New to the forum today

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milehigh

Reaction score
Hi, All,
Just joined the forum today.

I'll start off by stating that I don't build or fly model rockets these days, but was quite the avid practitioner of the hobby between 1973 and 1986.
I recently ran across a plastic tote in my basement that contained all of the memorabilia and remnants of my involvement in the hobby from 'them old days'.
Among the stuff were two of my old models - an Mini-Brute 'Hornet' (my first ever model), and my old Delta-II / Astrocam. This is all I have left of a former fleet of well over 100 rockets!
Also in the box are my nearly complete collection of 'Model Rocketry Magazine' (1969-1972), the complete collection of news letters from the old club I belonged to in Colorado Springs (Skywatchers Rocket Club / Rocky Mountain Association of Rocketry NAR section). I served as editor of that publication that ran from 1973 through 1984. Also in the box are a good collection of Estes Centuri / CMR / FSI catalogs spanning 1969 - 1986. Oh, and there's my home-built launch controller! Hasn't ignited a rocket motor since 1986... One of the most prized possessions in the box are a couple of unused range flight cards from NARAM-11 (1969 - U.S. Air Force Academy). These were given to me back in the mid 70s by none other than Mr. Bill Roe himself!

So a little of my model rocket history... I got first exposure to model rocketry when a friend invited me to go spend a day watching the activities at NARAM -11. I was greatly interested at the time, but didn't become seriously involved in the hobby until 1973. That is when I joined Skywatchers/ROMAR and began building and flying rockets like there was no tomorrow. At that time, the club was fairly small, but we held meets, public demos, and sport launches on a regular basis. Since we didn't have the required number of NAR members, our NAR section sanction expired in 1974 and wasn't renewed until 1980. At that time, things really picked up. I became the NAR Mountain States Regional Director, and organized the first of four annual regional competition meets (HOTROCs 1-4). I was contest director for all of these events. This led directly to the formation of NAR sections in Denver and Utah. (I recall that it was in 1984 that the three Mountain States sections - ROMAR, COSMIC (Denver), and WARP (Utah) were in the top 10 NAR sections in the country as far as competition points accrued.)
I also had the pleasure of having the acquaintance of one Mr. Herb Desind - "Mr. Cineroc". He ended up sending me two of his modified Cinerocs which I would fly at various locations in Colorado, then send him the film for processing. I still have a couple copies of those flight reels in my tote. I was saddened to learn that Mr. Desind had since passed away.
In 1986, virtually all of the members of ROMAR except myself moved out of state, so the club abruptly ceased to exist.
Around the same time, I was in the process of starting a family, and furthering my career in the electronics industry, so interest in model rocketry fell to the way-side. Around 1995 I ended up selling all of my models, engines, and supplies to the Denver model rocket club that was in operation at the time. (I wonder if somebody out there still has some of my old models?).
So this brings me to today. Looking through that tote got me into a mode of looking on-line to see what the state of the art of model rocketry is these days. Which led me to this forum. I also visited a hobby store to see what was being offered in the way of model rockets. I was astounded at the huge number of ready-to-fly rockets offered by Estes! Thrilled to see that they now had E and F engines! (Back in my time in the hobby, one could only get these from FSI or AVI.)
Kind of taken aback by the prices on Estes engines as well...but it's today.

Anyway, I will be hanging around here for awhile. I welcome any discussions with you all about anything model rocket. Who knows, maybe the bug will bite me again, and I'll go spring for a model or two. And there IS an active NAR section in Denver....Hmmmm...

Cheers

-Ed
former NAR #25180

Welcome!

In my opinion the state the art of the hobby is pretty great these days. If you can hang around here and read all this stuff and *not* get bit by the bug, then you're a better man than I am. Or something. :)

Well, Ed, I'd say you are already on your way to re-exploding into the hobby, getting your Level 1, 2 and 3 certs, and needing to remortgage your house. You are simply in denial. But, WELCOME ABOARD! :grin:

CRASH in Denver, COSROCS in the Springs, SCORE in Pueblo, Tripoli Colorado in Hartsel and NCR in Northern Colorado. Lots of old timers and BARS in each club to reminisce about the good ole days.

Thanks for the replies.

Daddyisabar,
I looked up COSROCS and found one of my old cronies - Warren Layfield!
I've also re-established contact with one of my good buddies in Utah, Randall Redd.....

Thanks for the replies.

Daddyisabar,
I've also re-established contact with one of my good buddies in Utah, Randall Redd.....

Good Job! Come fly some of your classics at CRASH -https://crashonline.org/launches

Hope Warren is doing well. Keep up with your old rocket buddies before it is too late. Never too late to fly an old rocket or build one of these new fangled high powered ones the kids fly these days!

Thanks for the replies.

Daddyisabar,

Randall does the neatest odd-rocks I've ever seen. UROC is a great club with a fantastic launch each year called Hellfire, which is held on the Salt Flats, weather permitting.

Yep,
Randall cites me as the reason he got started into building odd-rocs. It was one of the un-official 'fun' events held at the HOTROC Regional meets back in the day.

TRF can always use more new old blood! If you got Randall into oddrocs, I expect you might keep things weird here. :cool: And, don't listen to Daddyisabar. He'll have you putting your motors on the wrong end.:lol:

Yep,
Randall cites me as the reason he got started into building odd-rocs. It was one of the un-official 'fun' events held at the HOTROC Regional meets back in the day.

Still plenty of oddrocs flying in the Mile High air! All odd-rocketeers welcome! Always could use the help explaining things at the RSO table:)

TRF can always use more new old blood! If you got Randall into oddrocs, I expect you might keep things weird here. :cool: And, don't listen to Daddyisabar. He'll have you putting your motors on the wrong end.:lol:

I am still searching for those who love clustered tractor motors, and monster rockets, and airplane rockets. Only someone really crazy would put all them together in one rocket!

Ahhhhhh,

Sounds like exactly what happened to me 12 years ago. Found a box of my rocket stuff stashed in the garage. I have a fair stash of BP motors from the late 60's before Estes changed to the metric classification. Of course they're not safe but
I started building and flying with my son as I could just drive around the corner to a driving range that is of course empty early Saturday and Sunday mornings 'cause folks are at a golf course then and not driving balls.
Found out there was a group out of Peoria and started from there. You'll have fun. Kurt

Ed-Welcome to the insanity we call TRF! You know you want the rush of pushing the button-go for it! Straight smoke and good chutes.

Welcome!

I see you speak my language (Cineroc)(Despite me living here in the People's Republic of China, I'm pretty fluent in Cineroc).

Looking forward to seeing more of what you're up to.

All The Best!

Last edited:
Welcome Ed...
You're really going to like TRF
being a part of your rocketry.....
I think rocketry is about sharing it with others like yourself....
Enjoy...

Teddy

Ed-Welcome to the insanity we call TRF! You know you want the rush of pushing the button-go for it! Straight smoke and good chutes.

I agree!

Ed, why else would you join this forum and post? You know you want to build something. :)

I met Randall Redd at one of the Hartsel launches in the early 90s. I think the first launch I saw of his was a rubber chicken!

"The power of the launch button compels you....The power of the launch button compels you....The power of the... Oh!! Yes, Ahem!"

Thank you all for the warm welcomes and replies. I fully admit to have been entertaining thoughts of driving over to the hobby store and plunking down for a model rocket kit. Problem is, I have a lot of hobbies already - I am an active musician, I do hand tool woodworking, and some LEGO sculpture on the side.

I'm pretty sure my significant other would not be thrilled by adding another hobby to all this. She had to put up with my rocket excesses 30 years ago, you know, having an entire room in the house dedicated to model rocket stuff, and being involved with some rocketry related event every other weekend.

Maybe if I could start out very discreetly....

Maybe get the grand-kids involved as a convenient cover....

Maybe if I only stick to...let's say...only one or two rocket kits...and a package of engines....and a very small range box....

And confine this modest collection of material to a small corner of the workshop...maybe just a solitary shelf.

And resist the temptation to contact the local rocket club...

And resist the temptation to think about renewing NAR membership....

"The power of the launch button compels you....The power of the launch button compels you....The power of the... Oh!! Yes, Ahem!"

Thank you all for the warm welcomes and replies. I fully admit to have been entertaining thoughts of driving over to the hobby store and plunking down for a model rocket kit. Problem is, I have a lot of hobbies already - I am an active musician, I do hand tool woodworking, and some LEGO sculpture on the side.

I'm pretty sure my significant other would not be thrilled by adding another hobby to all this. She had to put up with my rocket excesses 30 years ago, you know, having an entire room in the house dedicated to model rocket stuff, and being involved with some rocketry related event every other weekend.

Maybe if I could start out very discreetly....

Maybe get the grand-kids involved as a convenient cover....

Maybe if I only stick to...let's say...only one or two rocket kits...and a package of engines....and a very small range box....

And confine this modest collection of material to a small corner of the workshop...maybe just a solitary shelf.

And resist the temptation to contact the local rocket club...

And resist the temptation to think about renewing NAR membership....
*******HA!******** (oh, sorry..I meant-that sounds reasonable!)

"Maybe get the grand-kids involved as a convenient cover..."

That's your ticket in. Take them to a local launch and then let them be the driving factor. Since you are a woodworker, don't buy kits, scratch build them. That way it is part of your existing hobby.

Last edited:
“BWA-HA-HA-HA-HAAAAAaaaa !!”, laughed milehigh maniacally, wringing his bony hands with villainous glee.
He swiftly descended the staircase leading to his secret underground la-BOR-atory /wood shop/recreation room…..

"Maybe get the grand-kids involved as a convenient cover..."

somewhat how i am now a 2nd gen BAR.
kept seeing the kits in stores, my great nephew(2 1/2 years old) would climb on my lap to see what all the noise was in the vidoes i was watching and saying, "WOW!!"
i HAD to get acouple estes kits....
and break out my aeotech mirage that hadnt flown in 10 or so years.
and pml amraam 2
and lance beta

HAD to get motors for em all,too!

all worth it seeing that lil guys reaction when he pushes the button and HIS rockets go up!

you MIGHT find people in one of them clubs willing to store a few rockets for ya.:wink:
trunks hold quite a few,too!:facepalm:

Last edited:
Back