Another New Guy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpaceDog

Reaction score
Hello Everybody!

Greetings from South Carolina.

I have been lurking for a while & thought it was about time I introduced myself.

I am a BAR. Grew up flying Estes & Centuri. I found a box with a few of my old rockets at my parent's house.....MAN those things look bad! I guess my construction skills were not quite up to par.

I did a Google search & was blown away by the results. I ordered Stine's "Handbook of Model Rocketry" & visited a local club launch. (ROCC - Rocketry of Central Carolina). What a great group!

Next thing you know, I was ordering model rocket kits. I joined ROCC & began attending the monthly launch last fall.

I decided to try my hand at MPR with an Estes Pro Series II kit. There are 3 more waiting to be built along with a LOC Weasel.

Now I have my sights set on Level 1 Certification. I have a LOC IV in the que for that.

I am having a blast! This stuff sure is addictive....

Patrick

I wonder if it's because it's spring time, but there seem to be an awful lot of new people here, it's fantastic! Welcome!

Hi Patrick and welcome to the asylum. ROCC does Williams Farm out in Midland. Been there a few times because I live sorta near there. Most of the launches I attend are in SC though. What part are you in? I'm considering a move to Aiken sometime this year.

When you get your rocket chops back up, post some pics as you go. We really like those.

Welcome to the forum. I think you are off to a great start:

- flying with a club is one of my first pieces of advice.

- great avatar picture ! :)

I, for one, would like to see those old rockets. I wish I had the foresight to save some of that stuff.

Hi Patrick and welcome to the asylum. ROCC does Williams Farm out in Midland. Been there a few times because I live sorta near there. Most of the launches I attend are in SC though. What part are you in? I'm considering a move to Aiken sometime this year.

When you get your rocket chops back up, post some pics as you go. We really like those.

I live in Rock Hill.

Aiken is a nice area.....come on down!

Welcome to the forum. I think you are off to a great start:

- flying with a club is one of my first pieces of advice.

- great avatar picture ! :)

I, for one, would like to see those old rockets. I wish I had the foresight to save some of that stuff.

Glad you like the avatar. That is my sidekick....He LOVES rockets!

I will try to get up the nerve to post a picture of my old rockets. They are pretty bad. Definitely embarrassing.

Welcome, and I second the great avatar comment. I had a Golden Retriever growing up and might get one now that I am retired. Would that make me a BAGRO - Born Again Golden Retriever Owner???

I live in Rock Hill.

Aiken is a nice area.....come on down!

If you have a field to launch in, maybe some weekend we could fly a few. I'm just north of Gastonia. Not far away really. A visit to Rock Hill is always a good excuse to do lunch at the White Horse also.

A big welcome Patrick..
This is the place for rocketry related info,
that's for sure..
I love the avatar pic too man,, lol..

Teddy

How do! Lots to learn here. Speaking of addiction, here's how it goes:
  1. I'd really like to build a small model rocket and launch it, if it isn't too expensive.
  2. Boy, I didn't know they made those bigger ones. I'd like to try one of those.
  3. You know, 900 feet of altitude really isn't all that high....
  4. I think I'll go to a club launch and see what other people do.
  5. Wow! So I could get a level 1 certification with an MPR rocket and a small H motor?
  6. Got my level 1. I think I'll enjoy this a lot, and I don't see the need for level 2.
  7. Hmm, this 38mm motor mount could take a J .... Maybe I could get my level 2, but that's it!
  8. Level 2! Yee-ha! This is great. But I see absolutely no reason to go to level 3. That's just too expensive and time-consuming.
  9. I think I'll buy this kit with the 75mm motor mount. Lots of K and L choices in 75mm.
  10. You know, it wouldn't be a stretch to put an M in that rocket and get my level 3....
  11. Now that I'm level 3, I'd really like to try a cluster of Ms.
  12. I'm on my way to BALLS to fly a P motor! Glad I bought this trailer, truck and motor home!
:grin:

Love Goldens, they just make me smile! I grew up with one that looked just like that, except his thing was tennis balls and he could fit three in his mouth...silly dog. My mother used to say anyone who owns a Golden has to be a decent person, so welcome to you and your rocket retriever sidekick.

1. I'd really like to build a small model rocket and launch it, if it isn't too expensive.
  2. Boy, I didn't know they made those bigger ones. I'd like to try one of those.
  5. Wow! So I could get a level 1 certification with an MPR rocket and a small H motor?
  6. Got my level 1. I think I'll enjoy this a lot, and I don't see the need for level 2.
  7. Hmm, this 38mm motor mount could take a J .... Maybe I could get my level 2, but that's it!
  8. Level 2! Yee-ha! This is great. But I see absolutely no reason to go to level 3. That's just too expensive and time-consuming.
  9. I think I'll buy this kit with the 75mm motor mount. Lots of K and L choices in 75mm.
  10. You know, it wouldn't be a stretch to put an M in that rocket and get my level 3....
  12. I'm on my way to BALLS to fly a P motor! Glad I bought this trailer, truck and motor home!

Nailed it.

I'm on step 9. I keep telling myself it's cheaper than a drug habit. Between 10 and 11 I'm not so sure that will be true anymore.

You're going to have a good time, Patrick.

Last edited:
Welcome, and I second the great avatar comment. I had a Golden Retriever growing up and might get one now that I am retired. Would that make me a BAGRO - Born Again Golden Retriever Owner???

I definitely recommend you get another golden. Train him to retrieve rockets at an early age. BAGRO has a nice ring to it.

If you have a field to launch in, maybe some weekend we could fly a few. I'm just north of Gastonia. Not far away really. A visit to Rock Hill is always a good excuse to do lunch at the White Horse also.

Sounds like a plan. I do not have a field, but I will keep my eye out for a suitable location. I have been eating at the White Horse for over 25 years!

Hmmm.....I am already up to number 5. You are scaring me!

I COULD stop now if I wanted to!

Uh-oh....I didn't realize I was that far down the rabbit hole (step 10) 😲

Sounds like a plan. I do not have a field, but I will keep my eye out for a suitable location. I have been eating at the White Horse for over 25 years!

My history with the White Horse started back in the mid 70's. I worked / managed 2 of them until 1984 just before moving to Texas. I'll PM you my phone number and we can set up a date to meet and chew rocket fat over a Nitty Gritty Grinder or whatever.

Greetings from Mainland China!

Sorry it took so long to notice this... I've been tied up trying to figure out the Estes Black Brant II's roll pattern (that took several hours).

Welcome!

Latest posts

Back