MMX Motor Issue I'm Having

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks.
I was able to get one hub assembly swapped out today, but once I got it all back together, the lug nuts would not go over the guide portion of the lugs, so I used my digital caliper and found the guide portion to be oversized by .25mm. I put tape on the threads to protect them, then it took me about an hour to get each one into proper spec to match the lugs on the old assembly so that the nuts would go on. What a pain.
Had to spend some time in my inversion table after that whole debacle, and the other assembly is the same, but I can work it on my bench while sitting comfortably before I do the other side, so I don't have to do it with it installed. Thanks to my calipers I can do this to the same specs I did today to get the other one to work. Atleast now there is no squeek and the ABS light is off, so I can go places again!!

Thanks for the tips about ignition.

I know that .25mm is not much but that is surprising.

I know that .25mm is not much but that is surprising.

The lugs had a black finish, phosphated I believe is what is is, like bluing on a gun barrel, but rougher. I was hoping I could get away with just burnishing this down with some 320grit followed by some steel wool, but that made no difference, so I had to break out the rotary tool with the little sanding drum, and then do them very carefully til the nuts started to fit. Then I put some duct tape on the back of some 150 grit paper and cut it into strips so I could use a "Shoeshine" method to hone the final contour dimension onto each one.
Even then, one was not perfect and wanted to guide one of the nuts on at just enough of the wrong angle that I managed to bugger up a thread in the nut, so I had to pick the broken piece out, then chase it from the opposite side using the old hub assembly.
Ofcourse then I had to tweak that final lug into conformity.:mad:

The brand I got is Detroit Axle, and other than this issue which seemed unique to me, they generally get decent reviews.
I suspect that this is a QC issue. Stuff happens.

For the other one, I'll actually be making a piece of 13mm BT-5 lined inside with 120 grit, and attached to a mandrel to hone them down to proper spec. in quick order using my drill press, and I'll be sure to entirely mask everything but the part that needs ground so I don't get sanding grit all over everything.

I don't feel as crippled today as I did yesterday, so maybe I'll even get around to doing that, and maybe some rocket stuff too.:)

I'll have to take some pics of my honing jig to share over on the Truck Forum.

Last edited:
I'll have to keep this in mind, I may be replacing a hub shortly on mine and I believe that it is a sealed unit as well.

It's funny, but there is an old saying that I don't recall, that has something to do with the fact that if it has a motor, or certain other things, it is going to be a beast of burden.

I think it was something like Tires, tits or a Boat or some such.

Some things we like to engage in simply require exquisite attention to detail, beyond the degree we give attention to every other facet of life, and if we don't accept this fact and respect it, these things we love so much bite us in the butt.

Contact Jim Flis of Fliskits. He is an authorized Micro-Max motor dealer. Contact info is on the linked page.

https://fliskits.com/products/rocketkits/micromaxx/mmx_motors.htm

Bob

Trust me, I spend a lot of time on that site drooling!!!
I have the Teeny Triskelion, and that's what got me hooked on the MMX before I ever even flew one.
Cave Central gave it to me along with a lot of BT-80 TLP stuff, and it is one of the reasons that I give stuff away to other members here too.
I have finally become a fairly well respected member of the community, and I therefore take it as my responsibility to pay it back by paying it forward by offering any material support or logistics that I can.
This forum is unlike any other that I have ever belonged to.
Nobody ever sends me a bulk shipment of Glock 17 smooth triggers, but I frequently mention a part I need or how I intend to use it here, and am instantly rewarded by offers to help me get what I need, even when it is just theoretical!!!

Kudos to everyone here at Rocketry Forum!!!

I got that kit as a free gift with an order. Maybe Q2G2s, but not sure why Quest would have given out Fliskits rockets? I can't think of where else I would have got it. I tossed that in the box since I had no intentions of building / flying it. I only built 2 of the 'TLP kits' with all or nearly all components replaced. One is primed sitting in the basement, another I lost on its maiden flight (Hellfire). I think the G10 fins weigh more than some of your current builds. Entertaining build threads nonetheless. Don't have as many LPR parts, but if you need something, let me know. I can at least look if I have it.

Trust me, I spend a lot of time on that site drooling!!!
I have the Teeny Triskelion, and that's what got me hooked on the MMX before I ever even flew one.
Cave Central gave it to me along with a lot of BT-80 TLP stuff, and it is one of the reasons that I give stuff away to other members here too.
I have finally become a fairly well respected member of the community, and I therefore take it as my responsibility to pay it back by paying it forward by offering any material support or logistics that I can.
This forum is unlike any other that I have ever belonged to.
Nobody ever sends me a bulk shipment of Glock 17 smooth triggers, but I frequently mention a part I need or how I intend to use it here, and am instantly rewarded by offers to help me get what I need, even when it is just theoretical!!!

Kudos to everyone here at Rocketry Forum!!!

[video=youtube;KIsv1YOFNys]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIsv1YOFNys[/video]

I

Last edited:
I'm a total Arachnophobe, so the second I saw my first camel spider, it was a world of absolute horror.

I learned to deal with them, but my Camel Spider story is still one of the first at camelspiders.net

I'm a total Arachnophobe, so the second I saw my first camel spider, it was a world of absolute horror.

I learned to deal with them, but my Camel Spider story is still one of the first at camelspiders.net

That's funny because I am just the opposite. I made it a personal mission to run down and catch one with no help. Those are fast little buggars!

I'll take some static and attempt to catch some liftoff pics but because these little motors are so quick i've had a hard time catching them off the rail.

As others pointed out, your best bet is to take a video, and grab individual frames. I used an iPad to record a launch...if I could figure out how to attach the frame grabs, I would...basically, ignition to flying off the pad was 4 frames...and pretty impressive, too. Did inserting these as attachments work? I think it did...

Screen Shot 2016-04-25 at 10.59.07 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2016-04-25 at 10.59.36 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2016-04-25 at 10.59.49 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2016-04-25 at 11.00.02 PM.jpg

Like others mentioned, I drool at the Fliskits website...

As others pointed out, your best bet is to take a video, and grab individual frames. I used an iPad to record a launch...if I could figure out how to attach the frame grabs, I would...basically, ignition to flying off the pad was 4 frames...and pretty impressive, too. Did inserting these as attachments work? I think it did...

View attachment 289385View attachment 289386View attachment 289387View attachment 289388

Like others mentioned, I drool at the Fliskits website...

That's awesome!!!
I love to take liftoff pics, and I can't wait to get my first MMX lift off pic!
I was thinking the video frame would be the best way too.
It snowed today, so I won't be doing it today.:(

The pictures are cool! I used to think of MMX as "toy" rockets, but after seeing that flame, I think of them more as, well, micro rockets...but still rockets, definitely not toys.

And thinking out loud, if it ignites and is off the pad in 4 frames...I think this is 30 frames per second...that whole 4 frames happened in 0.13 seconds, so yeah, relying on your reflexes to get a picture is very dicey. You definitely want to film it, and then grab the individual still frames.

Hopefully it won't snow tomorrow...the white would make a great backdrop for those MMX motor flames!

I did launch a few Micros at the clubs Sport launch and had a great time! I did video the Nanorail launches and got some interesting UpShot perspectives but I seem to be missing a connecting cable so I can't download the darn things from the camera.
However I also used my 35mm digital camera and was pleased to find I did catch a couple of the micro Lift-offs. My reflexes must be getting better:) Once if find out which cable is to be ordered I'll have some more fun with the video camera.
OBTW, I'm one of the few people in the world who does not own or want a Cell Phone.

Below are a couple shots of the T2+ Nano button test models and an Unfinished BT-5 body 4fin micro powered 260 USAF Space Booster (not yet decaled) Nano Button fitted model. In the prevailing 10-14mph cross breeze both models flew perfectly straight to ejection. Several other Micros flown that day from the .049" x 12" stainless launch rod tipped off due to a bit of rod whip.
My conclusion: NanoBeam 11.875" rails work great for Micro Maxx models using 00-90 button head st. stl machine screws with a 1/16"dia x 1/32" long sleeve and 1/8" dia x 3/64" plastic flat washer Nano Rail buttons. I think i'll start using these little buttons on some of my new micro models in the future.

Top:
I think you mis-understood what I types about the MMX-II-NE micro Booster Motors. They are NOT Plugged! they have had the ejection charge removed at Quest Aerospace Factory (after market) but still have the average .857s delay charge in place. These motors have been NAR certified and are legal for use in NAR competitions as booster motors. I use them mostly in micro Clusters (Up to 11 motors), Micro Saucers and 2 & 3 staged Micro models. Have to say I have yet to retrieve a sustainer from any 3-staged micro...talk about going, Going, GONE! That .8 second delay between lower stage burnout and next stage ignition can be heartstopping LOL!!! That said I haven't had a really bad tip over on any 2 or 3 stage micro models.
As for the MMX-I plastic Cased .2ns original MMX motors Quest apparently still has some but you have to telephone customer service and specifically ask for them by Catalog number. I purchased a 12pk case last about 3 years ago that way.

MM 417Lp01a_NanoBeam Test(On Rail for 1st Test)_04-16-16.jpg

MM 417Lp01d_NanoBeam Test(Liftoff 1st Flt)_04-16-26.jpg

MM 418Lp01a_260 USAF SpaceBooster(On NanoBeam Rail)_04-16-16.jpg

MM 418Lp01c_260 USAF SpaceBooster(Clears Nanobeam Rail-1st Flt)_04-16-16.jpg

MM 401Lp03a_SteamPunk MACME Shrew(On Pad 3rd Flt)_04-16-16.jpg

MM 401Lp03c_SteamPunk MACME Shrew(Clears Rod-3rd Flt)_04-16-16.jpg

MM 418uc09a_260 USAF Space Booster Decaled_04-15-16.jpg

MM 418uc09b_Nano Rail Button CloseUp_04-24-16.jpg

Back