TOGinator - 30 motor cluster - 5th flight

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two more pictures thanks to Curtis Heisey.

These both show motors falling off the TOGinator and ejection/ignition events from the burning out D12-0 motors.

From the debris seen to be falling off in this flight it is hard to believe that damage to the rocket was moderate.

It will definitely fly again later this year.

2010-07-17-CMASS-183.jpg

2010-07-17-CMASS-184.jpg

Another way of looking at it is that there were 50 ignition events on one launch, despite the rocket having 30 igniters and motors.

Seeing the positive -- a good thing!

I suspect a layer of tape over the end of the motors wouldn't be sufficient. You're probably going to need a thin epoxy cap.

Unfortunately the onboard video camera quit on me one more time, even after repeated tests on the ground. Definitely time for a plan B on that one.

What're you using for a camera? Booster Vision has a neat little one that's about the size of a D motor that could easily be attached.

Damage to tail is moderate. Will require a little fiberglass and a lot of paint before flying again, probably in October or November.

Time to add a few more motor tubes, while in the process?

-Kevin

I suspect a layer of tape over the end of the motors wouldn't be sufficient. You're probably going to need a thin epoxy cap.

Don't say that too loud. The RSO at the CMASS launches might be listening and consider that a motor modification. Besides, stuffing the empty space with wadding and then putting a piece of tape over the end will do the job.

Don't say that too loud. The RSO at the CMASS launches might be listening and consider that a motor modification. Besides, stuffing the empty space with wadding and then putting a piece of tape over the end will do the job.

Not trying to start a flame war, but I'm curious ... why would an epoxy cap be considered a motor modification and wadding/tape not? Neither changes the operating characteristics of the motor, and I would think the epoxy more reliable, if anything.

I heard the announcement of this launch and got to see it, but didn't get any pictures. It was, as always, incredible! :)

Heck, I enjoy watching Boris PREP this model as much as fly it! LOL

I don't see how it's a motor modification, if he's just trying to prevent inadvertent head-end ignition, and not change the behavior of the motor.

That said, you're right, some wadding in the forward end and some tape will resolve the problem.

-Kevin

Back