Madcow "Level-2" Build, 4" Fiberglass Airframe w/54mm Motor

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like both, especially the green! Rustoleum has a nice 2X green, although it's a bit light for lime green. I don't think green would hurt visibility much. At TCC it can't hurt to add a small audible beeper to the rocket to find it if/when the rocket lands in alfalfa, especially if you aren't running a tracker yet.

As for charges, I'd probably keep the main the same and maybe increase the drogue a bit (0.1 or 0.2 grams, and then +0.5 more on the backup). I usually run two 20' harnesses on rockets of this size, with the main chute a few feet back from the nose cone on the front harness and the drogue chute a few feet back from the payload connection to limit tangling. Your recovery configuration seems good, but definitely consider Onebadhawk down the road.

Looking forward to the launch!

Thanks Benno. I'm looking forward to launching this one too. Given the time constraint, and lots of stress at work... it's no fun to be under the gun to finish before Diary Aire.
As for the paint.. I started already.. 2 coats of primer down.. it's Duplicolor. I was torn between Rusto 2X and duplicolor. I happened to be in Oriely Auto Parts today.. and picked up the Duplicolor. The bad thing is, is the recoat window for this paint. Recoat within 1 hour, or wait 7 DAYS to recoat. Well.. I'm putting down Gloss white today.. and in FOUR days, three day early, I may put down the 2nd color on Thursday. Else I'll have a glossy all white rocket, which might be best for now. I'm planning to go with orange for the second color. I worry about landing at Snow Ranch in the spring green grass with a green rocket, or even TCC Helm was green last month. So, some pattern of orange will go on Thursday. Perhaps I'll talk my daughter into helping me with a pattern. Orange cow patches sound interesting, given that most of the places this bird will fly will be associated with Cows. Else, the staggered grid.
Ya, I agree with what you're saying regarding my charges and harness. If I can get one fast enough from Teddy, I'll order it. I think I'll try to call him tonight or tomorrow morning before jumping into traffic. The harnesses he sells, are 3 loop and 2 loop and both are the same length stock. I'm a bit worried that the nosecone harness should be shorter to prevent it from shooting into the booster in the rare event it's pointed that way. If I can't get them in time, I think I'll hit Mike (BAR) up for a 20' section of 7/16" tubular nylon and use that to replace the drogue cord, and then shift the old 15' drogue cord to the nose. I think 20' and 15' should be ok.
Ok, go to go sand primer!

Last edited:
I used Duplicolor's filler/primer to hit the fillets, tube fasteners and nose cone where I knew there would be small surface imperfections.
I did t a good job filling, and I wet sanded it with 220 and 320 grit which was probably a bit on the aggressive side.
IMG_1101.jpgIMG_1120.jpgIMG_1118.jpgIMG_1115.jpgIMG_1107.jpgIMG_1104.jpg

I wet sanded the rocket after applying the first whole can for a thick coat of Duplicolor sandable primer, supposedly white. However it was terrible at covering with white.. and after the whole can, the rocket looked dirty, not white.
IMG_1147.jpgIMG_1153.jpg

I wet sanded it with 320 grit, and it sanded very quickly down to a smooth tube, filling the little scratches in the Fiberglasses surface as seen in the photos below. At this point, I ran back to the auto parts place and grabbed a second can of primer. Since I needed a second coat to get a nice white base down.
IMG_1157.jpgIMG_1156.jpg

Second coat of primer, this time I used 600 grit to wet sand.
IMG_1158.jpgIMG_1164.jpgIMG_1172.jpg

Finally, after wet sanding every square inch with 600 grit, I applied the top coat. Gloss white.
Generally, it went on easy, but when the first can ran low the spray was poor and promoted "dusting" rather than layering smooth paint. I switched to the second can and the application was much better. I have one or two runs that I'll wet sand with 2000 grit. As I'd mentioned earlier, this darn Duplicolor paint needs to have a second coat applied within 1 hour, or after 7 DAYS. I plan to wet sand the entire finish with 2000 grit before applying the second color, then I plan to apply clear gloss coat over the whole rocket.
So, it looks like I'll have a big white rocket to launch Saturday.

IMG_1175.jpgIMG_1180.jpgIMG_1184.jpgIMG_1185.jpgIMG_1186.jpgIMG_1188.jpg

This morning I ordered a OneBadHawk 7/16" Tubular Kevlar Harness W/ 3 Sewn Loops to replace the stock 15' tubular nylon shock cord in the booster/drogue section. Here's some pictures of the this harness I hope to have by Friday:

OneBadHawkKevlar 7 16th 3 loop.jpgOneBadHawkKevlar 7 16th 3 loop2.jpg

I plan to move the stock 15' tubular nylon section to the nosecone/main chute section, replacing the stock 10' section that is too small. I may follow this up with another harness after I get a feel for how this recovery layout performs.

The Duplicolor paint feels nice and hard to the touch. It will chip if I hit the rocket with someone hard, but the primer seems to be bonding it to the fiberglass nicely.
This morning I sanded out the one paint run I had on one fin.. it was very easy.. a little water and 2000 grit wet/dry paper. After sanding, it was smooth, but a dull finish.. I simply buffed it with a beach towel for about 1 minute.. and now it looks perfect and glossy. I wanted to make sure the paint run didn't add camber to a single fin and induce some axial roll. I'm hoping for minimal spin on the way up.. but I know it's a rare roll of the dice to get it perfect. (My Mega Der Red Max has balsa/ply fins with a layer of light fiberglass. It rotates about 1/2 turn per 1000 feet. Close!)

Also, I ordered both Mobius and 808 Camera shrouds, but I will not have them in time for this weekend's maiden flights.

I'm looking at a small J for a Level2 Cert, the RMS 38/720 J350W-14. I spoke with Mike at BAR this evening to discuss the various different available J350W motor configurations with the EZ delay assembly vs. the standard forward closure. I'll be using the standard forward closure. I plan to increase the stock ejection charge to about 2.2 g, as it is my 3rd apogee charge and the last chance to put the drogue out. I hope the 0.5g of extra powder fits in the standard forward closure.. it looks like it should.

This evening, I'm going to test fire a 1.4g main, and 1.9g drogue charge using my StratologgerCF and a vacuum cleaner to simulate a flight profile.

The OneBadHawkHarness shipped, and shows a delivery date of this Friday from USPS. Cutting it close.

Last edited:
This morning I ordered a OneBadHawk 7/16" Tubular Kevlar Harness W/ 3 Sewn Loops to replace the stock 15' tubular nylon shock cord in the booster/drogue section. Here's some pictures of the this harness I hope to have by Friday:

View attachment 291246View attachment 291247

I plan to move the stock 15' tubular nylon section to the nosecone/main chute section, replacing the stock 10' section that is too small. I may follow this up with another harness after I get a feel for how this recovery layout performs.

Now THAT is a harness. One thing rest assured. THAT part of your build will NOT fail. :)

Ok Strap Electrical tape around the rocket to the 808. May not Look pretty; but after the flight, you WON'T see that, nor will you see your flight unless you do!! :)

I loaded a cap with 1.4g 4F BP.. and used the StratologgerCF with a cheap Amazon Ematch, 1S 4.1V LiPo connected. Vacuum cleaner to simulate a flight.. applied suction, removed waited a few second (likely Mach Delay) and it fired.. but it did not shear the 4 pins and eject the main... just some smoke shot out the seams! I manually torqued off the nose cone shearing the pins and got my new chute out of harms way. It acutally got light brown spot on it through the nomex.. but is still fully functional. I'm about to repeat this same setup.. I can only think it was related to how I packed the BP in the cap with wadding on top.. else my scale is bad. More later.

I HIGHLY recommend that you use an old t-shirt piece with the same bulk as your 'chute for ground testing. Avoids those sizzling, embarrassing issues you just experienced.

I loaded a cap with 1.4g 4F BP.. and used the StratologgerCF with a cheap Amazon Ematch, 1S 4.1V LiPo connected. Vacuum cleaner to simulate a flight.. applied suction, removed waited a few second (likely Mach Delay) and it fired.. but it did not shear the 4 pins and eject the main... just some smoke shot out the seams! I manually torqued off the nose cone shearing the pins and got my new chute out of harms way. It acutally got light brown spot on it through the nomex.. but is still fully functional. I'm about to repeat this same setup.. I can only think it was related to how I packed the BP in the cap with wadding on top.. else my scale is bad. More later.

There's nothing wrong with what you did, but it's more work than a lazy guy like me likes to do. I just wire my launch controller to an ematch in the ejection charge and set it off. Your way is an end to end test, which should definitely be done from time to time.
I don't think that you should have seen a delay. I thought the Stratologger used something more intelligent than a Mach delay. That sounds more like your main charge output blew when I thought it got to your programmed main altitude.
There's nothing wrong with putting wadding on top of the BP, but it sounds like you need more BP. Without going back to read the entire thread, what's your BT diameter? With a piston, I use a full gram for a four inch body tube that's 18 inches long. That's without shear pins. The whole purpose of ground testing is to determine whether the charge size is sufficient and that the system works. Your doing all. The right things, you just need to keep redoing the test until you get the results you seek. Add half a gram each time. If something blows up you had other problems! [emoji1303]

Last edited:

Kevin. Just looked up my notes from my L2 with this rocket:
1.7 Rear
1.3~1.4 Fwd (4 came out hard)

That being said, I use 2 shear pins in the rear and 3 in the nosecone.

Also big +1 for Banzai88 statement on using an old tshirt. you'll get the same ground test ejection..however won't take a chance at burning your chute. I also bought the same e-matches you have. However after talking at length with a few folks at the club launch, I've decided to keep those for ground testing and use J-Tek's in the real deal. Maybe I drank the coolaide...but sure didn't want to take that chance.

Last edited:
I HIGHLY recommend that you use an old t-shirt piece with the same bulk as your 'chute for ground testing. Avoids those sizzling, embarrassing issues you just experienced.

There's nothing wrong with what you did, but it's more work than a lazy guy like me likes to do. I just wire my launch controller to an ematch in the ejection charge and set it off. Your way is an end to end test, which should definitely be done from time to time.
I don't think that you should have seen a delay. I thought the Stratologger used something more intelligent than a Mach delay. That sounds more like your main charge output blew when I thought it got to your programmed main altitude.
There's nothing wrong with putting wadding on top of the BP, but it sounds like you need more BP. Without going back to read the entire thread, what's your BT diameter? With a piston, I use a full gram for a four inch body tube that's 18 inches long. That's without shear pins. The whole purpose of ground testing is to determine whether the charge size is sufficient and that the system works. Your doing all. The right things, you just need to keep redoing the test until you get the results you seek. Add half a gram each time. If something blows up you had other problems! [emoji1303]

Kevin. Just looked up my notes from my L2 with this rocket:
1.7 Rear
1.3~1.4 Fwd (4 came out hard)

That being said, I use 2 shear pins in the rear and 3 in the nosecone.

Also big +1 for Banzai88 statement on using an old tshirt. you'll get the same ground test ejection..however won't take a chance at burning your chute. I also bought the same e-matches you have. However after talking at length with a few folks at the club launch, I've decided to keep those for ground testing and use J-Tek's in the real deal. Maybe I drank the coolaide...but sure didn't want to take that chance.

Thanks for all the prompt feedback guys. Here's the details for my main chute:
4" Diam FG Tube, 14 inches between bulkplates. I calculated 15psi with 1.4g 4F BP. It worked last week with the eggtimer with GUSTO. Tonight, I had the fizzeled charge, and I just finished a second test with the same 1.4g BP, but with more careful taping and 2 pc. of wadding in the ejection charge cap to allow it to build a little pressure before the tape lets go. It came out.. but not too forceful. I had taped a few Z bends with perhaps 2 feet harness in each. One zbend unraveled, but the other didn't.. shows how weak the ejection was. So, I'm upping it to 1.7g now.. and soon to try that.
I found that the nomex cloth (Sunward) seemd more porous than the Madcow chute protector.. and thus allowed some hot gasses to penetrate the weave of the nomex. I'm putting BOTH a 12" Madcow Chute protector at the base and the 18" Sunward Nomex around the chute. Below that, I've put 3 and 4 handfuls of DogBarf. Kevin, how much Dog Barf did you put in your Main and Drogue sections.
Ok, I'm going to go look for an old shirt. I need to get this sorted out... only two short nights left to figure this out before launch day.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the prompt feedback guys. Here's the details for my main chute:
4" Diam FG Tube, 14 inches between bulkplates. I calculated 15psi with 1.4g 4F BP. It worked last week with the eggtimer with GUSTO. Tonight, I had the fizzeled charge, and I just finished a second test with the same 1.4g BP, but with more careful taping and 2 pc. of wadding in the ejection charge cap to allow it to build a little pressure before the tape lets go. It came out.. but not too forceful. I had taped a few Z bends with perhaps 2 feet harness in each. One zbend unraveled, but the other didn't.. shows how weak the ejection was. So, I'm upping it to 1.7g now.. and soon to try that.
I found that the nomex cloth (Sunward) seemd more porous than the Madcow chute protector.. and thus allowed some hot gasses to penetrate the weave of the nomex. I'm putting BOTH at 12" Madcow Chute protector at the base and the 18" Sunward Nomex around the chute. Below that, I've put 3 and 4 handfuls of DogBarf. Kevin, how much Dog Barf did you put in your Main and Drogue sections.
Ok, I'm going to go look for an old shirt. I need to get this sorted out... only two short nights left to figure this out before launch day.

For what it's worth; not all my z-folds went out during ground test; but absolutely did during the Flight. As long as I got separation on the ground of 3 foot; I was totally pleased as I firmly believe in the air, the chute etc will be pulled out.
For Dogbarf, just a handful in each. No more than that.

Thanks Kevin. Hmm.. I put in 4 large handfuls on the first test tonight that failed.. the last one that came out weak was with 3 handfuls. Ok, about to irritate my neighbors little ankle biter.. 1.7g BP in a few min..

So, 1.7 shot the nosecone out nicely.. but for some reason, the laundry was lightly stuck in the very end of the tube.. probably about 6-12" more shock cord could have been extended.. but for some reason the laundry seemed to hang up there and not come out..perhaps the shear pins were sticking out and snagged the cloth right at the from edge of the payload.. hmm.. seems like a reasonable explainnation. I have video... I may post if I can find time.

I tested a second 1.7g 4F Charge in the nose section connected to the Stratologger. It worked fine. I used the actual chute that time, and it deployed nicely. No scorches.

Last edited:
So, 1.7 shot the nosecone out nicely.. but for some reason, the laundry was lightly stuck in the very end of the tube.. probably about 6-12" more shock cord could have been extended.. but for some reason the laundry seemed to hang up there and not come out..perhaps the shear pins were sticking out and snagged the cloth right at the from edge of the payload.. hmm.. seems like a reasonable explainnation. I have video... I may post if I can find time.

I tested a second 1.7g 4F Charge in the nose section connected to the Stratologger. It worked fine. I used the actual chute that time, and it deployed nicely. No scorches.

Kevin - Find your happy spot. Pack it up nicely. Put it away. You launch in two days!! :) You have this down. You've got separation. One handful/10 handfuls, whatever you are comfortable with. 1.7 worked? There you go. Write that down on the plate next to the charge well and you'll not have to guess again. Trust me...this weekend we are all going to be hearing how awesome this flight went!! :)

Thanks Kevin. You know exactly where I'm at. I will write next to the well. I plan to do more testing of the drogue side tonight. It's somewhat concerning to have such a strong ejection with 1.4g a few days ago, and then have the same charge fail yesterday. I'll probably bump up my drogue charge to 2.0g or so, but will start with 1.7 to get a comparison. Off to work...

Thanks Kevin. You know exactly where I'm at. I will write next to the well. I plan to do more testing of the drogue side tonight. It's somewhat concerning to have such a strong ejection with 1.4g a few days ago, and then have the same charge fail yesterday. I'll probably bump up my drogue charge to 2.0g or so, but will start with 1.7 to get a comparison. Off to work...

I think you'll do well with 1.7. Be careful you don't "over do it". Don't want to break your connections due to an excessive BP charge. Something to consider. I started with three shear pins in the aft. then as you saw on my thread, I did not get the separation I wanted. So I upped to 1.7 from 1.4 and removed one shear pin. Perfect. To make it look good, I used an expended shear pin and screwed it into one hole. Since it was already sheared, it only made it look good; but had no functional purpose. You just don't want it to separate in flight until needed. 2 pins is plenty for that...IMO.

1. If I'm using nomex I don't use dogbarf. If I'm using dogbarf, it's because I don't have nomex with me.
2. The taped z-folds are to protect against the shock of a fast opening chute, not an oversized ejection charge. Test your ejection charge without the z-folds. It's like Goldilocks. Does your ejection charge just separate the rocket without extending the shock cords? That's too weak. Does your charge eject so forcefully that the parts reach the end of the shock cord and then bounce back to strike the rocket? That's too strong. If your shock cord mostly extends or even bounces lightly at the end, that's just right.
I don't see how shear pins could protrude into the body tube to snag the chute; they should shear right at the interface to the the coupler or NC. The long half stays in the nosecone or coupler. My nosecones all rattle! Was your charge under your parachute? If so, then you might want to find a different way to fold your chute so it's not wedged in place. It's always disappointing to see a chute snow-cone in a tube and not deploy.

[emoji1010] Steve Shannon [emoji1010]

Thanks Kevin. I'm feeling more confident after reviewing the 1.7g Main Ejection results with less Dog Barf.

I sure would like to know why last night's first 1.4g charge failed to shear the pins. I reviewed the video and it flashed inside, so the ignition was good and fast unlike what I had been speculating. (I can still see the charge flash through my new white primer and paint! =] )

1. If I'm using nomex I don't use dogbarf. If I'm using dogbarf, it's because I don't have nomex with me.
2. The taped z-folds are to protect against the shock of a fast opening chute, not an oversized ejection charge. Test your ejection charge without the z-folds. It's like Goldilocks. Does your ejection charge just separate the rocket without extending the shock cords? That's too weak. Does your charge eject so forcefully that the parts reach the end of the shock cord and then bounce back to strike the rocket? That's too strong. If your shock cord mostly extends or even bounces lightly at the end, that's just right.
I don't see how shear pins could protrude into the body tube to snag the chute; they should shear right at the interface to the the coupler or NC. The long half stays in the nosecone or coupler. My nosecones all rattle! Was your charge under your parachute? If so, then you might want to find a different way to fold your chute so it's not wedged in place. It's always disappointing to see a chute snow-cone in a tube and not deploy.
[emoji1010] Steve Shannon [emoji1010]

Thanks for considering this issue and for your feedback. I'm not sure I'm confident without using dog barf, at least 2 handfuls at the moment. The 18x18 nomex in my 4" FG tube, barely covers the full length of the packed chute. Also, the darn nomex is too porous, and through the nomex I have some scorch discoloration on my new main chute. Howeve,r the Madcow chute protectors are denser weave of a fire resistance cloth that prevents the "through weave scortching". Perhaps I could try one handful dogbarf below the 18/18 nomex AND 12x12 chute protector wrapped completely around the chute. Having too much dog barf in my 4" fiberglass tube is one of my suspect reasons for having the 1.4g BP charge fail to shear Four 2-56 nylon screws.

I've had some trouble with different results for the same 1.4g 4F Black Powder charge. Last week it ejected my chute pretty aggressively, however last night a 1.4g charge completely failed to pop the nosecone off. So I'm in this "grey" problem area. I'm not sure what I'll get for the same 1.4g charge. So, I've bumped to 1.7g of 4F BP. This works pretty good.. but I was worried it might be too aggressive on "lucky" ejections.. and thus I thought a z-fold would damp out the shock when the nosecone reached line extension. It makes good sense to have those in for the main chute deployment shock as you describe.

I agree that it doesn't make sense that the shear pin remnants grabbed the laundry.. but something appears to have grabbed it as it was ejecting.. an only the nosecone shot to extend the line. There is a very small lip where the pins sheared. I'm not sure it could grab cloth or not. So, I decided I needed to re-test with the actal chute attached just below the nosecone and verify that the chute will come out with sufficient force. It does at 1.7 per my tests.

Tonight, I plan to test the drogue charge. I hope it goes smoothly.
Thanks again.

Perfect timing OneBadHawk! USPS reports my new Kevlar 3 loop harness is in my mailbox! Testing tonight will be that much better.

Thanks for considering this issue and for your feedback. I'm not sure I'm confident without using dog barf, at least 2 handfuls at the moment. The 18x18 nomex in my 4" FG tube, barely covers the full length of the packed chute. Also, the darn nomex is too porous, and through the nomex I have some scorch discoloration on my new main chute. Howeve,r the Madcow chute protectors are denser weave of a fire resistance cloth that prevents the "through weave scortching". Perhaps I could try one handful dogbarf below the 18/18 nomex AND 12x12 chute protector wrapped completely around the chute. Having too much dog barf in my 4" fiberglass tube is one of my suspect reasons for having the 1.4g BP charge fail to shear Four 2-56 nylon screws.

I've had some trouble with different results for the same 1.4g 4F Black Powder charge. Last week it ejected my chute pretty aggressively, however last night a 1.4g charge completely failed to pop the nosecone off. So I'm in this "grey" problem area. I'm not sure what I'll get for the same 1.4g charge. So, I've bumped to 1.7g of 4F BP. This works pretty good.. but I was worried it might be too aggressive on "lucky" ejections.. and thus I thought a z-fold would damp out the shock when the nosecone reached line extension. It makes good sense to have those in for the main chute deployment shock as you describe.

I agree that it doesn't make sense that the shear pin remnants grabbed the laundry.. but something appears to have grabbed it as it was ejecting.. an only the nosecone shot to extend the line. There is a very small lip where the pins sheared. I'm not sure it could grab cloth or not. So, I decided I needed to re-test with the actal chute attached just below the nosecone and verify that the chute will come out with sufficient force. It does at 1.7 per my tests.

Tonight, I plan to test the drogue charge. I hope it goes smoothly.
Thanks again.

I would not worry about stains as long as you're not getting holes burned in your chute. A tighter weave is nicer though. Mine are mostly from Wildman or Top Flight, but I do have a bunch of yellow and dark green ones from used forest service shirts and pants that were given to me, which I gave out to TARC teams.

It sounds like your one charge just didn't burn completely. Did you find any unburned powder in your rocket afterwards?
An excessive charge is way better than too little.
1.7 sounds pretty good to me. I just helped a college student with a 5.5 inch rocket and his sweet spot was 3.5 g.

I tested the drogue charge tonight using both altimeters and the same carefully measured 1.7g 4F BP charge. I reduced the amount of dog barf I've been using and it seems to have made the BP charges more potent. I'm not sure why that might be. However, the three 1.7g drogue charges I tested tonight came out with plenty of umph. The other things that were different from last nights testing of the main ejection charge were the charge wells are longer/narrower cups from doghouse rocketry, and I packed the charges a little tighter, and applied 2 layers of blue masking tape over them. I tested back to back 1.7g charges with the StratologgerCF using a vacuum cleaner to simulate a flight. Both fired with plenty of power to get the drogue and my new 3 loop Kevlar harness out to about 20 ft extension before sliding to a stop on the carpet I layed down on my lawn. I tested one more 1.7g charge with my Eggfinder Quantum and it was powerful... loud and shot the payload out to near full harness extension, while the drogue chute actually deployed and opened up at the end of the payload tube's slide... almost like a dragster chute. I'll have to post a video.. it's a bit fun to watch. So, I plan to use no less than 1.7g of BP in the drogue charges. For flight, I'll load the main altimeter (I'll probably just use the StratologgerCF as the main) with 1.7g, then my Eggfinder Quantum Backup altimeter with 1.9g, and finally I'll pack the motor ejection charge with 2.1g. The laundry should come out with the first charge.. but just in case it doesn't, the redundant successive charges will increase the ejection pressures. Per the calculator I've been using, that will be 16 psi, 18psi and 20 psi respectively.
Ok, time to get the mess cleaned up and brainstorm last minute prep. items for Saturday's flight.

Last edited:
Kevin - today is the long anticipated day!! Pulling for you all the way over here on the east coast! Can't wait to hear about your success and see pictures later this evening. You definitely have this! Go Level-2!! ��

Kevin

Back