WANT !! WANT !! WANT !! (New Estes Shuttle and Stack)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must say that I'm not amused by the "grain joint" decals for the SRBs. They are woefully inadequate in length. If I'd had any presence of mind, I would have put them on before mounting the Saddle to the External Tank. Fortunately, I have a rectangle of vinyl pin-striping. I have to cut it to the desired width and positioning them is a pain, but the result is worthwhile.

Overall, the decals are good. The material is nice and heavy for the size. You'll want to invest in some MicroSol if your finish isn't glossy. The entire sheet is one big decal, rather than individual decals on the sheet, so you get to decide how much extra material you apply. There's not much in the way of a decal positioning guide, just the front-slip and the online art on the Estes site. I really hate the 'show the flag with the star-field on the leading edge' mentality, so I'm glad that the flags are depicted with the star-field in the upper left.

SANY0028.jpgSANY0030.jpgSANY0033.jpgSANY0034.jpgSANY0035.jpgSANY0040.jpgSANY0042.jpg

I must say that I'm not amused by the "grain joint" decals for the SRBs....

The website art didn't show "grain joint" rings on the BT-20 SRBs, and I couldn't be bothered to those too, so they stayed stripeless.

Very nice, I think that's the first finished one I've seen. When's it gonna fly? John Boren was asking on YORF if anyone had flown theirs yet, no one has yet claimed first place...

Nice job PhlAsh! I wish I could get my hands on a few of these... It really looks like a fun build.

Don't forget to balance the shuttle where shown on the instructions. None of mine have needed any clay to balance but I only used two lights coats of primer and a single color coat.

John Boren

Don't forget to balance the shuttle where shown on the instructions. None of mine have needed any clay to balance but I only used two lights coats of primer and a single color coat.

John Boren
CG on mine also right where it needs to be, w/o nose weight.
Is there a preferred CG for the whole assembly?

What do you mean by "grain joint" decals?

I'll make a guess..............he is referring to the horizontal bands on the large SRBs..he said he had to improvise with tape....and I don't see any on the small SRBs.

BTW: Mine is in primer...drying now after a sanding some rough spots and touch up.

After three application of Aero Gloss sanding sealer on the balsa parts, I went with Tamiya flat white as a primer and the final coat on the SRBs...Tamiya flat dull red on the ET.
Need to do the black trim and decals next.

DSCN8656.jpgDSCN8659.jpg

Last edited:
Is there a preferred CG for the whole assembly?

Since I couldn't make a RockSim of this model I have never bothered to write down where my ready to fly CG was. Every flight has been stable with the seven models I have built. It will weather cock some if the winds are high so fly in low to moderate winds for your first flight.

John Boren

What do you mean by "grain joint" decals?

I think that Thiokol or ATK calls them field joints, where the shipped segments of the SRB are put together with the infamous O rings at the launch site, as opposed to the welded factory joints.

(I am sure the Estes model is using the improved RSRBs, right?)

Last edited:
...I really hate the 'show the flag with the star-field on the leading edge' mentality, so I'm glad that the flags are depicted with the star-field in the upper left...

Well, if you have seen a presidential motorcade, the flags on the car do tend to wave in that orientation when suspended on a pole on a vehicle in motion, maybe that is the rationale for having the static flag image painted pole forwards in some cases.

Well, if you have seen a presidential motorcade, the flags on the car do tend to wave in that orientation when suspended on a pole on a vehicle in motion, maybe that is the rationale for having the static flag image painted pole forwards in some cases.

That is exactly the reason behind it.

A flag flying has two sides. With the US flag flying on a flagpole, one side will have the stars on the left and the other side will have the stars on the right.

Ergo, it very much makes the most sense to have the flag depictions on a moving vehicle replicate exactly how a real flag would look if it were attached to the vehicle in the same place. Otherwise, it would look like the flag is flying backwards on one side instead of properly flying with the "wind".

Look at the Space Shuttle. Look at Air Force One. That is the correct way to depict a flag on a flying aircraft.

I will correct the flags in my Estes Shuttle so it will not drive me crazy....:)

Last edited:
I had to check, but Air Force One does have the blue field leading on the right hand side.

268080A100000578-2987856-image-a-40_1425997216885.jpg

That is exactly the reason behind it.

A flag flying has two sides. With the US flag flying on a flagpole, one side will have the stars on the left and the other side will have the stars on the right.

Ergo, it very much makes the most sense to have the flag depictions on a moving vehicle replicate exactly how a real flag would look if it were attached to the vehicle in the same place. Otherwise, it would look like the flag is flying backwards on one side instead of properly flying with the "wind".

Look at the Space Shuttle. Look at Air Force One. That is the correct way to depict a flag on a flying aircraft.

I will correct the flags in my Estes Shuttle so it will not drive me crazy....:)

I was going to say that this was a post Desert Shield / Desert Storm thing, but photos of Enterprise dating back to '77 depict the starfield on the right on the starboard side. It was never mentioned while I was in the Navy, so I'd assumed it to be a post '80s affectation...

From the US Flag etiquette web site:

https://www.usa-flag-site.org/forum/threads/proper-flag-etiquette-aircraft-tail.30/

This convention even extends to flag patches on the shoulders of uniform clothing.

This practice goes way back. See the attached picture of an old USN C-119.

I have always found it interesting how many people incorrectly think this practice is disrespectful of the US Flag.

I have lots of flag decals of various sizes, both orientations, and will be able to easily correct the ones on the cool new Estes Shuttle.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Getting back the the Estes Shuttle. I have made copies of the wood parts still in the balsa sheets and of the card stock top and bottom sheeting and have reproduced them at 2x and 3x original size....:)

May not upsize the booster, but will definitely upsize the shuttle soon.

Getting back the the Estes Shuttle. I have made copies of the wood parts still in the balsa sheets and of the card stock top and bottom sheeting and have reproduced them at 2x and 3x original size....:)

May not upsize the booster, but will definitely upsize the shuttle soon.
Was thinking the same ...made copies before building mine - but thinking about upsizing the whole thing.

As someone said, those SRBs on an upscale - beg for some effects motors.

Has John done a larger electric powered version of the glider??

Last edited:
Here's mine.
Highly recommend this kit, think it is one of Estes best...the laser cutting is excellent and parts fit exceptionally good.
Easy build.

Looking forward to flight reports from you guys............

ss1.jpg ss2.jpg ss3.jpg

How is the new ESTES shuttle kit as far as quality. I told myself I would never build another one of their kits, but I might make an exception on this one.

I love it. I don't think I've encountered any bad words for it. The consensus seems to be - Keep the paint on the glider to a minimum and make sure you sink the nose-hook completely

[video]https://www.facebook.com/100001585064921/videos/1527581450638009/[/video]
and here is vid of its first flight

Thank you :)

It's a sharper angle and its pointed more that the 80k but it's pretty close though

Try the vid again I changed the settings

Back