Let's see your Jawstand - Rail adapters

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally got enough of the pieces to build my Jawstand Launch Pad. The Current configuration is a 6' x 20mm Mini Button Rail with a 5' x15mm Makerbeam Micro button rail. Eventually I will add a 6' 1010 Rail to the pad. Blast Deflector is a $1.99 Dewalt metal cutting blade that with a little grinding on the arbor hole now fits perfectly around the 20mm rail. The 2x4 is temporary until I get the 1010 rail and the parts I want to mount it, then the 20mm rail will be fitted with 1010 rail buttons and changing the rail will be as easy as slipping the 20mm on to the 1010 just like the 15mm is currently mounted to the 20mm rail, there are stop screws top and bottom to keep the 15mm rail from sliding out of the 20mm rail if a rocket were to hang up for some reason. The way the rails are set up now I can fly Micro buttons off one side and Mini buttons off the other. I will be bringing this pad with me for use at our future launches.

Parts purchased from:

Rail-buttons.com for all my rail buttons needs Randy has great service.

80/20 Inc 20mm t-slot 1825mm long via Amazon ( $28.00 of which half was shipping)

Makerbeam B.V. (via Amazon) 15mm rail x 1500mm length ($25.00 for two iirc)

Richland Griggs Ace Hardware and the pieces/parts Hillman Fasteners section (who knows how much I spend there, they have screws from smaller than #2 and larger, dig around long enough and I can do anything in rocketry there...almost).

Lowes for the Aluminum 1"x1"x36" angle and the blast deflector/blade ( $12.00).

JawstandPad1.jpgJawstandPad3.jpgJawstandPad4.jpg

A very simple adapter... the plate is doubled 3/4" ply, with a 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" added to stand rail further away from plate. blast deflector is steel sheet mounted on arms bent 45°. The 8' 1010 rail is overkill, would have been fine (and easier to transport) with a 6 footer.

IMG_1390.jpg

SMR you method looks nice and simple but you lose a lot of rail. If you use the 2x4 attachment method shown above you can practically use the entire rail.

I've found this to be important when trying to minimize altitude but get the rocket off rail with enough speed to be stable.

I use Thrust Curve which allows you to change the rail/rod length so that you can optimize your motor selection, be it minimizing or maximizing altitude.

SMR you method looks nice and simple but you lose a lot of rail. If you use the 2x4 attachment method shown above you can practically use the entire rail.

I've found this to be important when trying to minimize altitude but get the rocket off rail with enough speed to be stable.

I use Thrust Curve which allows you to change the rail/rod length so that you can optimize your motor selection, be it minimizing or maximizing altitude.

Nah, its just not a very good picture. Here I blew it up and tried to enhance the settings to bring out detail. Not much better. I do use the whole rail. Note the rail stop, which is at the very bottom of the rail. The rail itself is on a standoff, the width of the rail, which moves it away from the attachment to the tripod, allowing the fins to clear and the rocket to slide all the way past the attachment structure. (Very similar to the 2" x 4" method.)

Screen Shot 2017-07-25 at 10.11.06 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-25 at 10.14.48 AM.png

Your launch pad looks nicely built, but it has a very narrow footprint. Be careful that side thrust as a result of the angled blast plate doesn't cause it to tip.

Yes, I agree. It is my lightweight pad, with self imposed limit on weight and impulse. I have other pads for heavier rockets.

The Rockwell Jawstand (core topic of this thread) has another feature not often mentioned... holes in each foot allow it to be staked out.

I just stumbled upon this thread and I have to say the Jawstand is a great idea for use as a launch platform. I like it so much that I dug around the Net and found a really decent price for one. $54.99 w/Free Shipping (FedEx SmartPost). Placed my order just before posting this. Looks like it will arrive on the 28th.

If anyone is interested, you can find it on eBay (Here). Btw, the seller is RockwellTools who I believe is The Rockwell Tools, as in the people that make the Jawstand.

Peace,
Tobor.

Great find. There's even one for $50 in the "also viewed" list. I love mine.

Great find. There's even one for $50 in the "also viewed" list. I love mine.

Yeah, the $50 one is the model 9033 which does not have the hand crank for height adjustment. But since I have (or will have) to justify this purchase, I bought the other model as it will double as a tool/helper/third hand when doing home remodeling/repair work on the side.

My JawStand arrived today. Much quicker then eBay estimated (Nice change of pace). So here it is....

JawStand_Small.jpg

Edit: One thing to note about seller. Although the package arrived in one piece, it was shipped using only retail box. No shipping carton was used, not even wrapped in heavy paper. Just be aware of this if you buy from RockwellTools

Looks good. Update us when you decide on your rail configuration.

Looks good. Update us when you decide on your rail configuration.

Well, I already have my rail. It's the 1" x 97" 80/20 rail I purchased from Steiner Electric for under $25 w/Tax. Steiner has several local brick-n-mortar locations in my area so I didn't have to shell out coin for shipping. :cheers:

As to mounting the rail, my plan for now is to use a short length of 2x6 and use 3x 6.5"~8" carriage bolts through the 2x6 to attach the rail. As I wish to use the full length of the rail, My blast deflector will be mounted to the 2x6 and the rail stop anchored near the very bottom of the rail. I'll post my AutoCad drawing as soon as I finish it.

Looking forward to it.

I'll take better pictures of mine but right now it has worked with everything I've used it for up to G and H motor 3 inch models. I just used two 7/16" hex head bolts slid into a rail channel and mounted through pre-existing holes on one side of the clamp where one of the plastic bumpers was. Works well and is height adjustable by loosening the bolts and sliding the rail up or down.

Blast deflector is a cake scoop thing from amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Wilton-2103-307-Cake-Lifter-8-inch/dp/B001BOELLI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1503632535&sr=8-4&keywords=cake+lifter

Here's one:

20170609_183512.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking forward to it.

I'll take better pictures of mine but right now it has worked with everything I've used it for up to G and H motor 3 inch models. I just used two 7/16" hex head bolts slid into a rail channel and mounted through pre-existing holes on one side of the clamp where one of the plastic bumpers was. Works well and is height adjustable by loosening the bolts and sliding the rail up or down.

https://www.amazon.com/Wilton-2103-307-Cake-Lifter-8-inch/dp/B001BOELLI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1503632535&sr=8-4&keywords=cake+lifter

Here's one:

View attachment 326643

Yeah, nice and simple. I like it! GJ. :headbang:

And thx for the link. I'll give it a look-see.

Yeah, nice and simple. I like it! GJ. :headbang:

And thx for the link. I'll give it a look-see.

That cake scoop blast deflector works like a champ. I've used mine with up to an I224 with no problems.

IMG_9464-crop-1920x1080.jpg

Here is a quick and dirty rendering of my rail mount fixture.

Rail_Mount_Render_Small.jpg

And here is the hardware to make it happen.

Rail Mount Hardware_Small.jpg

Edit: Here is the Rail Mount in 2D for better clarity.

Rail_Mount_Render2_Small.jpg

Update:

Mostly finished. Still need deflector, stain and sealer.

JawStand+Rail_mount-AV-Small.jpg JawStand+Rail_mount-FV-Small.jpg JawStand+Rail_mount-PV-Small.jpg Rail_Mount+Rail-PV-Small.jpg

Works like a charm.
I will post dimensions and parts list tomorrow.

Edit:

Rail_Mount_Dimensions.png

Parts List

*(1x) 2 in. x 6 in. Kiln-Dried Heat Treated Lumber
*(2x) 6-in x 1/4-20 Zinc-Plated Carriage Bolt
*(2x) 1/4-in x 1-in Zinc-Plated Fender Washer
*(2x) Hillman 1/4-20 Threaded Knob
*(1x) 1/4-in-20 x -1/2-in Stainless Steel Hex Bolt [Rail bumper]
*(1x) 1/4-in Stainless Steel Coupling Nut [Rail Bumper]
*(1x) 1.5-in Metallic Corner Brace [Deflector Mount]**
*(3x) #10-32 Stainless Steel Nylon Insert Lock Nuts [Deflector Mount]**
*(3x) 10-32 1/2" Machine Screw [Deflector Mount]**
*(2x) #8 x 3-in Phillips-Drive Drywall Screws [Wood Hook]**
*(1x) Deflector, a.k.a. Cake Lift [Yet to order] "Thx Corzero for that one"

That looks great! You will really like it. The thing is a tank.

I made mine for group launches with aluminum 2x4. Used the regular rail bolts, inserted about half an inch in, just deep enough to still get an Allen wrench on it. With all aluminum construction, rod and stand can be carried in one trip, super lightweight.IMG_0411.jpg

Looking forward to it.

Here's one:

View attachment 326643
Corzero, Was curious how did you get the rubbery handle off the Cake lifter......
Mine from Amazon just got here...

Glasspack

I've been using a Triton Multi-Stand for a few years now. It's solid and can launch most mid power rockets without additional security for the feet when using a 2m 1010 rail. I always use heavy duty tent pegs when launching any high power rockets when using a 3m rail. It only cost about AU$80.

It can also support a spreader bar for a selection of rods for the smaller rockets.

IMG_20181017_174737.jpg IMG_20181017_174458.jpg IMG_20181017_174717.jpg PA070894.JPG

I used some aluminum angle to make a parallelogram attachment. It will give me some extra tilt and allow loading the rocket from the bottom of the rail.
IMG_20181021_182227453.jpg

Great looking stands everyone! I picked up a Rockwell model 9033 today at Lowes. 9033 is the only model they had, and they had it listed at 86.97$ or something like that. So I looked at home depot and they have the 9033 for 54.54$ (regular price at Home Depot) but none in stock so Lowes matched Home Depots price for me. Was kind of shocked that Lowes had theirs listed 30 dollars higher but no biggie as they matched the price for me. I like the green amd black color scheme of the more expensive one (xp or 9044?) but I dont think the hand crank will be that usefull to me and I was able to get the 9033 on the spot at Lowes. Got my order in with 80/20 for a 6ft 1010 and 20mm as well as 2 foot extensions for both rails if I end up needing them. Looking forward to using this setup and will post some picks once I get my rails and get everything together. Tossing around the idea of mounting the 2 foot extensions on the stand and attaching the 6ft pieces in the field as it may make transporting everything easier in my hatchback focus, thoughts on this idea? Chears!

Ps I got the hardware to properly attach the extensions as well as having all ends of the rails tapped so I should have near perfect alignment of my rails.

Last edited:
I copied Glasspack's 2x6-based rail adapter. I drilled three 1" holes with a Forstner bit about 1" from the edge and then cut 45 degree slots using a jigsaw. A 5/16" spade bit in the drill press, with a TIGHTLY secured 2x6 (attempt #2, oops) made the holes for the 1/4" x 6" carriage bolts.

Interestingly, the carriage bolts from Lowes required some Dremel work on the heads to slide up the channel in the rail, while the short bolt from the local hardware store (for the blast deflector) slid right in with no "surgery". YMMV. I bought 3 10" spikes to secure the legs, since it felt kinda wobbly with the 8' 1010 rail (top heavy) in today's wind.

Here it is with the cake lifter blast deflector and my kids' TARC rocket loaded on. So glad I found this Jaw Stand solution before I built something more elaborate / expensive / time-consuming! I'm sure their TARC team will appreciate the ease of loading the rocket, and hopefully also the higher velocity off the rail (vs. 6' rail). We'll see in a few hours!

upload_2019-3-17_5-58-59.png
Horizontal loading...
upload_2019-3-17_6-0-10.png

I have a jawstand and a couple 6' 1010 rails. Sadly, I have no really good ideas on how to make tab A fit into slot B. I'm looking for a solution that keeps the rail as close to center as possible, and leaves as much of the rail as possible usable by the rocket. Pictures or plans are appreciated!

You can connect the two halves of your rails with these connectors from Rocketry Works: https://www.rocketryworks.com/1010-launch-rail-joint/ That way you can disconnect for transport. Attach the bottom rail to the 2x4, leaving room to attach the top rail.

1010_joint_smooth__94715.1542399068.JPG

I've been using a Triton Multi-Stand for a few years now. It's solid and can launch most mid power rockets without additional security for the feet when using a 2m 1010 rail. I always use heavy duty tent pegs when launching any high power rockets when using a 3m rail. It only cost about AU$80.

It can also support a spreader bar for a selection of rods for the smaller rockets.

View attachment 364265 View attachment 364266 View attachment 364267 View attachment 364268
Now where have I seen that before? :)

Back