Soviet N1

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbfrazier

Reaction score
While browsing thru YouTube last night, a Soviet N1 video was recommended to me.

I saw the huge Moon Race 2001 N1 model and was wondering if a kit is available in the mid power range or will I need to scratch build it.

I'm thinking of making a compliment for the Apogee or Estes Saturn V's.

The Apogee - Saturn V is 1/70 scale. A Soviet N1 at this scale would be just under 5ft.

The Estes - Saturn V is 1/100 scale. A Soviet N1 at this scale would be just under 3 1/2ft.

If a kit were to be produced what scale would you like?

I'm just thinking out loud, but would it great to have each one side by side on the launch pad.

Regards,

Keith Frazier

I think it'd be tough to get an N1 that's 5 feet tall to work as mid power. I think it'd be too heavy and draggy to fly very well with a G80. Now, a 1/100 would be awesome in my opinion.

Several modelers have made N-1 models. A good reference is the N-1 book available from ARA Press. " N-1: For The Moon and Mars"

www.arapress.com

One of the authors, Matt Johnson, has made several models of the N-1. Jack Hagarty of ARA Press edited the book, so I am sure he could
answer any questions about the book.

Chas

Matt Johnson attempted an N-1 in the mid-power range at NARAM 52 with about 30 motors in the first stage as shown here:

[video=youtube;0pfDt4wsUHc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pfDt4wsUHc[/video]

Andy Woerner also did an N-1 in the mid-power range before going on to build a team to build a huge HPR N-1. I cannot find a picture of Andy's smaller N-1 right now. I think there may have been a picture in Sport Rocketry years ago.

Matt Johnson attempted an N-1 in the mid-power range at NARAM 52 with about 30 motors in the first stage as shown here:

[video=youtube;0pfDt4wsUHc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pfDt4wsUHc[/video]

Andy Woerner also did an N-1 in the mid-power range before going on to build a team to build a huge HPR N-1. I cannot find a picture of Andy's smaller N-1 right now. I think there may have been a picture in Sport Rocketry years ago.

Matt could probably have scored high on Mission Points because the flight profile was so close to the real N1's. Although his recovered much better -- only 1 of the 4 stages was significantly damaged, while the real-life N-1's were totally trashed.

:y::y:

Last edited:
Hello,

I just got my copy of N-1: For the Moon and Mars. A Guide to the Soviet Superbooster (English and Russian Edition).

What can I say but WOW!!. If you ever wanted details on this rocket, GET this book. If you ever wanted to build this model, this book gives you all the data you need to build from all the versions produced.

This book will be cornerstone for the 1/100 scale model that will be showcased within the next few months. Bookmark this thread for the future updates on my attempt at creating this model. Wish me luc

Matt could probably have scored high on Mission Points because the flight profile was so close to the real N1's. Although his recovered much better -- only 1 of the 4 stages was significantly damaged, while the real-life N-1's were totally trashed.

:y::y:

lol I watched the video and thought the exact same thing...realistic!

There was a team that did a large scale HP one, I believe that John Coker was on the team, it shouldn't be hard to find the video.

Hello,

I just got my copy of N-1: For the Moon and Mars. A Guide to the Soviet Superbooster (English and Russian Edition).

What can I say but WOW!!. If you ever wanted details on this rocket, GET this book. If you ever wanted to build this model, this book gives you all the data you need to build from all the versions produced.

This book will be cornerstone for the 1/100 scale model that will be showcased within the next few months. Bookmark this thread for the future updates on my attempt at creating this model. Wish me luc

Bookmarked :)

Post #5 has a link to the large HPR N-1 on John Coker's website. I know that Andy Woerner was on this team that built the large N-1.

On Post #4 I have a link to Matt Johnson's mid-power N-1 that he flew at NARAM 52. He entered this model in competition and the detail looks fantastic. If you want to see his NARAM 52 model close-up go the time 3:12 on the link below.

[video=youtube;rho62KDHO4k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rho62KDHO4k[/video]

Andy Woerner's smaller N1 is featured in an old issue of Extreme Rocketry.

Back