Really small trackers

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxwelljets

Reaction score
I'm not really sure where to ask this question. I'm building a 29mm minimum diameter mach-buster rocket that's projected to go to 11,000 feet on a CTI I224. Does anyone know of a good tracker I can use that will fit in 29mm tube and won't add much weight?

I already have a Featherweight Raven for my altimeter. I was looking for a small radio beacon tracker.

Yup Marshall. I use a Marshall receive and a UHF tx. For fine precision work there is nothing better. The TX is super small, I put mine in an 18mm body tube so a 29mm tube would be luxurious.

Call Wildman. He has a new tracker that is only slightly larger than the standard 2032 battery...

That is correct - RF. I prefer RF for most of my rockets. It is smaller but takes some skill to use.

That is correct - RF. I prefer RF for most of my rockets. It is smaller but takes some skill to use.

Yeah if you want small, DF beacons are all that one can use. GPS can give one a position as to where to pick up the pieces. I had this experience on Saturday: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...-Mapping-Program-Update&p=1573624#post1573624

Didn't see a thing and walked out to the spot on the map and saw the fincan sticking out of the ground. New nosecone and I have an extra EggFinder lying around and back in business.

DF tracking wouldn't have helped with a ballistic failure like this. Kurt

Call Wildman. He has a new tracker that is only slightly larger than the standard 2032 battery...

Are they rebranded Trackr Bravos? Those hit the bay area recently and a bunch of us are itching to try them out.

Not perfect, by a long shot, but may well be enough for rockets you have a line on.

Trackr Bravos? On the site, they quote that they only have a 100 foot range to a cell phone. I guess they would be useful if you were wondering looking for the rocket.

Trackr Bravos? On the site, they quote that they only have a 100 foot range to a cell phone. I guess they would be useful if you were wondering looking for the rocket.

Bluetooth devices. There was the Stone Tether fraud that was out there I got took on. That was supposed to be 500 feet. Stupidhead here thought they were on to something and was dinged for two.
I don't think 100 foot is that good for rocket tracking. Kurt

Sadly this is just the very reason I prefer GPS. I use both but my tracking skills are not what they should be so I use GPS for last known coordinates, go there then switch to RF to narrow it down if I cannot see it. I have a number of smaller diameter rockets that I would like to launch to higher altitudes and tracking options is the thing holding me back. Great links of the bird trackers, I may pick one up to test my ability to use it effectively.

Sadly this is just the very reason I prefer GPS. I use both but my tracking skills are not what they should be so I use GPS for last known coordinates, go there then switch to RF to narrow it down if I cannot see it. I have a number of smaller diameter rockets that I would like to launch to higher altitudes and tracking options is the thing holding me back. Great links of the bird trackers, I may pick one up to test my ability to use it effectively.

I am not expert but it only took me 30 minutes in my yard to master it.

RDF is a skill for sure but it's not hard to master as long as you are willing to learn how radio works. You also have to be willing to keep learning because every time you track your rocket it will be different than the time before. I love it, to me it's a perfect reward to a nice flight.

I am not expert but it only took me 30 minutes in my yard to master it.

Problems with DF tracking in this day an age. 1. Cost. Price the purpose built DF rocket/falconry trackers. Pretty close to a GPS tracking system.
2. Sight unseen? One better get a decent bearing fix or if not, could be SOL if they aren't able to get within the ground footprint of the tracking transmitter.
Ok, if one goes the ham radio route, they can study up and build/cobble together an economical DF tracking system. A Beeline DF tracker with a ham radio H/T, $20.00 attenuator and an Arrow Yagi or homemade antenna.
In fact I went the Ham route in 2007 because APRS/GPS trackers were close to a commercial DF setup. Then again, it was $900.00. Enter in the EggFinder GPS system and the cost is 16% of that for a GPS setup now.

As mentioned, DF trackers are smaller and can fit in smaller rockets but you do one GPS recovery of a nominal sight unseen flight and you'll try to figure out how to fit GPS trackers in all your high filers. The longer they're out of sight
the greater the chance you won't know where to go without a visual on descent.

Your 29mm? Do the DF tracker and Chuck is absolutely right, it's easy to master as long as you are aware of the phenomena of antenna polarity and attenuation of the signal at the receiving end to maintain the directivity of the incoming signal.

I've had nine totally sight unseen GPS tracker rocket flights with one ballistic recovery like I showed in that link above and 6 of those 9 recoveries would likely have been doable with DF tracking but would have been a bit more "uncertain".
The ballistic recovery would have been totally impossible with a single DF receive station as the tracker died after it hit. Trying to keep a bearing lock on a dead tracker is nearly impossible unless one had a visual on the descent.
Kurt

Yes but we have a few alfalfa fields that eat rockets, and the rough distance coupled with sound triggering may be exactly the ticket for the smaller rockets we lose in those conditions.

Or not. I will report back in a month or two!

Yes but we have a few alfalfa fields that eat rockets, and the rough distance coupled with sound triggering may be exactly the ticket for the smaller rockets we lose in those conditions.

I am eager to read your report. I hope it works.

That would certainly be a help with rockets one has a rough visual sight of on descent and it gets eaten up in an alfalfa field. Get one of those handheld GPS devices that have a "Sight n' Go" feature and shoot a line to the descending rocket just before one
loses sight of it at touchdown. A 100' footprint that a B/T homing device would provide might be all it takes to assist in finding the rocket in the tall grass. Kurt

Back