"COURIER" 2 Stage D-Engine Payloader

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milehigh

Reaction score
OK, As a new member to the forum, here are plans for a reliable 2-stage D-engine model which I designed, built, and flew successfully back in 1984. I haven't checked to see if the nose cone is still available from Estes, but substitutions can be made if necessary. If you have a lathe, a reasonable facsimile can be turned from balsa wood. Same goes with the larger payload transition coupler.

Sorry I don't have any pics of the prototype. I no longer have this model and failed to take photos of it back in '84. If you build and fly one, let me know how it goes. Enjoy!

View attachment Courier Model Rocket.PDF

Nice !!
Hope you enjoy the build and enjoy launching it even more. I recall that the original flew very nicely. The one thing I would improve on if I were to build another would be a mechanism to hold the engines, rather than friction fit. Back in the day, some of my models were fitted with engine holders made from very thin piano wire. One end was looped around the engine block with a slit cut on the outside of the block to keep the body tube from bulging. The wire would share the space with the engine, and had a small hook at the end that would just fit over the engine casing.

I hadn't realized until this morning that this design was actually published back in the day. I had totally forgotten about this until I ran across it this morning while researching something else. The plans appeared in the March 1985 issue of American Spacemodeler !! Vol. 28 #3, page 5 to be specific. I've been away way too long.....

I hadn't realized until this morning that this design was actually published back in the day. I had totally forgotten about this until I ran across it this morning while researching something else. The plans appeared in the March 1985 issue of American Spacemodeler !! Vol. 28 #3, page 5 to be specific. I've been away way too long.....

Not only was the two stage design posted in 1985. Estes had a Courier kit out in 1983. Much smaller single stage model, 2-stage profile. This smaller rocket was/is one of my go to demo rockets for smaller fields and grade school demo's as the Courier could fly on any 18mm motor 1/2A -C and streamer recovering in spaces as small as a football field.
I must have worn out 4 or 5 of these cool little high flying streaner models back in the day. Liked it so much I rebuild my one remaining 80's version still in my fleet and downscaled it to micro maxx power:)

This larger D12 powered 2-stage looks pretty good but also will require Huge flying fields and lots of hiking time.

028a01-sm_Courier_05-28-89.jpg

028a02a-sm_Courier Rework 05-28-89_09-13-06.jpg

350p01e-sm_MM Courier (T2+) Complete_10-23-08.jpg

This larger D12 powered 2-stage looks pretty good but also will require Huge flying fields and lots of hiking time.

An emphatic "YES" TO BOTH !

Back