TCC Dairy Aire Launch - May 20-22 - Central California Launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try saving it, then opening with Acrobat reader (not via the browser).

Thanks Worsaer
I opened it in the browser.. fail. Then right click, open with "Reader", it opened in "Reader" but still no ability or option to edit. Bah.
I'll fire up the other system right now and see what happens with it.. a Vista64U, IE system with a likely older Acrobat version.

Update: My older system was *almost* able to use the form. I opened ti Acrobat, and could highlight entry fields.. but couldn't enter or change the contents. I give up.. at this point for me, I'll print some HPR cards and pre-fill them at home with a pen. =]

Last edited:
One thing to note is it's BYOM, Mike @ BAR is out of K2045's, he didn't get his last expected shipment from CTI due to the fire, and didn't seem to be expecting another one before LDRS. So very unlikely you'll be able to buy a K2045 at the event. Seems like the club procured a few others from elsewhere, but it was first-come-first-served and I think they've all been spoken for.

I just got my L2 cert at TCC's monthly launch this past weekend, and am finished building (but still need to paint the fins) my 4" Madcow Nike Smoke, but I have to pick up family at SJC late that Friday evening, so I'll either be at DA only on Friday or I won't be going at all. So I didn't even bother to try to claim one of the available K2045's. I think a day-trip is still worth it as I make the drive for the monthly events whenever I can, and I would like to fly the Nike Smoke even if it's not a part of the drag race (I'll use a much more tame motor instead :). I've got two other new rockets I'm trying to finish up in time for LDRS (and one more to repair), if any of them happen to be done by DA I'd like to fly them there also. Mike's supply of CTI motors is definitely dwindling though, so not sure what he'll have left by DA or worse yet LDRS. I wanted to do my L2 on a Skidmark, but he didn't have any of the 4 J-impulse skids left last weekend (I actually didn't see any skids in any of his bins), so I wound up going with a J315R instead, redlines being my second favorite after skidmarks. :)

Several vendors have 54/1280 hardware stupid cheap for some unknown reason. I highly recommend buying at least one if only for closures. Aerotech has so many great 54mm motors that listing off my favorites seems pointless. Add a 852 and 1706 tube and I feel much better prepared to deal with Cesaroni availability.

Well darn.. looks like my Windows 10, MS Edge browser and/or acrobat doesn't support the JS fill-in feature. I'll have to check to see if my older PC might work.

Sorry, my window7 work laptop and Apple iMac and laptop open, know it is old but I still can use.

Last edited:
From the Prez James' Club email blast ...

Details on the launch below!

Launch Site

Spoke to Steve this morning, we will be on the field opposite side of
Del Norte. So basically go to Del Norte and you will see us right off
the side of the road - fresh mowed alfalfa! When we setup, we'll make sure the Sun is at our backs.
Howto: https://www.tccrockets.com/documents/Del_Norte_Launch_Site.pdf

Weather
Looks great - should be 75 Friday-sunday! Awesome rocket weather!
https://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=helm+ca

Trailer Hauling

Mike Silva is hauling the trailer out on Friday morning.
Mike Smith will be returning the trailer on Sunday afternoon.
Special thanks to these guys for making this happen!

T-Shirt - DAIRY AIRE WARS II

If you didn't sign up, no worries, there will be extras so make
sure you come early in the AM to not miss your sizes. I think
everyone agrees - Rod did his usual over the top great job
- see attached!

Rocketry Vendors

- BAR is our vendor and will be onsite throughout the weekend. Please support
him with your high power rocketry needs. You can also visit his website online.
- FruityChutes will attend.
- Real Flight Systems will attend.

Aaron and I will mark off vendor row(s).

Food Vendor - TACO TREN

Saturday we will have Taco Tren come out for Breakfast, as well as
Tacos and Burritos the whole day (and early eve). Great food!
Menu attached.

Porta Potties

Pacific AG Rentals will have a double PP on site with Wash basins Friday morning.

Night Launch

Our night launch has been approved, we're good for Saturday from Dusk
until 10pm. The rocket must be visibly lighted throughout the entire
trajectory (all stages) of it's flight which means all separable
components of the rocket must have lights and/or lighting attached to it.
If anyone has special night/dusk flight operation planned, please send
email to me and Richard with the details.

Raffle Prizes

Madcow Rocketry has donated some great kits; I am sure BAR has some gear
to Donate as well as all the other vendors. Tickets are $1 and you're pretty
much guaranteed to win something - so please buy some tickets!

Nike Smoke Drag Race

- We will have the event as planned 3-4PM Saturday; we'll shut down the range at 3PM
and move the HPR pads out to the away pads as usual and move the crowd back 100' from
the rangehead. Last chance to sign up we'll need more people to sign up on the main page
- I think there are 1-2 motors left, sign up here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CBH27Y1mOllzupDjM86ReUMfs8cqgdTGxYz4vFWNLP8/

LCO/RSO Sign-up

Please sign up for some range duty (LCO is needed afternoons on Saturday/Friday).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1A6n91005NWaMK5ape27fTqeW3BXK-T7m1qoldDMnRA

See you all on Friday!!!

Best regards
-James

William, I can get you a K2045, a K454 Skid, or a K400. CTI is doing fine.
-james

Got up at 6:30AM this morning and drove down to Dairy Aire Star Wars II. I spent about 30 minutes trying to locate the launch site which had moved from the customary location to a new field that was in truth not more than a mile away but on the opposite side of the road. Here I was looking to the right for the site when all that time it was on my left. Focus is a powerful thing. Eventually I spotted the line of pop-ups, ez-ups, and cars from the customary site and made my way over there.

As I drove up, I spotted Gene "Mr. Fruity Chutes" E's big orange and black Magg Max coming in for a landing in the part of the field where the sprinklers were watering crops. Gene later quipped that where his bird landed was better than in the canal...he'd already done that once before.

The field had been disked along the farm roads and a wide strip down the center of the field for the range head. The rest of the field was covered with straw. The disked area at the top of the range head looked as if a roller had been run over it but the 20-30 between that area and farm road was just disked. Discretion being the better part of valor, I parked my 6" ground clearance Nissan roller skate in front of the Bay Area Rocketry trailer where I dropped about $200 on miscellaneous but necessary rocketry goodies (1g 38mm Cesaroni case, two 1g Cesaroni motors, a Fruity Chutes 18" drogue, a DinoChutes case for the Chute Release, and a TrackerR Bravo). I may also have solved my 54mm motor dilemma...the Aerotech J250W SU motor looks perfect for my Goblin 5.5 cert flight. Much more room for the main chute in the body tube due to the shorter motor length and NO hardware investment and no case cleanup required either.

As I feared, the disked field was playing havoc with decorative left knee which simply was not going to hold up long enough to retrieve a rocket. That being the case, I bought up a TCC Dairy Aire shirt (kewl graphix!) to support the club, said my goodbyes, and headed back home.

All in all it was a six hour round trip to chat with rocketeers, see some "interesting" flights, and do a little shopping but I saved some Hazmat fees and shipping charges in the process. Just a shame to let the wonderful launch weather go to waste, tho.

Lest anyone bring up the issue of me driving down to Helm twice a year for the past five years and not flying a single rocket, I did put up one flight at Dairy Aire in 2011. Pix or it didn't happen right? Here ya go.
neenerneener.gif

250015_10150250308371974_4245988_n.jpg

Note to self: Get that damned Bronco back window fixed so I can use it for my launch support vehicle!

Last edited:
Jacob and just checked in to the Apricot Inn off I-5. My wife bought him this sign for his bedroom but he didn't like it so they've been hiding it in weird places for the last couple days. He found it in our duffle bag and cracked up. I thought it was appropriate to take a picture with my L3 bird.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1463889707.818658.jpg

Kit, you need to show up with a couple extra $5 bills in your wallet. Then announce over the PA that you'd like to "Rent-a-kid" (tm) to recover your rocket. I think you'd be surprised how many people would be willing to help out for a few bucks or a couple tacos.

There will be better video - but this will give you a hint of how much fun these drag races are with K2045's.

[video=youtube;eusbnYmUv-k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eusbnYmUv-k[/video]

All in all it was a six hour round trip to chat with rocketeers, see some "interesting" flights, and do a little shopping but I saved some Hazmat fees and shipping charges in the process. Just a shame to let the wonderful launch weather go to waste, tho.

Caught Kit with his shopping.... standing in center reading the Star War Launch T-Shirt poster

Kit's shopping.jpg

I tossed together a video of the Nike Smoke Drag Race taken from a GoPro near Pad#9. It was recording 1080p at 60 frames/second.
I made a few adjustments to the rate of time.. but TIME STOPPED WHEN THOSE K2045's were LIT!!! Hope you like it:

[video=youtube;ob7VG00a09s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob7VG00a09s[/video]

Last edited:
Nike Smoke drag race, seems fairly obvious I did not win but hopefully my downward camera still has some cool footage -
MJ3o6of.png

This one is killer in full resolution, contact me if you want a copy.

My son Jacob took a few pictures yesterday.

Mike Parker's two stage:
13235592_10206769775786568_3106352251604543349_o.jpg

13244156_10206769775746567_3189507711046897590_o.jpg

Tim Robinson's X-Celerator:
13254713_10206769775706566_4370025546298540168_o.jpg

13243863_10206769775666565_4710930952492638264_o.jpg

Onboard footage from the K2045 drag race, too fast for online playback but if you download and watch frame by frame several other ignitions and liftoffs can be seen -
[video=vimeo;167889980]https://vimeo.com/167889980[/video]

That is vimeo-dot-com, slash 167889980, for those still affected by the ridiculous forum bug that seems like it will never be fixed.

Here's my photos from Saturday/Sunday:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/130867993@N02/albums/72157668787843756

Yet another fantastic TCC launch! The Nike drag race was AWESOME, and the Frenzy drag race we did afterwards was pretty cool too! Tim and I flew I445s against John's J240 and all three had great flights. I got 1873' out of the 1 grain 54mm Vmax. Also had several other great flights including a shot to 6607' on my MAC Rayzor on a K360, with a perfect recovery about 4000' away (thanks to the awesome Eggfinder!)

There were also many great Chute Release flights. I flew my Crayon twice to 1906' and 1220' with a drogue and perfect releases at 300' both times, and watermelonman flew to ~9K? with one of my CRs and had another great flight. Tim borrowed a CR for his night launch, and it worked great-it was really cool to see the lit rocket slow down around 100' and land safely.

Last edited:
I had a nice Level2 Flight on Saturday on a J350W. I put together a video using 3rd person view from a head mounted GoPro, but to supplement the lack of in-flight video I added some Dashware Gages to display Altitude, Velocity and the flight profile in real time.

[video=youtube;XqCjse1H4qk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqCjse1H4qk[/video]

Nike Smoke drag race, seems fairly obvious I did not win but hopefully my downward camera still has some cool footage -
MJ3o6of.png

This one is killer in full resolution, contact me if you want a copy.

Eric
I would like a copy for the TCC archives
thanks

Back