WANT !! WANT !! WANT !! (New Estes Shuttle and Stack)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratchet01

Reaction score
https://www.estesrockets.com/coming-soon/007246-estes-shuttle
The shuttle is hot looking!
But as far as I'm concerned, the "tank and SRBs" can go in the parts bin.
I want to mod the shuttle itself to take a low power motor ! At 12 in long and a amost 9 in wingspan, it's big enough to fy by itself.

Now,how? cut off a section of the nose and mount a coupler into it and bore through the body to accept a BT-20 and motor mount?
DISCUSS!!

Last edited:
Hopefully it is easier to build. The last one was a bear.

The new one isn't meant to be realistic or scale. It's more in the vain of, say, the old NASA Pegasus as a sci-fi "future" shuttle. To me, this shuttle bears a strong resemblance to the old X-Prize Cosmos Mariner kit, minus the pop-pod. I wonder how this will be constructed...

hopefully,not injected foam with glue on vertical stabs. Which is why I mentioned boring it out. It would be killer if it is constructed like the Asteroid Hunter.

Can't find it right now, but this greatly resembles the NASA Next Gen Protodesign shuttle from the late 80's / early 90's. It was simply a concept design. I saw it in a 3D rendering.

One could also say it resembles the "Dream Chaser".

I loved my #1284 shuttle. I had some
great glides from it. Lost the booster to a CATO near the end of my pre-BAR days.

It would be killer if it is constructed like the Asteroid Hunter.

This is exactly how it's built. It has a BT-5 tube running up the entire length that the formers slide over.

John Boren

But as far as I'm concerned, the "tank and SRBs" can go in the parts bin

That's COLD. Even if you are going to do this you shouldn't announce it, you may hurt the feelings of the guy who designed it. You probably don't have the skills to build and fly the full stack any way! Maybe you should purchase TWO:wink: KITS, built one stock and do your powered shuttle version with the other.

John Boren

Attached is a image of the structure of the shuttle. The top and bottom is covered in thin card stock. I believe 1/32" balsa would be perfect to cover the top and bottoms, it would be just as light and look much better.

John Boren

shuttle assembly.jpg

Attached is a image of the structure of the shuttle. The top and bottom is covered in thin card stock. I believe 1/32" balsa would be perfect to cover the top and bottoms, it would be just as light and look much better.

John Boren

Tips from "The Chief Designer" !?! Thanks :)

Interesting! Lightly glassed balsa would make the glider indestructible. The whole design kind of makes me think of "Pan Am Space Clipper meets Semroc Hydra". Nice work John. Oh yeah, bonus points if you can convert the glider to R/C.

Very cool design
May have to get one of these

After seeing the construction method that this uses, I think it's more like you must get several of these... I know I want a few.

attachment.php

Strong are Jumpjet's jedi mind powers.

True, but come on... you know you like it two. :wink:

On the subject of Jedi mind powers... Even James Bond himself can't resist. In the scene of Star Wars 7 where Rey gets the Storm Trooper to release her (and leave the weapon), that Storm Trooper was none other than Daniel Craig in his cameo.

True, but come on... you know you like it two. :wink:

Of course! I like it two, too, to, and tu. :cool:

On the subject of Jedi mind powers... Even James Bond himself can't resist. In the scene of Star Wars 7 where Rey gets the Storm Trooper to release her (and leave the weapon), that Storm Trooper was none other than Daniel Craig in his cameo.

Can you really call it a cameo if he never takes the helmet off ?

This is exactly how it's built. It has a BT-5 tube running up the entire length that the formers slide over.

John Boren

Sir - you had me worried that this was mini-engined power with the BT-5 comment
The catalog shows using a D12-3 so I assume you meant a BT-50

Unless Estes will be creating mini-engine sized D motors??? :wink:

I think he was referring to the construction of the Orbiter section, not the booster.

Dick's correct I think, it appears that the glider uses a BT5 as a keel, for lack of a better term. The motor mount itself is in the main tank of the stack, and that appears to be 24mm.

Well, I soldered up the igniter pigtails, so the May MDRA launch may be kinda crazy. I wouldn't let my lack of launch opportunities deter you.

Interesting! Lightly glassed balsa would make the glider indestructible. The whole design kind of makes me think of "Pan Am Space Clipper meets Semroc Hydra". Nice work John. Oh yeah, bonus points if you can convert the glider to R/C.

Bonus points will be earned!

Already planning on converting this nice looking model to R/C using one of the Spectrum 64XX sub micro bricks. Only adds a few grams.

Jumpjet, do you have a completed build picture of the shuttle to share?

So cool! I want to buy several kits. Thanks John and Estes.

Back