First Hybrid Motor CAD and Questions!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AstroClark

Reaction score
Well this is my first post here so hello!

But let's get to my obviously beginner question(s). So I am building a hybrid rocket motor and wondering if the amount of o-rings I am using is correct!
55837db24e2580db200ec806d3fa7777.jpg
The cap will be welded on after putting an o ring in a groove below it. There is a hole in the top of it to attach the oxidizer supply and ignition chamber. The engine has two o'rings with grooves in itself and the body tube and is screwed on with 8 1/4 20 screws. Paraffin Wax is the fuel and Nitrous Oxide is the oxidizer.
I can supply the CAD model if needed to check out my models and ensure building it in real life is safe and functional!
So yeah, would you guys check it out and give me a shout what you think? Thanks!
-Clark

(edit) GIF is not working so here is the link
https://gyazo.com/55837db24e2580db200ec806d3fa7777

Do you have any experience with nitrous? Do you know about the possibility of nitrous becoming a mono propellant? Have you ever read any papers by Arif Karabeyoglu? If the answers to these questions are no, you should not be doing this. Instead, you should start with slightly less ambitious goals and work up. Nitrous can be very unforgiving.
How do you weld the cap on without destroying the o-rings? Why do you weld on the cap (most of us would call that a forward closure and we would not weld it on.) If you weld it on, why do you need o-rings?

[emoji1010] Steve Shannon, P.E. [emoji1010]

Do you have any experience with nitrous? Do you know about the possibility of nitrous becoming a mono propellant? Have you ever read any papers by Arif Karabeyoglu? If the answers to these questions are no, you should not be doing this. Instead, you should start with slightly less ambitious goals and work up. Nitrous can be very unforgiving.
How do you weld the cap on without destroying the o-rings? Why do you weld on the cap (most of us would call that a forward closure and we would not weld it on.) If you weld it on, why do you need o-rings?

[emoji1010] Steve Shannon, P.E. [emoji1010]

I am a pipe welder. Welded caps do not need o-rings and they will be damaged when you weld.

I would also say that o rings work better compressed in a groove between the OD of the bulkhead or nozzle and the ID of the tube. That is the method of Contrail's designs.

Last edited:
Back