Estes Nike Smoke #7247

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyfalcons

Reaction score
https://www.estesrockets.com/coming-soon/007247-nike-smoke

Great, I have a build pile (and mental scratchbuild design list) THIS big and Estes has to bring this out. My credit card just can't catch a friggen break, and this thing is going to look awesome next to my in-progress PSII Smoke. The only question is going to be, mod for 24mm or not. I know John Boren's answer will be buy two and do both. :)

Mod to 24mm and build an 18mm-24mm adapter!

Interesting, the parts pic Estes shows on the website is a different kit...was thinking Honest John but the decals don't match that.

Build it 24mm with an Estes retainer ring then buy the Rocketarium 18/24 adapter.

It made my build list also. I have the PSII in the build pile now. I'm considering getting the MadCow set as well. I do so love missiles. I'm building an Honest John set as well.

Another issue for you: The Saturn V is on its way too.

Last edited:
I saw that regarding the kit pic. I was trying to figure out what it was for, but came up empty.

I scratch-built this BT60 size Nike Smoke last fall, using a 24mm mount:
23348450436_ee2c7e40b1_c.jpg

I used Semroc's balsa cone. The only other probable difference is the use of TTW basswood fins, where I'm sure the Estes kit will have balsa and a plastic cone. Its a nice flyer though, but I'll probably buy at least one of the new kits when AC Supply has them (at $13, how can you not?) in stock...

The kit came today! This is going to be a fun little build. We begged Estes for more scale and they delivered! So it's our civic duty to buy a bunch of these and go to town.

Fins are one-piece balsa, 1/8" thick, and are surface-mounted.

20160525_093940.jpg

20160525_071309.jpg

Nose cone has the scale tip detailing that is missing on the PSII version.

20160525_094800.jpg

After some consideration, and seeing the parts in person, I decided to build simple and lightweight and go with the stock 18mm motor mount.

20160525_100900.jpg

A definite must add for my collection of Nike Smokes which already includes the 1.64 in. diameter Centuri kit, the Quest kit and the Estes PS II kit. I will definitely add a 24 mm. motor mount.

Rocketron

So, not too much of a build thread as it turns out. The fins get sanded to shape and glued on, and that's about it. I maidened this rocket yesterday with a B6-4 and it flew great. It received a lot of attention on the pad (scale rockets with long conical nose cones.......and flourescent fins........have a way of doing that). Anyway, this is a super kit that looks and flies great and I'm happy to have it in my collection. I think it's going to end up just like my BT-60 Patriot as one of my most-flown birds. It comes with a 15" parachute, which is probably a little oversize, but with 600' flights on a C motor it shouldn't have the chance to drift too far away. Hopefully Estes keeps this one in production for a long time. Here are some shots of the completed kit, including some size comparisons with an Alpha III, a BT-60 Patriot, and my 3" PSII Nike Smoke.

Little smoke and patriot.jpg

Smoke and AIII.jpg

Smoke on the chair.jpg

Smoke on the pad.jpg

Smoke on the rack.jpg

Smokes and Patriots.jpg

Two Smokes.jpg

Sorry to revive an old thread, but does anyone have a rocksim file for this model? (7247) I can't find one anywhere and mine is so modified (helixical baffle, redone engine mount as the first blew out, d/e booster) that I want to sim it before I put it on the pad.

If not, what similar nosecone could I use?

Tinker

Last edited:
I have a Rocksim file for a same-sized Nike Smoke, but it isn't the Estes kit, specifically. I did it before the kit came out, using the balsa Semroc cone to scratch build. But it is for the same tube size, so the basic form should line up if John kept it fairly close to scale. If you want to take that as a starting point to modify from, I can post it later.

I don't have a Rocsim file, but here is the OR file I did for the Estes kit. This is the kit version but with a 24mm mount. It will need to be refined a bit (proper weights, etc.) as it is very basic. Hope it is of some use.

View attachment Estes Nike Smoke (BT 60) 2.75 fin.ork

Attachments

• Estes Nike Smoke (BT 60) 2.75 fin.ork
    1.9 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
I made an OR file for it with the stock motor mount based on Mugs914's modified file. I will post it when I get home. On a side note : I have an Aerotech D10 to put into this NS, should hit about 1000 ft.

Thank you all. I think I figured out how to represent it in Rocksim with a tiny transition between the 'cone' and the body.

Tinker

On a side note : I have an Aerotech D10 to put into this NS, should hit about 1000 ft.

It flies great on the D-10, but thats the engine that took out the motor mount. :facepalm: The cause was the baffle (which is too restrictive). Works well with a c6 though so I rebuilt it with vented wooden centering rings and built a d/e booster for the rocket as it was getting heavy with the baffle and the beefy new motor mount. I didn't rebuild it with the 24mm mount as the larger ejection charge is likely to end badly with the restrictive baffle.

Tinker

Back