New guy, and an 8 year old son.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SethMatthews

Reaction score
Hey guys, My son and I are new to rocketry. We started with an Estes E2X kit that came with 2 rocket kits and a launch pad/ignitor. the smaller rocket went well but has an engine stuck in the engine tube. The larger one is stuck in a tree. lol anyway, my son really enjoyed the rockets, right up until the tree stole his rocket. looking forward to learning more. thanks for having me.

Welcome to the party. Sorry you had a run in with our ancient nemesis, the rocket eating tree. Some remedies are paint roller extension poles, slingshot or bow and arrow with fishing line tied to the projectile, chainsaw, and waiting for the right gust of wind. Is the stuck motor secured with a motor hook or some other retention method ? Can you get the motor to turn inside the motor tube ? A picture may help suggest a better fix.

Like samb said... Welcome!

One thing that can be used to remove stubborn motors (sometimes) is a carefully applied dowel from the front of the rocket. Take care you don't crush the body tube, damage the fins when you try that method (or any other). One thing that can be used to remove stubborn motors is a set of needle nose pliers. You carefully remove the nozzle, then use a twisting motion to cause the cardboard of the motor to collapse inwards.

Hope you get your other back soon (and intact).

Pointy Side Up!
Jim

if nothing else, I'll dremel the engine out from the inside out till it gives. as for the one in the tree, its way up there, but at least the home owner has my number if it comes out. hopefully it lands in the yard, and not the river. lol it really caught the wind and took off course. lol

For stuck motors I always try to rotate them first before pulling. Use a vise grip and gently clamp the exposed part of the motor and twist. Do NOT squeeze the motor hard as it will bulge somewhere and damage the motor mount. Just clamp the vise gripe or pliers on the end of the motor and try to turn it. Give up if it does not turn with gentle pressure as you'll probably damage the rocket.

Throw the rocket in a bag and put it in the freezer for a couple of hours. The thermal contraction might be enough to loosen the motor. This method works better with aluminum motor cases (high power), but I can't see it damaging a paper rocket so no harm in trying.

For stuck motors I always try to rotate them first before pulling. Use a vise grip and gently clamp the exposed part of the motor and twist. Do NOT squeeze the motor hard as it will bulge somewhere and damage the motor mount. Just clamp the vise gripe or pliers on the end of the motor and try to turn it. Give up if it does not turn with gentle pressure as you'll probably damage the rocket.

Throw the rocket in a bag and put it in the freezer for a couple of hours. The thermal contraction might be enough to loosen the motor. This method works better with aluminum motor cases (high power), but I can't see it damaging a paper rocket so no harm in trying.
Welcome to the wonderful world of rocketry. These are some good ideas to try. Remember pictures are almost required.

Hey guys, My son and I are new to rocketry. We started with an Estes E2X kit that came with 2 rocket kits and a launch pad/ignitor. the smaller rocket went well but has an engine stuck in the engine tube. The larger one is stuck in a tree. lol anyway, my son really enjoyed the rockets, right up until the tree stole his rocket. looking forward to learning more. thanks for having me.

Hi new guys :) Looks like your first lesson is the same as mine was...lost to a tree. Until you find a fairly treeless area try to find large open areas to fly. Take photo's and let us know how you two are doing :)

Welcome. Reach out to the clubs in the area. You've got some great rocket geeks very near. Hang on for a real thrill ride in the hobby. Hope to see you at a launch soon.

Back