What a drag..... (video)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DizWolf

Reaction score
Two launches- first is my Villain on a 54/1050 plain jane by Dan Patell. The second a Loki J820.

The second flight took an unscheduled ride.....

[YOUTUBE]mXfD646uURc[/YOUTUBE]

1/3 of a mile ride....

26613736165_5f1f8eabf7_c.jpg

26520842872_c415d8a868_b.jpg

26010546133_3dfa480037_c.jpg

Last edited:
David It was nice of you to help the farmer turn over his soil. I had a Dynacom Anaconda help out the Wheat farmers in KS years ago.

David It was nice of you to help the farmer turn over his soil. I had a Dynacom Anaconda help out the Wheat farmers in KS years ago.

Lol. I was typing the cords into my phone and Dan yells to me "Dave you're dragging" "eh it'll drag a little" "no man - a lot!" I looked up and it's WAAAAAY away from where it landed. Thankfully it got hung up on the irrigation line.

It started at the X and went to the circle

26550040091_c10c87a731_b.jpg

Great video and interesting to watch. I thought I saw it "drive by" a pumpkin or an acron squash. Your rocket held up very well to that abuse.. fiberglass or CF? There's a rare example of when you don't want to have a chute with a Cd of 2.2! I hope your Iris is ok.
I have a cardboard/balsa Estes Big Daddy repair project waiting for me, as it got sanded down pretty good dragging just 100yards on concrete. An inexpensive rocket, but the memories attached to it keep in on my repair list.

Last edited:
If you had plough on the end of that rocket you could of picked up a bit of extra cash from the farmer. My carbon fiber Tomach dragged about the same distance at last year's NYPOWER, but the field was really dry and it scratched the heck out of the airframe. Of course having an oversized chute didn't help in my case. The field looked a bit more moist for your adventure.

Great video and interesting to watch. I thought I saw it "drive by" a pumpkin or an acron squash. Your rocket held up very well to that abuse.. fiberglass or CF? There's a rare example of when you don't want to have a chute with a Cd of 2.2! I hope your Iris is ok.

That Iris has been through hell and back.... It's first flight it took a dive into the ditch and floated down the canal until GaryT pulled it out looking for his rocket. Couple burn marks...but still kicking strong.

The rocket was a MAC Villain. Canvas phenolic. no wear on the fins.

I think those "pumpkins" were onions I was turning up :)

If you had plough on the end of that rocket you could of picked up a bit of extra cash from the farmer. My carbon fiber Tomach dragged about the same distance at last year's NYPOWER, but the field was really dry and it scratched the heck out of the airframe. Of course having an oversized chute didn't help in my case. The field looked a bit more moist for your adventure.

Yea, you can see how black the dirt is on the overhead shots.... wet and freshly turned over.

Just need to devise a method to drop off seeds while it goes and you could probably make some extra money at that! :)

Back