ROCKSIM Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
To make my question fairly easy. I followed the steps listed below in the YOUTUBE video on how to load motors from a manufacturer's website into the ROCKSIM program. I thought I would start with CTI and I went ahead and downloaded about 30 motors @ 29mm. I made sure I followed the instructions and moved them all over from the downloaded side to the program side. Then when I go to load a CTI motor it only shows maybe 6-8 motors when in fact I know I had more than that. I'm wondering what I over looked??

[video=youtube;o8fmny-eK9g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8fmny-eK9g[/video]

Without knowing more specifics the first thing I would suggest is to check the menu panel where you choose the motor (or load the motor). How do you specify the motor diameter that will fit in the motor mount? There are several options. For example, if you choose only the motor diameter that will fit the motor mount "exactly", your selection of motors will be very limited.

The other problem may be a variety of manufacturer names. The motors you're looking for may be under "CTI" or "Cesaroni". I've even seen duplicate entries for what appears to be the same manufacturer name variant.

We need an standard for manufacturer abbreviations. I have tried to establish one on ThrustCurve.org where each manufacturer has an official name (Cesaroni Technology), a standard abbreviation (Cesaroni) and a set of aliases ("CES", "CTI", "CS", "CSR", "pro38").

I used "CTI" and it brought up the motors and I added 30 or so and I also moved them over. They showed up in the data folder, but not in RS? I only maybe 8? And those I'm not even sure if I added them myself?

I have found that Apogee is always very good on responding to RocSim questions. You could send them and email.

Sure I'll send them over an email. Duh never think of the obvious right? I just want to go over it one more time and double check my steps. Sometimes it's something simple that's overlooked.

Thanks again!

I've always thought it really funky that if one has a very well characterized Research propellant, they can simulate it in Burnsim, export a predicted thrustcurve to Rocksim (and maybe other programs) and hypothetically "fly it" in a rocket that only exists inside a machine!!
Kurt

After downloading motors, change your manufacturer filter to blank. The downloaded motors are usually listed as CTI, whereas the pre-loaded selections are as Cesaroni Technologies, Inc, or something to that effect...

Later!

--Coop

Just wanted to follow up on this. I went and noticed that the path that was the default to the RS data folder didn't look right so when I clicked on "BROWSE" I made sure the correct path was selected. At the end of the path before "Data" there was a forward slash and not a back slash. It also seemed the default path was missing a couple folders.

Here is the actual path I used C:\Program Files (x86)\RockSim 9\Data

I also took Coop's advice and changed the Manufacturer filter and left it "Blank" that didn't actually work, but when I left both the "Manufacturer" filter and "Type" filter blank only then did the two motors show up in the selection list. I'm going to go back add a few more

Last edited:
Sorry--I should have specified "type" as well. I always have that blank, so I did not think to mention it, specifically. Glad to hear you got it figured out, though!

Later!

--Coop

Sorry--I should have specified "type" as well. I always have that blank, so I did not think to mention it, specifically. Glad to hear you got it figured out, though!

Later!

--Coop

I appreciate your help. Thank You! I went ahead and added about a dozen more motors and they all showed up, so it works perfect!

Good to hear!

I neglected to save my motor files prior to getting the last update, so I recently had to re-load everything. I wound up removing everything out of the pre-load list and only loading in the manufacturers I do (or would) use... this way I don't need to scroll through as much to find a prospective motor to sim.

Later!

--Coop

You could also download complete by manufacturer motor files from Rocketryfiles.com

Back