RDAS Tiny - Fixed it!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Worsaer

Amateur Propulsionist
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
(Updated the title; looking for additional info...)

I'm looking for someone with experience running RDAS Tiny altimeters. I just acquired two new units, and have a couple of questions. Before just tossing them out here.... Anyone here with first-hand experience?

Last edited:
I do not think they are a very common unit hence the lack of replies. That said, what kind of issues are you having?

The main issue is attempting to follow the instructions to get it to communicate with Windows 7, 64 bit using the correct drivers. I have some more experimentation to get the 64 bit driver to work. I only connected the USB cable, and the altimeter was beeping, but the RDAS GUI software could not detect the altimeter. It was not clear in the instructions if BOTH the 9v battery and USB needed to be connected.

The other issue was odd. When bench testing, I powered up the altimeter with e-matches on the drogue and main channels. It beeped out the correct codes for continuity. When I switched it off, the drogue e-match fired. I didn't move the altimeter during the test, so it should not have 'detected launch'. I tried to recreate the issue, but could not.

If anyone has experience with either, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Well, if anyone is reading this, I figured out the Windows 7 64-bit thing.

The funny thing was it WASN'T a Windows problem at all. It took some time to eliminate possible issues.

Attempt 1) RDAS #1 connected to laptop using supplied new-in-package USB cable. The RDAS was not recognized, no messages good or bad, nothing. The altimeter is beeping the correct codes. After several attempts to get the PC to 'see' the altimeter on different USB ports...

Attempt 2) RDAS #2 connected to laptop using the same cable. Same result. Correct beep codes, but the device does not show up in device manager. Nada. The PC doesn't know it's connected. After trying all the same steps with the second altimeter...

It a chicken & egg thing. In Windows 7, you need to right click on a detected device to update the driver. If the device does not show up, there's no way to install the driver....

Attempt 3) Using RDAS #2, connect to the PC with a known working USB cable... YES!!! "Installing driver for device"

So, long story short, the supplied USB cable worked for power, but not for data. Both altimeters work with the good cable.

So much fun. I'm good now, happily playing with my new altimeters, looking forward to tossing them skyward, perhaps in something new at LDRS...

Hello,

I got one of these RDAS Tiny but I don't have the ignitor cable or USB cable. Anyone know the digiKey/Mouser part number for the 8-pin connector and wire crimps? and the 14 pin expansion connector?
Can you use any standard USB cable or does it have to be the one RDAS AED has on their web page? Also, if you just want to use apogee and main outputs, then
you still have to connect a 10k Ohm resistor to the other outputs? Otherwise it won't beep out right continuity, right? I guess one could just connect some LED or Xmas bulb.
Now I got Windows 10 64bit, still think it will work or I could use my old laptop with Win Vista?

-John

There are a lot of crappy USB cables out there and I've had this experience with connections with cheap cables. Glad you were able to trouble shoot it. Kurt

Back