Mini Midwest Power 2016

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I met a gentleman on Sunday the 15th, his name is Tom E. and he is a friend of one of our usual suspect fliers Steve W. He was taking some video with DJI Phantom and he emailed me a link to some of the footage he spliced together:

[video=youtube;QChJjSU04js]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QChJjSU04js&feature=youtu.be[/video]

THAT is really neat too see! Thanks for sharing this with us Justin! :D It seemed like wherever you were on Sunday that little Critter was all over the sky...

Thanks Richard for melting your shoes with me after Gus started the place on fire again:wink:...thanks Gus for the warning so we could be proactive!

When The Gus flies rockets, he doesn't just throw them on the pad and push the button, he launches in style. The carpet is rolled out, the National Anthem sung, flyover complete, and Gus methodically builds up the impending flight. Gus's last AMW M2200 Skid goes in Red Dog, the Scooter sustainer.

157_zps3grp4oyz.jpg

Gus takes a bow, and the "Go" button is depressed. As usual, Gus lights the place on fire; my pants smelled like burning brush pile for the ride home!

158_zps96njpm98.jpg

Higher...

159_zpscf3a2fs4.jpg

-Eric-

Ohhhhhhhh......:rolleyes: You flatter me! ;)

Eric, thank-you for all the great pictures (of other peoples rockets too) and, kind words said! :eek:

Because of *this* weekend i now have TWO more potential L-3 projects to coordinate with other fine rocketeers!

You mean "he's" a TAP:confused:
:yawn: Never heard of him before...
Here, hold this fire extinguisher! :eek:
:confused: Why?
Your about ready too find out! :p

3...2...1...:jaw:

I read through these threads solely for the Gus posts.

Ohhhhh....my cheeks are turning red again...:eek: NO! Not those ones! Would you believe over the years only *one* person has ever approached me at a launch and, told me they really didn't like what i had too say here.
Of course the individual didn't identify themselves and, promptly walked away.

Stuff like that doesn't hurt in the least...

I'm not looking to quit my night job and, hit the traveling Stand Up Comics Circuit.
I'm never going to put a home built rocket into space and, probably NOT going to wow anyone with my building prowess in a thread.

But, if i can make you laugh yourself blue here or behind the tail end of my pickup at a launch (and, trust me the language sometimes gets real harsh) then maybe it's a good day.

If not, there's sure to be a post right below mine that may be more suited too your tastes! :p

Thank-you to everyone (and, there were a few at this last launch) who quietly said...somewhere/sometime i made them just about whiz themselves over something i elaborated about here.

This is a great hobby with sooooo....many talented people from all walks of life with their own distinct skills that i feed off to help myself become smarter and, better with each and, every trip to field.

I cherish those moments dearly. Thank-you again for your kind comments.

Ohhhhh....my cheeks are turning red again...:eek: NO! Not those ones! Would you believe over the years only *one* person has ever approached me at a launch and, told me they really didn't like what i had too say here.
Of course the individual didn't identify themselves and, promptly walked away.

Stuff like that doesn't hurt in the least...

I'm not looking to quit my night job and, hit the traveling Stand Up Comics Circuit.
I'm never going to put a home built rocket into space and, probably NOT going to wow anyone with my building prowess in a thread.

But, if i can make you laugh yourself blue here or behind the tail end of my pickup at a launch (and, trust me the language sometimes gets real harsh) then maybe it's a good day.

If not, there's sure to be a post right below mine that may be more suited too your tastes! :p

Thank-you to everyone (and, there were a few at this last launch) who quietly said...somewhere/sometime i made them just about whiz themselves over something i elaborated about here.

This is a great hobby with sooooo....many talented people from all walks of life with their own distinct skills that i feed off to help myself become smarter and, better with each and, every trip to field.

I cherish those moments dearly. Thank-you again for your kind comments.
Over the years I've been on TRF, from the amount of drink spit onto my keyboard... I think you owe me 5 new computers, 6 keyboards, 2 new phones, and a new sister. XD

Yeah but Tim mentioned the Punisher Sport special and I received it yesterday. It's perfect to use as my nosecone
tracker survived just fine. An I200 might be doable if the 14 L second delay is long enough.

Kurt

Good--wish ya the best on the rebuild. Sometimes tough for me to stay motivated and get through a repair, but always worth it afterwards.

I had an excellent time, despite the extremely high winds being to much for my steerable kite. I learned a ton and will be applying everything to my next launches. Unfortunately an aggressive recovery opening broke one of the sides off of my steering bay and caused the loss of my upwards facing camera which provides some of the best diagnostics. Everything will be repaired by my next flight.

Good--wish ya the best on the rebuild. Sometimes tough for me to stay motivated and get through a repair, but always worth it afterwards.

Actually, I'm more excited now about the Punisher Sport. I took another look at the Formula 54 and I believe if I can clean the residue out, I can slather some epoxy on the inside and slide down a coupler to buttress the hole. Structurally the
rocket is sound even with the hole. Heck, once the coupler is in place, I could paint it black to complete the optical delusion of a rocket flying with a burn hole in the side. The burn through occurred well above the forward centering ring.
Yeah, it'll add tail weight but the rocket was pretty overstable with the heavy metal tipped glass nosecone that had the EggFinder and lipo in it.

Even though it was still pretty windy on Sunday, I was surprised how close many of the flights landed. Kurt

Last edited:
Adrian was close by. He seems to be a homing beacon for rockets. My nose cone landed right next to him

I had an excellent time, despite the extremely high winds being to much for my steerable kite. I learned a ton and will be applying everything to my next launches. Unfortunately an aggressive recovery opening broke one of the sides off of my steering bay and caused the loss of my upwards facing camera which provides some of the best diagnostics. Everything will be repaired by my next flight.

Very cool ideas you have there Brian. I'm an embedded systems developer and wanted to talk to you more about your work, but we ended up chasing my friend Drew's rocket, and you were gone by the time we got back. But if you have time sometime, I'd love to talk about what you're doing.

TB

Adrian was close by. He seems to be a homing beacon for rockets. My nose cone landed right next to him

Yup... Adrian at WOOSH launches is definitely a rocket magnet. :wink:

Yup... Adrian at WOOSH launches is definitely a rocket magnet. :wink:

I think if Nick's nosecone had hit me, my insurance company would make me take up a new hobby (like stamp collecting, or knitting...). I know my underoos would be happier too :wink:

Adrian

Also, if anyone would like to have a copy of the footage on DVD, please send me a PM.

Awesome video Justin! Thanks for doing this for us...PM sent to order a humble copy! ;)

Hey, who's rocket is that at the 31:05 mark? NICE Skidmark motor....:confused:

Your such a Ham Gusser! :rolleyes:

Back