Fly Away rail guides - where to buy?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banzai88

Lvl 2, Wallet..even more destroyed
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking to try some fly away rail guides for some 1.6" thin wall fiberglass rockets, and ultimately to use on a Rapton 38. What are your sources? Pros/cons?

I don't have Gary Byrum's Launch Lug cartoon but...We used to make our own back in the old days... ;) I think it was a article in the old High Power Rocketry mag I got it from. Even home-made ones work great :)

Last edited:
I don't have Gary Byrum's Launch Lug cartoon but...We used to make our own back in the old days... ;) I think it was a article in the old High Power Rocketry mag I got it from. Even home-made ones work great :)
Please elaborate "home-made".

I'm looking to try some fly away rail guides for some 1.6" thin wall fiberglass rockets, and ultimately to use on a Rapton 38. What are your sources? Pros/cons?

You're going to love them! ... and BTW it don't have to be a glass tube. Believe it our not we always launch my sons Estes Top Shot using the Mayhem guides. That's right a BT-60 thin wall tube, E12 BP. Over half a dozen times now w/o fail 100%, batting 1000. Interesting to hear the comments about why someone is launching a "toy" rocket on an "away" pad. Even more interesting when some one says "something fell of the rocket" and I turn around and say "it damn well better".

Got several video if you'd like to see them?

Here are some "promotion" pics of the 38mm guide (1.6") on my Madcow Tomach Mini and that Estes Top Shot.

IMG_3348.jpg IMG_3342.jpg

Last edited:
Mayhem Rocketry makes them, but they are sold exclusively through Animal Motor Works mentioned and linked above. But, AFAIK 38mm is the smallest.

These guides where invented and made by Bill Cook (AKA wfcook) who is a frequent poster here on TRF. Very smart young engineer and a good guy.

These guides where invented and made by Bill Cook (AKA wfcook) who is a frequent poster here on TRF. Very smart young engineer and a good guy.

:) Yes he is. Didn't want to name drop as now he’ll have to deal with the paparazzi :wink:

Ted, your jig and Bill's guides 2 of my favorite things.

:) Yes he is. Didn't want to name drop as now he’ll have to deal with the paparazzi :wink:

Ted, your jig and Bill's guides 2 of my favorite things.

Thanks jahall4. Your support gives me resolve.

Back