For some reason I want to build this

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neil_w

OpenRocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
This silly thing has been rattling around in my head for a while.

attachment.php

I know plenty of upscale Skywriters and such have been built and flown, but I don't recall any with a proper hexagonal body. Anyone know if it has been done before? I also have a few mildly clever ideas about how to make some of the other bits (like the point) really look pencil-like. The fins would be a bit of a problem, because it could really use clear fins, but I don't know if I want to mess with the lexan or plexiglass or whatever.

Fortunately I'm occupied for a while, but I have a feeling that eventually I'm gonna go forward with this.

super_skywriter_3dside.png

You could laminate a tube with 6 strips of flat wood to get the "hex" look going on and use a conical nose cone. And as far as gluing plastic to wood, that may be better answered by someone else. I think Loctite makes something that good.

You could laminate a tube with 6 strips of flat wood to get the "hex" look going on and use a conical nose cone. And as far as gluing plastic to wood, that may be better answered by someone else. I think Loctite makes something that good.

I was thinking 1/32" birch plywood sheets for the hex skin, supported by longitudinal balsa ribs, around a BT-55 core. The nose cone would be more fun: start with a BT-60 conical balsa nose, and then sand down at the base so that it is hexagonal and matches the profile of the body. Then it would (should?) really look like a sharpened pencil point. Something like this:

attachment.php

I would cut some more pieces of the 1/32" plywood sheet to cover those curvy bits at the base of the nose cone and pre-paint them before gluing, to ensure good share separation with the bare wood part of the NC.

That would be cool if I could do a good enough job on it. Seems like it might be a fun project at some point in the future. I'll have to research possibilities with the fins first.

pencil.png

..or you could fold some heavy card stock. I think I used some stock from a box of dog biscuits to make this center module thing. Cut enough CRS and it should be plenty strong being only 1.5"
May take a few tries to get the width with folds correct. To me, trying is he fun. OH,ya..score the folds and it will make for a nice sharp corner.

P.S. FANTASTIC idea for the NC :clap:

I think I would start with the NC and make the "pencil" to fit the tip shoulder. At least making the NC first will give you a general idea of the flat width.

Go for it.

oddisee%20001.jpg

Last edited:
Use graphite for the nosecone tip. Easy to turn on a lathe, but messy. Ask someone who does research motors.

..or you could fold some heavy card stock. I think I used some stock from a box of dog biscuits to make this center module thing. Cut enough CRS and it should be plenty strong being only 1.5"
May take a few tries to get the width with folds correct. To me, trying is he fun. OH,ya..score the folds and it will make for a nice sharp corner.

Hmm, possible. I'll have to think about that.

P.S. FANTASTIC idea for the NC :clap:
Thanks, that was the idea that really pushed me forward to think about this seriously. I was proud of it when I thought of it.:marshmallow:<= I never know what this is supposed to be used for

Use graphite for the nosecone tip. Easy to turn on a lathe, but messy. Ask someone who does research motors.
Oof, I think that might be *too* realistic for me. But that would allow this to actually write, which was something I toyed with. Maybe if I use a crappy enough paint on the point it'll rub off on paper... Anyway I'll stick with painting the end of the NC.

I was at the hardware store today, and a plumb bob looked like it would make a perfect mandrel to lay up a CF, FG, or paper mache cone.

That actually looks like it indeed would work as a mandrel, if I wanted to construct that way. But I really want to stick with balsa, because it'll provide genuine woodgrain between the yellow body and the black point (I'll CA it and it'll be strong but still show the grain). I think my plan to sand down this nose cone will work perfectly. (for those wondering, I'll cut off the shoulder and glue on a BT55 bulkhead instead).

I may just have to actually build this thing. Won't happen until at least the winter, though, most likely, or even next spring. Still gotta figure out the fin situation. Open for suggestions on that.

Cool idea. I bought a bank a few years ago to do this.

Very cool project!
Make sure you upload build pics if you decide to build it :)

I would like to add ,if you didn't come up with that fantastic idea for the NC, I would bet dollars to donuts, that Gary Byrum could turn one for you. He's made a few NCs for me and I will say his lathe skills are phenomenal. Heck, he could turn the eraser end with the grooves/ridges too.

Back