Say hello to this great place

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaryWang

Reaction score
Hello!My name is Gary,and my Chinese name is Wang Sihan.I am a Chinese high school student.And i am 18 years old. And it's a blessing to meet my English teacher-James.He is really a good man.Since I am interested in rockets,he introduce me to this forum,and i am also glad to be one of this forum.I did good in chemistry,math,physics,and of course English,but I am indeed a greem hand in the field of rockets. I want to know more about it. But I can only be allowed to surf the Internet once a week,for the heavy schoolwork.please forgive me.Anyway,i will get over all the obstacles,however tough it will be.

Wow Gary, what a wonderful attitude you have..
Never forget, the greater the obstacle or the more work and effort something takes,
the greater the reward will be in the end when you've accomplished it..
Gary with an attitude like that you're going to go very far in life...
It is a pleasure to welcome you to this forum..
Your future is quite bight..

Teddy

I believe he's talking about K'Tesh..... :)

Yup! Gary's my student... Great Guy!

Welcome Gary! Glad you could get a post in!

blackbrandt is the American student who is studying Chinese I told you about today. I hope you'll be able to connect up and chat sometime.

All The Best!
Jim

Welcome to the forum and to rocketry, Gary!

I have a feeling that you are going to come away from this forum believing all Americans (and other English-speaking Westerners) are obsessed with rockets to a ridiculous degree. This is not true at all - only the really cool ones are...

Welcome Gary! You're in the right place. Plenty of knowledgeable and helpful people here.

A primer on Chinese names.

Chinese names are formatted as family name (surname) first, given name last. Also the honorifics are after the surname... So, in English, where you'd say "Mr. Wang", in Chinese you'd say Wang Xiānshēng. Pronunciation is also quite different in Chinese compared to English. Where you would expect Wang to rhyme with "fang", or "Tang", you'd be wrong. If you were to leave out the "r" sound from "wrong" you'd have a much better match to the actual sound of the name. Xiānshēng would sound more like a high pitched "She_Ann Shung". So, if you wanted to use a given name (like "Gary") you should use the 2nd (and if it's present the 3rd syllable) of a name.
There are no "middle names" in Chinese. If a given name is composed of two characters, they form a single name. The individual characters may have a meaning all to themselves, or not. "Sihan" will be pronounced something like the "sit" (but without the "t" sound), and "han" like "shawn" (without the "s" sound).

On Chinese tones...

The horizontal line over the vowels in xiānshēng indicate the use of first tone in Mandarin (speaking high in your register).

The second tone is represented by a line slanting upwards (like a "/" symbol) over a vowel indicates that the tone rises from beginning to the end of the sound (imagine saying a word and stretching it... you hear your voice rising as the sound stretches).

The third tone is indicated by a "v" shape over a vowel, it starts with a high sound, dips down slightly, then rises again at the end.

The fourth tone is indicated by a "\" over the vowel, it is a sharp sound like the kind of tone you'd put into a command, or a warning like you'd give a child that is about to grab something hot off the stove.

If there is no symbol over any of the vowels, it is a neutral tone, with no special inflection of the vowel sounds.

Chinese will never be fully integrated into pinyin ( the use of our familiar alphabet) due to the problem of many different words (characters) having different "spelling" but the same sound. This was pointed out by a poet, and his use of the sound "Shi" (which sounds much like the English word "Sure"), and this tongue-twister translates to "Four is four, ten is ten, fourteen is fourteen, forty is forty." In Standard Mandarin, it is pronounced as follows:sì shì sì, shí shì shí, shísì shì shísì, sìshí shì sìshí. (四是四,十是十,十四是十四,四十是四十)

And this post ^^^^ is the reason I can't speak Chinese to save my life. XD

From one Gary to another, welcome and enjoy your time here on the TRF.

Back