13mm Aluminum Retainer.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tuned up the plastic retainer to make it as small as possible while maintaining functionality, and will fly it as is on the teeny triskellion, but when I was sleeping I devised a way to make proper threads in all MMX size motor tubes.
As expected, JB Weld will be used, but that idea about the revers Heli-Coil will not be necessary.
I will start with a fresh build, and a fresh un-primed tube. I will sand the outside of the tube down very carefully, using my caliper to ensure that I only remove the outer most 25% of the thickness. I'll then drill 4-5 tiny holes about 1 millimeter from the aft, that will form "Epoxy Rivets" of the JB.
Before application of the JB, I'll carefully harden the area with thin CA, to lock the fibers of paper into place to prevent the torsional forces of use from degrading the tube over time. I will allow this to fully cure and off-gas before proceeding to the JB Weld.
I will wrap some Teflon tape around a spent motor casing, and place it in the tube prior to applying the JB, so the internal surfaces are not to tricky to clean up after the epoxy has cured.
I'll mask off the portion of the MMT that I don't need threaded, as we won't want any mess that would add to the weigh unnecessarily.
After I get a layer of JB worked in, I will take one of those annoying "Whisps" of Fiber Glass cloth, likely jut from say 1oz. stuff, and cut it to the proper length and wrap it around the portion to be threaded, and press it gently into the JB. I've pressed individual FG fibers into JB Weld before for a couple tiny things and it has worked fine, but if I determine this to be a pain, I'll chop the single fiber into dust and press this into the JB instead.
When the JB is cured, and PRIOR to removing the masked motor, I will sand to proper spec. using my caliper to guide me, then use a thread cutting die of the appropriate aspect to render threads to the prepared portion of the tube.
Once the threads are cut, a drip of regular CA, and then a second run though the die should yield a nice finish.

This in my mind should be the most efficient and serviceable method for creating a repeatable and long lasting thread to screw the tiny retainers onto.:)

I first considered using Aluminum HVAC tape, but it is too thick, and I expect the glue would degrade over time, especially given the corrosive nature of the black powder residue.

I have drilled and tapped JB Weld in the past, but have never used it to render threads externally, yet at this tiny scale, and using the malleable plastic caps, I believe it will be efficient.

I'm designing a new model with enough length to give me a good stability margin to be able try different brands and styles of caps as a test platform.
A Micro-Grey Scale Zero.:) The BBZ design has stability coming out it's ears!

That's my kind of crazy ; super excited to watch!

That's my kind of crazy ; super excited to watch!

I'm going to go borrow my Mom's camera so I can share the process. I just got done scaling the Mini BBZ to be a Micro BBZ, but since it is in grey scale, it will be another "Grey Scale Zero".

I know some here will always question my motives for doing these things, but I assure you, my only motivation is to have fun.
After all, isn't that the reason we do rockets in the first place?
When this hobby becomes stale or boring to me, I'll give it up.

They work, and without a stability deficit, as the flight was arrow straight to nearly 80 feet or so!!! Seemed higher, but I really can't say exactly, so I'll low ball it.
My Son volunteered to do the camera again, so credit to him for the pics' from his I pod.
I also rolled the tube for the micro Grey Scale Zero, which will get my composite threads.
At least if you don't want to go that route you can screw the modified caps onto painted motor tubes.
My augmented igniters work great too!

IMG_0685.jpgIMG_0684.jpg

IMG_0688.jpg

IMG_0687.jpg

It looks pretty sweet on my scratch built MMX, which is lighter than my stock built teeny triskellion, so this thing ought to rip off the pad like nobodies business. I just have to go adjust my Ork. file now that the paint is on. I may paint the nose cone red too.
I also found this tiny metal retainer hiding in a car charger for an old cellphone.
Retainers are hiding everywhere, but sadly this nice metal one weighs 2g., so unless they make a composite MMX motor someday...

MicroRetainers 2016-04-20 005.jpgMicroRetainers 2016-04-20 006.jpgMicroRetainers 2016-04-20 003.jpgMicroRetainers 2016-04-20 001.jpg

I borrowed my Mom's camera, so I can start doing stuff, but I have a bunch more paper parts to cut, so we'll see about doing the composite threads maybe tonight, but more likely tomorrow.
I have a machinist friend, and I'm going to ask him about making an actual 13mm aluminum retainer. I can do the finish work and knurling by hand if he can make the threaded rings to the right specs.

Last edited:
AM50, AM60, AZ31, or AZ91 would be lighter still ... wonder what kind of cutoffs your friend might have available.

AM50, AM60, AZ31, or AZ91 would be lighter still ... wonder what kind of cutoffs your friend might have available.

I know very little about machining things. I know about making knives and drilling and tapping for scope bases on rifles, and I was a mechanic in the Army, but the whole lathe, cnc, milling this and that is out of my area of knowledge.
I know Steel, as my lines of work have had little use for Aluminum.
If I can get something made, it will be at his convenience, and within my budget. I don't even know how to do CAD yet, though I have been watching videos on youtube.
The Ideal solution is we find something that works and is cheap or free, like the MMX retainer.
Those will work great when I get my hands on the fancy plastic ones. My Idea for making the externally threads on the MMT is only two steps more complicated than my method of attaching a commercially available retainer, as I overbuild the crap out of everything, and am a big fan of epoxy rivets and finding any excuse to harden this with CA and drill really tiny holes in things.

I did figure out that I could just use the valve stem as a chuck/holding jig to spin them, and imagine something similar can be done to the little pill/geocache capsules for the 13mm version to remove excess material.
I'm learning about Lathes and such on youtube, and will be looking to acquire one in the future.

MMX Retainer Holding Jig 2016-04-24 004.jpgMMX Retainer Holding Jig 2016-04-24 003.jpgMMX Retainer Holding Jig 2016-04-24 005.jpg

Back