Rocksim quirk - motor tube size

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EXPjawa

Reaction score
I've noticed an odd quirk in Rocksim. I recently looked at upscaling a rocket I previously designed to a 4" tube size. Of course, the motor mount has to be scaled too. Originally, I was going to make it 38mm, but decided that was too limiting. So, I used a LOC 54mm mount tube for the motor mount in the sim. However, no matter how I tweak the diameters, I can't get the program to see it as anything larger than a 38mm mount, with the accompanying motor choices. So, what am I missing? I don't have Rocksim on the computer I'm using right now, so I can't show a screen shot or anything till I get home. Thoughts?

When I find a motor mount doesn't accept the right motor, I find I just up the ID by a hundredth and that seems to fix it. I just checked and when I use the LOC 54mm mount it accepts 54mm motors, as it should.

The only time I've had a Rocksim model stop working for no known reason was when I had a part with pods on pods and then made copies. I found I sometimes had to throw in the towel and re build them. So my advice is first check all your parts and then, if necessary, delete parts and add them back. Make sure they all have mass values. Just 'thinking' out loud.

I've seen the same thing - Apogee's own thin wall 29mm tube default size makes it think its 24mm until adjusted. So, I'm in the habit already of tweaking the tube dimensions to get it to work. But in this case, as I mentioned, no matter how much I added to the diameter (within reason), it still saw it as a 38mm. I've seen this quirk on a couple of different files now, so I think that probably rules out the notion that its something odd in this specific model. I previously ignored it since I don't have any 54mm hardware and wasn't really in need of 54mm mounts in the sims. But now, I'm starting to think that I'd like it too work properly.

Increase the INSIDE diameter, not the outside.

Yes, of course. As I said, I've done that before when I had issues, but it didn't help here. What I found the issue to be (last night) was that there were no 54mm motor files loaded. I'd assumed that there'd be some by default, like there were for smaller sizes, and if I chose a 54mm tube I'd be able to load one. However, after downloading and importing all the CTI 54mm files, it worked fine. So, there it is...

Back