• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

New Scan of Estes Black Brant II (1958) Fins in matrix and w/ruler.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, you may have seen the image I've created, using OpenRocket, showing the Estes Black Brant II (1958) and its roll pattern in my BBII Roll Pattern Madness thread. If not, here it is again...

26479664562_8920f327c7_b.jpg

Problem is, the fins. I was able to take measurements from my own BBII for the body tubes (which BTW, do not match the Estes Body Tube Guide (Rev. 3.1)), when I began the .ork, but I couldn't find the fins for my unfinished one to measure from. So, that file got put off for a while, and now I'm in China where I have no way to confirm the fin measurements.

The scan on plans.rocketshoppe.com of the fin does indicate the thickness, but doesn't have a scale to measure from. In thinking more about it as I typed this, I realized that there is one known value, but still I'd feel better with a second example.

So, I'm asking for a new scan that includes the fins in a matrix, and a ruler (preferably with 1/32", or 1/64" graduations visible for part of it).

Thanks!
Jim

Last edited:
Here you go. Grid is 0.1".

attachment.php

Perfect!

I'll add that the fin thickness is 1/8" (.125")/3.175mm.

I've copied it to a thumb drive, and will print it out this afternoon. I hope to have the file up before the end of the day.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Could someone do me a favor? I was poking around with the Estes Body Tube guide (Ver 3.1) and it has the shorter body tube lengths as 1.906" (the payload section) and 1.875" for the motor. However, I've found that if you trust those numbers, the length of the rocket is far longer than what the catalog says (which is always suspect)

IIRC, I took my measurements from my actual kits, but there's always the (remote) chance I mixed parts up.

I have the lengths as... 1.875" for the payload section, and .875" for the motor.

I'm looking for someone to check their stock Estes BBII (1958)'s body tube lengths.

Thanks!
Jim

I have one that's still sealed in the package. I'm reluctant to open it if I'm not planning to built it any time soon (which I'm not), but perhaps I can get you close-enough to verify numbers measured through the bag.

I have one that's still sealed in the package. I'm reluctant to open it if I'm not planning to built it any time soon (which I'm not), but perhaps I can get you close-enough to verify numbers measured through the bag.

Thanks! You shouldn't have to open the package, It should be fairly obvious if both of the short body tubes are the better part of 2" long, or one is nearly 2" long, and the other less than 1".

I retreived my open BBII #1958 kit from the attic.

I measured the Payload Tube 55PC (030389) as 1 and 7/8 inches. 1.875" or 47.5mm.

The Tail Cone Tube 55TC (030390) as 7/8" (0.875") or 22mm. I am hoping this is what your refered to as the motor tube.

Please let me know if you need anything else from the kit.

Chas
Charles Russell

I retreived my open BBII #1958 kit from the attic.

I measured the Payload Tube 55PC (030389) as 1 and 7/8 inches. 1.875" or 47.5mm.

The Tail Cone Tube 55TC (030390) as 7/8" (0.875") or 22mm. I am hoping this is what your refered to as the motor tube.

Please let me know if you need anything else from the kit.

Chas
Charles Russell

Perfect! I was right, the Body Tube Guide got this one wrong. Still it's a very useful tool.

I also have the peace of mind that my .ork files are correct. :smile:

K'Tesh

Remember when I told you I was building a Black Brant but it had a different nose cone / payload ?

Well in the 2 attachments the short nosecone section is the normal payload that just houses the electronic experiments and
the motor igniter housing.

The long nosecone section is the one on the Black Brant I am modeling . It has an adapter ring that attaches the electronics section
to the parachute recovery section and a separation ring below the parachute section . when the separation is activated it will separate
between the parachute section and the igniter housing.

This was the first attempt at parachute recovery on a Black Brant

The motor and fins remained the same

Bobby

2 types of Black Brant payload sections.jpg

view 2.jpg

Back