Apollo 11 Anniversary Gala (and Star Trek)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atticus

Old and in the way
Reaction score
Ever since I bought a 'Get Your Ass To Mars' t-shirt, Buzz has been sending me emails with news about his Share Space Foundation.
Yesterday the email announced a Black Tie 'Apollo 11 Anniversary Gala' hosted by George Takei with Nichelle Nichols, Buzz and other astronauts.
Tickets are $1000 or $1800 (for extra VIP events).
I don't think I could fit in my 40 year old tux. Heheh.
Here's a link to details:

https://store.sharespace.org/apollo11-gala.html

I can't believe this, but my wife is seriously trying to talk me into going to this. I feel like I'm in the twilight zone. I am not supposed to be the responsible one around here.

I can't believe this, but my wife is seriously trying to talk me into going to this. I feel like I'm in the twilight zone. I am not supposed to be the responsible one around here.

You have a dilemma here bud, a real "lady or the tiger" choice !?!

Door #1 - "Yes Dear, whatever you say."

Door #2 - "Luke, it's a trap !!!"

You have a dilemma here bud, a real "lady or the tiger" choice !?!

Door #1 - "Yes Dear, whatever you say."

Door #2 - "Luke, it's a trap !!!"

George Takei is one of her favorite people, so I don't think it is a trap. I do however think she is crazy. I'm really bad at being the voice of reason.

Why are you trying to talk her out of this? Is the issue that the money will come out of rocket funds? 8)

The issue is the upstairs bathroom needs a partial remodel, and that two tickets and associated other expenses for this event is about the exact price of the DIY budget for that project. Adulting sucks. :sigh:

That said, I do appreciate being married to a good enabler.

If you can't afford Buzz's event, here's a slightly-less-expensive alternative:

https://astronautscholarship.org/programs-and-events/ahof-induction/

Dozens of astronauts attend the Gala and you get a chance to mingle with them during breaks in the presentation. You get to mingle even more if you purchase one of the more expensive tickets which include the cocktail party.

The Gala is really an amazing experience. One year we sat next to Hoot Gibson and Rhea Seddon. We talked with them about Mike Mullane's book. "Hoot" also told us about what happened when Mullane was a passenger on one of the commercial flights Gibson was piloting. Gibson announced to the passengers that a "real America hero" was onboard and gave out Mullane's seat number. So, all through the flight people came up to meet him and ask for autographs.

Buzz Aldrin was at a couple of Galas we attended and we actually got to sit and talk with him for a few minutes one time. I sort of mumbled non-sense as my brain shut-down, unable to comprehend that I was talking to Buzz Aldrin. My wife chatted casually with him about grandkids and travelling.

Attendance at the Induction Ceremony the next day is free with admission to KSC. If you want a seat, though, you'll need to have bought a ticket to the Gala.

-- Roger

Last edited:
Back