A Blue Big Daddy (MPR)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCriscione

Reaction score
I've posted a photo of this rocket over in my L1/L2 thread, but if finally got paint over the last week and a half and I wanted to post 'finished' pics. I suppose I just want to show it off a bit, it turned out so nicely. The fillets in particular came out better than any I've attempted previously over the last year and a half.

This is an Estes Big Daddy, converted to a 29mm MM (kit from Sunward), and replacing the stock balsa with 1/8" plywood fins. The color scheme was partly inspired by neil_w's Solar Warrior; when I first saw that Rustoleum Metallic Cobalt Blue, I knew I needed it on a rocket. I did have a few issues with masking, as I taped it the night before the blue went on, and forgot to run my fingers over everything to be sure I was fully sealed. This was only a problem for the 1/4" tape that was a new type I haven't used previously. Not that bad or too noticeable in most places. Certainly not from 10' away on the pads. I haven't clear coated it yet, still trying to decide what to use. I've had mixed results with the Rustoleum crystal clear enamel, but that may have been due to dry time issues. I'll let this one sit for a could weeks before attempting anything, just to be safe.

This baby should fly pretty well on everything from E to G, and possibly even a slow H (although that would probably send it well over 2000'. No tracking or dual deploy here, so chances are good, I'd but running a G80 at most here. Total weight without motors is a bit over 400 grams. Fully built with epoxy. The glorious fillets are Rocketpoxy. Enjoy!

0423161458.jpg0423161522a.jpg0423162033a.jpg0423162030.jpg

And yes, that 29mm 3 grain case is just waiting for a reload to fly this.

Last edited:
Looks like a perfect candidate for the Jolly Logic Chute Release...
Makes me want to finish mine. I used the stock fins cut down to fit the 29mmt in, but then I papered the fins. We'll see.

Adrian

I'm thinking of using the rings and motor mount from my Nike smoke to build a big daddy. I used to have a stretched version many years ago that flew great on G's. One day I tried an H. Never to be found again.

Got one in mid build with a 38mm MMT. I'm making a nose cone bay in it. It's up to fillets now. I had to put it on hold pending the completion of my NSL projects. I don't think I'll have time to finish before NSL. Though it would be nice to have my maiden flight there.

Let us know how it flies.

Thank you all. It was a really fun build and gave me a 2nd rocket that would fly on my new 29mm CTI case.

Looks like a perfect candidate for the Jolly Logic Chute Release...

This would be an awesome use for the JLCR. I'd just need to own one. Right now I don't fly often / high enough to justify it, but possibly sometime in the future. The design is very nice, and would fit easily in the 3" body. Even though it's a short body tube, because of the modification to the nosecone attachment point, I get to 'keep' the 1-1/2" of space that is normally taken up by the shoulder, it leaves a fair amount of space in the body. Flying with a combination of nomex + a bit of dog barf should keep everything from getting toasty, and I think it would still leave room for the JLCR.

I used to have a stretched version many years ago that flew great on G's. One day I tried an H. Never to be found again.

Cripes, an H? Even with a chute release, I don't think I'd try that without a tracker.

Got one in mid build with a 38mm MMT. I'm making a nose cone bay in it.

Holy cow, I hope that nose cone fits a tracker. :) That would be a really fun launch. I'd suggest reenforcing the BT though, I don't know if that estes cardboard will behave well if you try sticking a J or something in there. Especially with all the nose weight you'll be adding. I wanna know how YOURS flies.

I did the same. Here it is on an F26FJ, and it flies great on G's too. I added 5 oz of nose weight to keep it stable with the larger motors.

I love the metallic blue. I definitely need to incorporate that into a build in the near future.

P3121683_ORF.jpg

Beautiful! The silver stripes make it look like a boattail. Deceiving and gorgeous.

I added another centering ring about an inch or so above the end of the MMT, the ID was sized for a paper towel tube, and added a piece of paper towel tube treated with epoxy. Makes a bit of a well to pack dog barf. I fly with stock plastic chute and no nomex. No burns or scorches on the chute so far. But mine is stock MMT, at not work on something like yours. Nomex is still a good idea.

Mike

Thanks. :) I actually never noticed that from the angle the photos are taken, it does give it the appearance of a boat tail somewhat. That view, edge on to a fin is a bit odd though; from the quarter view the stripes actually converge towards the top rather than diverging. A neat effect though when I look at it a second time. I wonder if I could use it to better effect in the future. Now you've got me thinking.

I've posted a photo of this rocket over in my L1/L2 thread, but if finally got paint over the last week and a half and I wanted to post 'finished' pics. I suppose I just want to show it off a bit, it turned out so nicely. The fillets in particular came out better than any I've attempted previously over the last year and a half.

This is an Estes Big Daddy, converted to a 29mm MM (kit from Sunward), and replacing the stock balsa with 1/8" plywood fins. The color scheme was partly inspired by neil_w's Solar Warrior; when I first saw that Rustoleum Metallic Cobalt Blue, I knew I needed it on a rocket.

View attachment 289065View attachment 289066View attachment 289068View attachment 289067

I read this thread last night while doing research for a Big Daddy kit I bought for my wife. I was in the hardware store today and remembered how nice your Cobalt Blue Metallic looked. They had it in stock so I grabbed two cans.

Back