Advantages of Split Fins?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fyrfytr310

Reaction score
Are there other advantages to split fin designs besides the obvious CP improvement and aesthetics?

Not that I can think of, unless you are building a scale, semi-scale, or scale-like missile.

That said, some of them are really sexy.

They result in getting speeding tickets while still sitting on the pad, which increases insurance rates.

If the fins are slightly out of alignment, or if an airfoil effect is introduced, then some destabilizing force vectors can make an otherwise boring and predictable flight go more like a skywriting exercise.

Split fins make you a better human being and you'll get to sit with the cool kids at lunch. I've never heard someone say "Look at this boring split fin rocket."

Aerodynamically I doubt there are any "Advantages" unless your rocket is a real missile with active guidance and a warhead.
I prefer models of actual missiles, so for me the "Advantage" is in paying homage to the missiles that do what they do.
I don't care for putting people in rockets or space travel, but I do love to blow $%^& up and what not.
My Split Fin Models will always come back to Earth intact under a chute' or streamer, but I enjoy thinking about them doing their job.
Thusly, I prefer them over other designs.
I don't care about altitude or speed.

I also like the fact that I can line all the fins up so my rockets don't twist on the way up.

K'Tesh said:
Which is infinitely better than if they are making a whistle as the come down.

That is funny

Oh man, I have had two come down ballistic within 20 feet of me and one of them I had no visual on at all. The whistle was absolutely terrifying; at least I can laugh about it now.

Oh man, I have had two come down ballistic within 20 feet of me and one of them I had no visual on at all. The whistle was absolutely terrifying; at least I can laugh about it now.

Back in the 90's I made a scratch build SPEV by combining the fins and nosecone of an ill fated Estes Sizzler (1906) with an Alpha's body tube once (D powered), and a 12 inch (vented) parachute. I had to nearly pack the nosecone entirely with clay to get it to be stable.

I hadn't finished the rocket, and I had two D motors cato on me, so I wasn't taking any chances with a rocket that I cared about. So, I loaded my last D motor into it (I wasn't marking my motors at that time with date/box number, so I didn't know if the motor was safe, or not, but I didn't really understand about Estes replacement policy, and wasn't going to waste the motor by soaking it.

One day I decided to do a launch, so I loaded the suspect motor up into that rocket, and launched it with a friend of mine.

The rocket leaped off the pad, and was well on its way to having a beautiful flight when it suddenly exploded about 15-20 feet off the ground. The remains floated down on us like confetti. Well after the last piece of rocket landed, we started looking at the remains when we suddenly heard a whistle, and a thump. We spun around, and found the parachute fused into a wad lying on the ground behind us only about 20 feet away. I went to pick it up, when I realized that it was attached to the ground. Some gentle pulling, and I was able to extract the nosecone from the soft, wet soil of our football field. It was completely buried to a depth of about 3 inches IIRC. I'm so glad that we didn't get hit by it, I think it would have been painful at best, lethal at worst. I still have parts of that rocket, but no intention of trying to rebuild it.

Last edited:
Back