CJ's LDRS 35 Punisher Sport Drag Race 35.00 build.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackjack2564

Crazy Jim's Gone Banana's
Reaction score
Wildman & Aero-Tech are bringing you a LDRS 35 Drag Race Special.
After much discussion, we thought it would be fun to drag race something everyone could get involved with.
Even if your not L-1, you can build and fly with us.
Fly it on G's for the race. Later stick G's H's & I's in it for more fun.
Stick a H in and get your L-1.

Punisher Sport Normally 79.95 just for LDRS 35........35 bucks!
All thin wall light weight fiberglass parts, ready to take on the dry lake bed.
Easy to build & easy to fly. Any 5-10-15 minute epoxy will do.

AT RMS29/40-120 MOTOR case. 64.95
WITH a G-64-7 reload 16.95 ......................................35.buck more for both.
Get it, LDRS 35....rocket 35.00 ...motor case & reload..35.00

Screen Shot 2016-04-20 at 12.32.19 AM.png

Rocket kit will be shipped now for you to build, and get ready for LDRS.
Motor case & reload delivered at LDRS 35 for pick up, before the drag race.
You must show up with BUILT rocket to get your G- motor & hardware.

So let the drag race building fun begin.
Our Sport line is a great introduction to fiberglass, especially for those with small fields. Flies to under 400 feet on an E motor, but sturdy enough for an H and higher altitudes on bigger fields.

22" of 54mm lightweight airframe
29mm fiberglass motor mount 7" long
Plastic molded NC
2 G10 centering rings
1/16" thick G10 fins

DSCN5723.jpg

Upgrade to fiberglass spiral wound with aluminum tip for 15.00 more.

Drag race details forthcoming soon.[motor may be different G depending on Wildman's mood...lol]

I'm building mine now....hope to have you guys join me in the racing fun.

Last edited:
I went ahead and upgraded to the fiberglass cone, along with BP's & vent band for the NC shoulder.
Thus turning it into a DD Punisher Super Sport.
I also beveled my fins. [they don't come beveled being 1/16th]

DSCN5701.jpg

The aluminum tip now has a shoulder to keep it centered when installed. For that "perfect fit" I wrapped some tape around shoulder, then added the eyebolt with recovery harness attached. Some Loc-Tite thread locker to keep thing in
check.

DSCN5705.jpg DSCN5707.jpg

While mixing JB Weld for motor retainer, I prepped the av-bay bulk plates also. Just a thin wipe of epoxy is all that's needed. The correct Aero-pac retainer for Wildman/any, thin-wall tubing [38mm motor mount] is L-2 as seen highlighted on header card.

DSCN5709.jpg DSCN5716.jpg

Where do we go to get this price? Wildman's website still lists as $79.95.

Wait, is this 29mm or 38mm? It looks like the LDRS deal is for a 29mm single deploy kit, while CJ is building a 38mm one with dual deployment.

The $35 deal is way too good to pass up! I would not mind either upgrade, though.

That's how you win the drag race: sell a bunch of 29mm kits but stick a 38 in yours. :)

Hmmm. Just what I need another great deal on a rocket that I'll get around to building eventually... :facepalm:
And yet, I'll probably still get one...

Adrian

I wonder what optimum weight is for a full G, like the G54.. hmmm

Like the MD.. may have to shoot for a convertible like the VB extremes but dont want to over weight it

-edit- drag race , speed, not altitude .. ok

Kenny

Last edited:
That's how you win the drag race: sell a bunch of 29mm kits but stick a 38 in yours. :)

Uh Huh!

I heard you might be able to purchase the rocket deal without going to LDRS...

This may or may not be true, only a quick call & bribe to Wildman will clear this up.

Can anybody confirm or deny this? I would love to buy one, but probably won't make it to LDRS.

Yes & no, I CAN confirm & deny this.

..............................................................................................................................................................

Finished the av-bay caps/BP's.

DSCN5733.jpg

Stick one on end of coupler, to get proper depth set for gluing on vent band.

DSCN5735.jpg

Insert into NC, slips vent band into position, wrap with tape to catch excess glue when epoxying into place.

DSCN5736.jpg

Waiting to see your HED setup Jim. Im using the poly NC with the sled (from Attebery) mounted inside the NC. Was planning on a L1000, tracker and a streamer at Argonia. I may upgrade to the HED NC before then.

Last edited:
CaveDuck and I are both in for one.. will be great to have a real build session !

I'm in as well. Mine will ship after a new batch of tubing comes in. Now to think up a paint scheme.

I picked one up as well... Wish I was going to ldrs so I could take advantage of the motor deal as well. Thanks to wild man for the awesome deal. This will be my first fiberglass kit. Does anyone have a rocksim file for this kit?

Now to think up a paint scheme.

I reached out to Mark at Stickershock for a couple that we are building as a family. He came up with some awesome personalized graphics. He even made a hello kitty/skull graphic to fit with the Punisher logo for my littlest one. I'll let your imagination think about that one for a minute. He's got a great deal out there now and I'm sure he'd love for his email box to be flooded with orders.

Back to work on this thing.

Fresh RocketPoxy...takes about 45 minutes "resting ' after mix to get thick enough for fillets at 65 degrees. [where I'm at]
So I went ahead and mixed batch up, on cardboard, then spread out to "de-gass" all the bubbles from mixing. You can see the larger ones at surface already.

DSCN5747.jpg

Next I use my method of transferring lines from tool to fin/airframe for placing tape & neat fillets. Just coat small area with marker and rub back/forth on rocket leaving lines to tape. [that's a 1in. diameter section of PVC, for those paying attention.]

DSCN5750.jpg DSCN5752.jpg

After waiting for epoxy to thicken properly, [not sag when placed in groove] I went ahead and did 4 fillets at once.

DSCN5755.jpg DSCN5756.jpg

Waited 2 hrs, then flipped and did remaining 2 fillets.
While all this curing was going on, began to fit the av-bay out. [next]

Last edited:
Oooopppsss.....got head of myself photo wise.

Glued on the AP motor retainer & rear CR.

DSCN5724.jpg

[Rest of pics here, from other build...went to fast.]
I did notch the top CR for shock cord. This build has a "Y-harness, shock cord attached to both sides of motor mount...1/4in. Kevlar

DSCN3546.jpg

Slobbered on plenty epoxy to cord. Stuff excess into motor mount, to keep out of the way, for rest of build.

DSCN3551.jpg DSCN3554.jpg

After cure inserted assembly into rear of fincan. No measuring etc. on this one. Just glueing fins on & going with it.
But I did triple dip the fins root edge, making sure there was plenty epoxy on the motor mount, as this beastie will eventually fly a biggest 38's out there. [with only 1/16th fins] "Triple" dip for those just tuning in...is further addition to my "double dip" method of attaching fins to motor mount.
Simply butter the root of fin, press through slot onto MM tube. Remove & repeat. I added an extra "remove & repeat". That's 3x's for those counting!

DSCN3556.jpg

Then after all this cures. I did the above. Should mention, I used pretty good size fillet tool for rocket this small. wanting to beef them up, for use with large motors.

Last edited:
I had mixed some lead powder for another rocket and had some leftover. Since the space from the long eye-bolt in NC is wasted anyhow, I added 5oz of lead/epoxy, just enough to fill area, but leave the "Eye" exposed for recovery attachment. It's between the washer centering the E bolt and eye.

No weight is needed, but by adding some, I'll get added momentum when flying motors with "punch". Which is what I fly mostly.

DSCN5743.jpg

Here clearly seen is the recovery harness/attachment point for rest of gear. I am using 15 ft of Kevlar, 9inch nomex & 36in Topflight chute. It's a bit tight, but with careful packing all fits.

DSCN5737.jpg

While I was at it, added the 22 ft Kevlar to the booster Y-harness. end with quick link is wrapped with masking tape for 14in. approx. to protect from charge blast. Bowline is knot used to attach to harness & water knot to quick link.

DSCN5759.jpg

Last edited:
Av-bay uses 2 tie rods # 6 all thread & nuts. 1/16th G-10 sled wire tied to rods, where I have notches to recess the ties, so they slide in properly. Each end of sled is notched to clear the eye-bolts in bulk plates.

DSCN5790.jpg

Other side has Strato CF altimeter....1 cell 3.7 volt..750Ma LiPo battery. I use "twist & tape" wire for switch, it's fished through one of the vent band holes. [3 holes 5/32 dia.] Make it long enough, it will stay in place when sled removed for working on.
On separate sled is the Missleworks GPS. Sled is just a tad larger than the unit, a 1 cell 3.7 battery [same as above] is then taped to one side of that sled & GPS is mounted on other. Basically a self-contained unit that can easily be moved between rockets. Just wrap with bubble wrap and stick in NC or back side of sled. Works great and simple to move.

DSCN5789.jpg

In this case ,it fits perfect on back side of sled. Place right on...slide into av-bay and put some packing in to keep from moving front to back.

DSCN5791.jpg DSCN5792.jpg

Looking good so far…
Saw some of those nosecones in Wildmans’ trailer this past weekend – Careful CJ you could put your eye out with that thing! :y:

Back