50 and don't you dare call me a Baby Boomer! That ended in 1963. I am a senior member of Generation X. :cool:

Similar here - I'm 40, so my parents are baby boomers... I was initially launching at a low point in the hobby's popularity, around 1990. I got away from it in college, and wasn't sucked back in until about a year and half ago by a niece & nephew that were interested.

what would it be iffen a person got into rocketry as a youngen back in the 70's, got back into it in the 90's, then again recently?
Born Again Rocketeer Again?:facepalm:

I'm here to testify it works the same for an NBR ( New Born Rocketeer, AKA Newbie, AKA n00b, AKA me ). From Bandit 3pk at Hobby Lobby to a quarter of the garage in about 200 Ns flat.
I humbly propose NBR ( "n00ber" ) for the other end of the spectrum, those of us for whom this is our first foray.

Back