Hello From Pennsylvania

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrazyModelGuy

Reaction score
Hey everyone, Im not really new to rocketry as in as a kid I built Estes rocket kits with my dad. However im now disabled and looking to get into some of the bigger more high end rockets. I was wondering what a good low end starter kit was gonna run me. Im sure this has been beat like a dead horse but I couldnt seem to find a 100% match to my question.

Hey! Welcome aboard this crazy train we call rocketry. If you're interested in getting into HPR, it's not all that bad. I'd recommend (after launching a few low power rockets to get the feel again) looking at the Estes Pro Series II kits. They're a good balance between the lower power rockets and higher power rockets. They're on sale from Estes' website for like $25 right now (which is a STEAL). You can order the motors online as well.

Remember, we love questions, pictures, and fresh meat. We only bite on days that end in Y. :)

Welcome aboard!

Matt

Hello fellow Pennsyltuckian. I'm from near Johnstown. Welcome. You are not alone on the look of the Nike Smoke. Most people are. Enjoy yourself getting back in.

For some odd reason im really loving the look of the Nike Smoke.

Welcome, and the PSII Nike Smoke is a fine choice. Great flier, and if built with epoxy instead of CA will easily handle a small H if you get the urge down the road.

Hobbylink has it for $34.89: https://www.hobbylinc.com/estes-nike-smoke-ps-model-rocket-kit-pro-series-ii-e2x-9704?source=froogle&gclid=CjwKEAjwi9K4BRCQzq7d1c6A_XASJABueAO2QeT8CUVPB_wuTvBGJqqir5GOWpwf4AqwnCNRQHFLZhoC8ITw_wcB

Also, Hobbylinc is about the cheapest place to buy the Aerotech Hobbyline reload hardware if you want one stop shopping.

Welcome to the forum. "I know a guy ..." pricing is hard to beat ! :) Rockets that fly on E through G impulse motors are quite popular, alot of smoke and fire for the buck. Another vendor with interesting models is Sirius Rocketry (https://www.siriusrocketry.com/sirius00.htm). Some sticky threads in the Beginners and Vendors section of the forum have lots more lists for your surfing pleasure.

BTW sorta my old stomping grounds - Bloomsburg State College class of '79. Some old friends from up your way - Clarks Summit, Honesdale, Tunkhannock ...

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. "I know a guy ..." pricing is hard to beat ! :) Rockets that fly on E through G impulse motors are quite popular, alot of smoke and fire for the buck. Another vendor with interesting models is Sirius Rocketry (https://www.siriusrocketry.com/sirius00.htm). Some sticky threads in the Beginners and Vendors section of the forum have lots more lists for your surfing pleasure.

BTW sorta my old stomping grounds - Bloomsburg State College class of '79. Some old friends from up your way - Clarks Summit, Honesdale, Tunkhannock ...

Ive been going to this hobby shop for years and he told me to just use his distributor log in and order it and give him the cash as its almost all COD from his distributor.

Ive been going to this hobby shop for years and he told me to just use his distributor log in and order it and give him the cash as its almost all COD from his distributor.

No worries, good to have a friend in the business. I'm just jealous. :)

No worries, good to have a friend in the business. I'm just jealous. :)

Now ive gotta find a reliable launch pad and launch controller. Or just make my own. Im not totally electically illiterate just need a solid plan.

The quick easy way is the Estes Porta Pad II and E Launch controller but there is a great option if you prefer to build your own.

I just picked up Make: Rockets by Mike Westerfield at the library. In it you will find plans for a nice little single launch controller and pad. It is full of plans and projects that can keep you building for a while and it explores most of the LPR end of the hobby. For those that like the math, it is full of it; for those that don't, he lets you know the parts that you can skip.

The quick easy way is the Estes Porta Pad II and E Launch controller but there is a great option if you prefer to build your own.

I just picked up Make: Rockets by Mike Westerfield at the library. In it you will find plans for a nice little single launch controller and pad. It is full of plans and projects that can keep you building for a while and it explores most of the LPR end of the hobby. For those that like the math, it is full of it; for those that don't, he lets you know the parts that you can skip.

Will the Estes system handle the Nike Smoke? And also the 1/4" launch lug.

Hello back from the People's Republic of China!

Welcome to TRF... Now prepare to have your wallet emptied. :wink:

Hello back from the People's Republic of China!

Welcome to TRF... Now prepare to have your wallet emptied. :wink:

Trust me I know the feeling well. Im also into RC Drones and Trucks and Model Trains. I know the feeling. LOL

Welcome Aboard!

Some forums I've belonged to have had a "New Member Introduction" section, but this one does not, so I appreciate it when someone says "Hi, I'm this person, and I'm here."
It sure beats, "Hi, I Am Looking 30,000-40,000 Feet With (Active) Guidance"

I'm slightly crippled myself, and rockets really help keep me out of trouble!

The more often I can throw my attention into the hobby, the more often it keeps my mind off the painful things, and the net result is I feel better in general, and rocketry is the only thing that really does that for me.

I have other hobbies, but I would not talk about them.

Last edited:
Im thinking of making this launch pad. HMMMMMM. Seems easy enough.
[video=youtube;8a85ntmwbNU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a85ntmwbNU&list=PLbDYIZ0o1HPJScdEdZ-39n6Am4HyJnmve&src_vid=r2lDXoW78u0&annotation_id=annotation_4276066545&feature=iv[/video]

Aerotech 29/40-120 would be a pretty cheap way to get into flying it on reloads. That's how they got -me- hooked, anyway....

Ditto for me! As a kid in Upstate NY I was Estes all the way, until I saw the Initiator Starter set in the LHS as a 16y/o- My eyes bulged, and my mom (love her, despite this) talked me out of it. True, I couldn't have purchased motors anyway, but once I turned 18 and was on my own, I started scoring AT kits on EBay (this was in early 2000's, was much easier to get a kit for $30 back then) including...drum roll...the AT Initiator with Reloadable hardware! Took me another 10 years to actually fly it for the first time, long story, but point is, it was my reentry point. Still love flying them, and am just now working on a dual-deploy Nuke Pro Maxx I plan to fly almost exclusively on 29/40-120 until I perfect my DD technique.

Im thinking of making this launch pad. HMMMMMM. Seems easy enough.
[video=youtube;8a85ntmwbNU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a85ntmwbNU&list=PLbDYIZ0o1HPJScdEdZ-39n6Am4HyJnmve&src_vid=r2lDXoW78u0&annotation_id=annotation_4276066545&feature=iv[/video]

Seems like a solid build, but does violate a few tenets of the model rocket safety code, so be careful! Should never launch a vehicle >15 degrees (or is it 20??) from vertical, so a stand advertised like that is bound to get some guys upset. Neat design nonetheless, and if you heed the NAR code (or TRA), you'll be fine. I would love to see that guy's blast shield up close after a few launches- my Estes stock shield looks like a relic from WWI after 50+ flights from it!

Seems like a solid build, but does violate a few tenets of the model rocket safety code, so be careful! Should never launch a vehicle >15 degrees (or is it 20??) from vertical, so a stand advertised like that is bound to get some guys upset. Neat design nonetheless, and if you heed the NAR code (or TRA), you'll be fine. I would love to see that guy's blast shield up close after a few launches- my Estes stock shield looks like a relic from WWI after 50+ flights from it!
Im sure there is a way you could place a stop in the mechanism to disallow more then 15° from vertical. And the Blast Shield I could possible go with something a bit more heat resistant than aluminum. And the launch rod would most likely get a nice polish.

Will the Estes system handle the Nike Smoke? And also the 1/4" launch lug.

I must confess to never having used this pad and assumed (yes, I know what happens when you assume) that it is capable of handling the PS II kits. Estes advertises that it will work with the 3/16" rod but does not mention the 1/4" piece. Any input on this any one?

I must confess to never having used this pad and assumed (yes, I know what happens when you assume) that it is capable of handling the PS II kits. Estes advertises that it will work with the 3/16" rod but does not mention the 1/4" piece. Any input on this any one?

I've used the Estes system for launching an AT Mustang with an AT 29/40-120 g76-10g.

The rod retainer is tightened with a butterfly nut and should be able to open up wide enough to take 1/4".

For the blast plate, you're going to want to -not- use the plastic standoffs, just stick a brick under there to tilt it sideways.

Same for the feet, this thing is light enough you're going to want to stick a brick on the legs, spike them down, or something similar.

This -will- cause damage to your blast plate over time. I distended the center hole a bit and each shot caused visible burn marks to show through on the other side of the plate.

I'm considering a ceramic blast deflector for next time.

There is a DIY ceramic shop close to me, I may have to take a stab at making one.

Got this kit this after noon and all I can say it im very impressed. Seems like a very well made kit. I havent started the build yet, but will tomorrow afternoon.

Back