Cool picture

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Last edited:
Wow, looks great! Sad about the Shuttle. Just back from SLP and stood under the U.S. Space and Missile Museum Pathfinder stack. Very nostalgic...

I had that as the home screen on my phone for a while last year, and a few people picked up that it was faked. Still an amazing image, however.

Like most have said at that altitude if the shuttle was rolled on its back it might be more convincing, but to be that close would be flirting with disaster. Another thing I'm pretty sure the air space would be closed to all planes commercial and military.

That F-16 pilot would have had to have a REALLY FAST shutter finger, to catch the Shuttle just emerging from the clouds. And how would he know where it was punching thru? It does look cool, though. :)

When I first saw the thumbnail my first thought was to wonderwhy the clouds were not lit up from the solid motors firing. Then I clicked on the image and the fact that the payload bay supports were on the doors told me that the image was photoshopped.
There are pictures taken from the NASA Shuttle Training Aircraft and other support aircraft that show launches from the a distance. They were for analysis if something went amiss.
Don't think anyone wanted to be too close to the solids even on a nominal launch.

Chas
Charles Russell

I thought fake because I think NASA doesn't like to launch through cloud cover like that, I might be wrong about that.

real-

shuttleplume_sts134_2502.jpg

I posted the same picture on Facebook and someone commented that they wouldn't want to step on it. I guess they didn't look close enough until I had to metion what it was. I guess they thought it was a lite stick or something sticking up. Of course the picture I posted wasn't as large.

Back