The new 4" MAC Performance VTS-6 missile build thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick@JET

Reaction score
This has been in the works for a few months and it has arrived!

Mike from MAC PERFORMANCE has been hard at work with his latest creation ... and right up my alley.

The Vought VTS-6 Ramjet! A few
Months ago I posted on TRF that I wanted to scratch build my favorite rocket - the QCC Explorer. While at LDRS 34 I stopped by the MAC PERFORMANCE table and thought, that is my next rocket. So we keep walking and my son said "dad ... LOOK, your favorite rocket only really BIG! And JJSR had a beautiful QCC upscale and I knew right then I wanted to build one and plans in my mind were coming together as I walked back to my pit area.

So I called MAC PERFORMANCE and talked to Mike about purchasing an air frame and NC from him for this project...well he was already one step ahead of me...except it wasn't a QCC explorer, it was the Vought VTS-6 - 4" version that Mike was already working on! Oh my, this is awesome! So I saved my rocket budget just for this project. Those of you that have a MAC Perf rocket know the quality, fit and attention to detail, instructions and documentation that comes with a MAC.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1460428191.523895.jpg

JJSR actually was kind enough to share a lot of information with me on his upscale, and I still may do. Scratch build upscale ....L3 maybe??

This is such a cool rocket in my mind at least that a wanted to do a build thread. As a disclaimer, I'm no master rocket guy, and I try and make them look decent enough at 10', so I'm open to suggestion, criticism and comments. This may take alittle
more time as a busy family man and have other hobbies I typically build through the week and not the weekends so I jam in 2-4 hrs per week.

Not sure of the paint yet...but I think it will be the classic QCC style as Mike's will likely be the all red VTS-6

So thank you to Mike at Mac Performance for the first one! I have been eagerly anticipating this build.

So the unboxing...
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1460428490.102415.jpg

This is a BIG 4" rocket at approximately 7' tall! 54mm mount, I think I would've liked a 75mm - however the nozzle would've been an issue.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1460428567.831437.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1460428764.958672.jpg

The fin assemblies. Man I would love to do a quick mock up but just too many parts and I kinda want to watch it develop.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1460428582.475133.jpg

The AV sled. This is new from my other Mac Firestick..., I like!
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1460428670.991837.jpg

Some great aluminum charge canisters! Are these polished?? Jeez
I opted for a Nose cone bay for my tracker (54mm).
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1460428902.031503.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1460428891.492540.jpg

TRACKER: My rocket budget is a little slim for this month to buy the RTx , but buy the time this is done I'll hopefully have one to put in the Nose.
HARNESS: I have a spare harness from Teddy at One Bad Hawk , but may opt for a little longer in case of a tree...maybe 40' each side.

ALTIMETERS: For Alts will be an RRC2 since a have couple new ones I haven't used yet.

CHUTE: I have no idea sizing or color yet, I'll cross that bridge when I get there

ENGINE: fly the field so I don't know yet, but likely K515, L265 depending on weight.

Don't knows.... Chute, and air intakes, just wish there was a good way to have a rocket smoke like a freight train for 10-20 seconds after burn out, I love smoke - maybe a pipe dream here , just thinking out loud.

Thanks for reading, in return I'll take a lot of pictures and try not to bore you.

Nick, correct me if I wrong, the picture below (from another MAC thread) shows the bottom half of this rocket, correct?

Capture.JPG

Brent - I know but it's coming - Mike is nearly complete with his, hopefully he will Post a picture.

Justin - man you are perceptive! Not
Much getting by you, good eyes

Bat - Mike's I think will be the stock VTS color - I think I'll be going for more the QCC look even though it is not a QCC

This looks like another great kit from Mike. Sooner or later I'm going to have to try one out.

This looks like another great kit from Mike. Sooner or later I'm going to have to try one out.

I'm still watching both Justin's and your punisher build - was going to be my next - but then this came up. Still will build one some day.

Dry fit the motor tube tonight. Elected to only use two forward centering rings since the blast deflector will become the rear centering ring. Also paid close attention to the AEROPACK retainer body lip height and set to 0.506" so once the is epoxied - the retainer body will fit tight up against the blast deflector

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1460511655.132758.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1460511637.498819.jpg

The lip on the blast deflector is only about 1/8" so I'll slather a good amount of epoxy before I install in booster.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1460511679.240832.jpg

Using some Rocketpoxy left over from my other MAC - Firestick XL - epoxied the 2 forward centering rings - leave the back edge clear on the middle ring so the epoxy won't interfere with the fins once I install them.

Then epoxied the blast deflector - this is a printed blast deflector, big, mostly solid and is BEEFY!

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1460511720.633423.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1460511732.513295.jpg

Nice harness as well. I really like the simple design of the retaining pin

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1460511760.915679.jpg

Also epoxied in the 1" switch band.

More tomorrow - might start tackling the fins - these will take awhile.

I am imagining so many ways to use this nozzle design. Oh man!

Cheers,
Michael

Well......I was hoping to have paint and vinyl on it by now. We loaded it on the web site a little while ago, and I have a limited number of kits ready to go. The VTS-6 is the first kit in our new Missile Collector Series, with plans to release our second kit later this summer. You can check it out at www.macperformancerocketry.com The printed nozzles and AvBay boards will soon be available seperately. BTW, our 54mm tube will be available in the next few weeks. It's crazy light and wicked strong!

Mike Crupe
MAC Performance Rocketry
FLY CANVAS!

VTS-6 Outside.jpg

Last edited:
Looking great Mike!

Today I had a little time to install the motor mount into the booster and start on the faux air induction systems. There are a total of 9 parts per induction not including the fin (5 canvas parts and 4 wood supports, this actually went much quicker than I thought it would...not that I'm in a hurry to build this.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1460602305.042139.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1460602438.928555.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1460602323.883914.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1460602336.809809.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1460602352.385057.jpg

The photos don't do any perspective on just how big this VTS-6 is. You all know what a 4" - 7' rocket is but with the blast deflector and the air intake assemblies / fins - this is going to be a big freakin rocket when it's done.

I almost asked for 12" longer on the payload air frame simply because my existing QCC I have a longer payload section and like the longer look, however, this is Mike's creation and didn't really want to kit bash - also he made my kit a tad longer actually for I believe the same reason. In hind site, just mock building - this is pretty tall rocket already.

Also started the measurements to create an OR file and started assembly of the AV bay.
Since big family weekend probably won't make in headway for a few days.

Last edited:
The photos don't do any perspective on just how big this VTS-6 is.

This is why there's a beer bottle in all my photos. Perspective. That's my story. ;)

Very cool looking rocket...can't wait to see it fly

Lol Diz, I do recall many of your pictures!

Wing - I take it you know those well

I always enjoyed the more unique kits Estes offered when I was a kid.... Which for understandable reasons is lacking in most high power offerings.

It's good to see something different coming out. This is really cool.

It's been awhile since i've posted - however i have been making headway on the rocket and hour here and there. So far a very fun build and i'm in no hurry - just enjoying the ride. The faux induction units are very nicely done - but of course needs a little TLC for perfection - so although not perfect, i wanted to finalize these as much as possible before installing them on the booster. Once on the booster, sanding may be a challenge.

IMG_8821.JPG

you can see the cut is curved and the induction plate is a squared edge, so i filed the edge flat to match the plate

IMG_8823.JPG

once that was completed, I Bob Smith 15min epoxied everything in place and set overnight so they wouldn't move or warp.

IMG_8713.jpg

Last edited:
Lined the OD of the booster with some 100 grit and sanded the bottom of the induction fixtures to match the curve of the 4" tube

IMG_9017.JPG

also epoxied internal nasty looking fillets for some additional fin stiffness.

IMG_9033.JPG

Decided to round the leading edge and angle off the top plate to match. Not to kit bash but i'm going for the QCC look more than the VTS - especially since Mike's looks so cool - i wanted to be a little different.

220 DA Sanded the inductions and used 3M spot putty and Bondo to fill in the little areas.'

IMG_9025.JPG
IMG_9023.JPG
IMG_9026.JPG
IMG_9027.JPG

Ready to install the fins - then induction system over the fins - after i sanded everything to fit, buttered the fins and used CJ's double dip method - buttered the fin root - installed fin then removed and buttered again.
Permanently installed the fins, applied and external fin fillet - these will be hidden under the induction system so I wasn't worried about the look - then 10 minutes later - buttered the bottom of the inductions and installed - taping them down with some force. I wanted all that to happen while before the fin epoxy took a set so I could align everything if needed.

IMG_9035.JPG
IMG_9036.JPG
IMG_9039.JPG
IMG_9040.JPG

Continued with the other fins and while those where curing - moved to the payload section and AV bay switch band

IMG_9038.JPG
IMG_9043.JPG
IMG_9044.JPG

Fogged the payload with filler primer, sanded pretty much off and re-applied

IMG_9028.JPG
IMG_9029.JPG

starting to look like a rocket - always love this part!

Back