Repair suggestion wanted

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buckeye

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
During drogueless descent (or main deployment), the nose cone crashed into the body tube just above a fin, leaving a gash. This is a 4 inch cardboard rocket with plywood fins and 54mm motor tube.

Any suggestions for a repair technique, other than fiberglass? The gash is between centering rings, so foam might be an option.

1461029082068.jpg

1461029110063.jpg

Last edited:
During drogueless descent (or main deployment), the nose cone crashed into the body tube just above a fin, leaving a gash. This is a 4 inch cardboard rocket with plywood fins and 54mm motor tube.

Any suggestions for a repair technique, other than fiberglass? The gash is between centering rings, so foam might be an option.

Fill to seal the hole with foam or cotton and "Liquid Nail".
Finish it with some water putty or the MinWax Wood Filler (it's just bondo"
Then you're done!

I think it could be fairly easy.

Use an exacto knife and cut out the piece that is bent in.

Bend the piece out into something close to its original shape.

Use some fairly thin (30 min or longer) epoxy filled with Cabosil and brush it liberally on the inside of airframe opening and back of cut out piece.

Use some vinyl tape and place piece back in original opening. Make sure vinyl tape completely covers full repaired area (3 or 4 pieces likely) and that application of vinyl tape follows curvature of airframe.

Then turn the airframe over so epoxy settles in the cracks of repair (again following curvature of airframe).

Let cure completely and remove tape. You should just have light sanding and fill needed to prep for priming and top coat.

peel it back, stick in a coupler section and glue the snot out of it

If you don't want to add much filler or weight, and don't want to play with glass, you could drill into the CRs from aft, to create a channel to get in from the inside. Make the hole large enough to slide a section of tube into, atleast say 1/2" or larger if you can.
Get some water balloons, and seal them to a tube that is attached to a bicycle tire nozzle.
One inside the other for durability, then a small section of aluminum foil to protect the contact balloon.
Stick this second, inflating tube, into the placement tube, having marked depth and the like in the design phase of said contraption.
Basically, get the balloon up there, then inflate it to push the tube out from the inside.
You can carefully decide how much balloon you will need, and cut the placement tube accordingly. Slot it, so the balloons and foil patch only expand into one radial direction.
The other option is to drill tiny holes in the damage and pull the dent out carefully.
A compromise of both methods would probably work too, but there are many creative solutions to this dilemma that are worth doing, versus not doing anything.

When it is pulled into position for repairs/glue, that's up to you and the others, as you said you don't want to use any FG methods.

Last edited:
I'll pass on the repairs question, but I'll make this recommendation (not knowing what it's motor capabilities are). After the repairs are made, don't try to fly this to the edge of it's flight envelope. I'd worry that it'd buckle/shred if you tried.

a more extreme fix.... cut it in half and glue in a full coupler (slotted) but that would likely be ugly.

8686792607_362ca2b59e_c.jpg

8694604804_8cbbe653ac_z.jpg
8697475586_c74fdc1c89.jpg

I think I would try to cut it out and insert a tube with a tube backing on the edges, then fill as required.

On a related note. I would also consider using drogue right next to the to bottom of your AV bay, and sized just right to keep the nose/payload tube higher than the booster, but not too big to reduce your decent rate enough so it affects your drift. I usually take one or two checkout flights and a post flight analysis to dial this in.

Thanks guys. Given the smallish size of the damage, I am leaning towards the simple solutions from Dave A, dixon, and mpitfield.

mpitfield: Good point on the drogue. After many years of drogueless, I finally got burned by the chaotic free fall.

since its between cr's and it looks like you have ttw fins, i think id cut away some of the crushed bt, fill with foam letting it ooze out the hole, sand it back after dry until below the surface a bit, then fill that with epoxy. then sand flush with od of bt.
then it would be repaired with the added benefit of the fins being locked in.

of course, theres duct tape,too.:tongue:

Last edited:
If you don't want to add much filler or weight, and don't want to play with glass, you could drill into the CRs from aft, to create a channel to get in from the inside. Make the hole large enough to slide a section of tube into, atleast say 1/2" or larger if you can.
Get some water balloons, and seal them to a tube that is attached to a bicycle tire nozzle.
One inside the other for durability, then a small section of aluminum foil to protect the contact balloon.
Stick this second, inflating tube, into the placement tube, having marked depth and the like in the design phase of said contraption.
Basically, get the balloon up there, then inflate it to push the tube out from the inside.
You can carefully decide how much balloon you will need, and cut the placement tube accordingly. Slot it, so the balloons and foil patch only expand into one radial direction.
The other option is to drill tiny holes in the damage and pull the dent out carefully.
A compromise of both methods would probably work too, but there are many creative solutions to this dilemma that are worth doing, versus not doing anything.

When it is pulled into position for repairs/glue, that's up to you and the others, as you said you don't want to use any FG methods.

This is how I would expect Macgyver to install a stent in Pete Thornton when medical help is too far away...edge of my seat, have you tried this?

Thanks guys. Given the smallish size of the damage, I am leaning towards the simple solutions from Dave A, dixon, and mpitfield.

mpitfield: Good point on the drogue. After many years of drogueless, I finally got burned by the chaotic free fall.

That looks like a Frenzy, right? I have one configured but unflown as Dual Deploy, and will be taking this advice proactively as well! I fiberglassed mine to learn the technique and used it to get my L2, and is a good looking bird (love split fin designs!).

This is how I would expect Macgyver to install a stent in Pete Thornton when medical help is too far away...edge of my seat, have you tried this?

I have not tried this.

Perhaps I should.....

I have a 2.6" Airframe Sparrow Wing Section "Mock-up" that I could toss some CRs' in and then damage on purpose.....

Back