Fliskits Spitfire - Beer Can Version - Build Thread - FINISHED

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Mushtang! Finally sitting down opening my kit. Time to sit back and start on Page 1 of this thread and slowly read everything. Thanks again for such a thorough build thread.
Post pictures!!!

And don't deviate from the printed instructions.

Last edited:
Funny! So I have decided to do copper with rivets. Bought and painted primer on a bunch of craft gems today and started talking to a neighbor with my wife. My wife turned on our new water system zone near our side garden to see coverage. I was watching it and then looked down the hill to find it spraying the gems full force. Didn't even know we had a head down there. Thankfully they had dried enough. Got all the bad things out before even starting a build thread!! Knock on wood.

I know it doesn't matter (at all), but I'm trying to figure out who would low-rate this thread (it's sitting at 3 stars right now). To start with, almost anything about the Spitfire is great, but apart from that you can't really do a better build thread than Mushtang did here.

Again, I know how utterly unimportant this is, but sometimes I scratch my head at people.

I know it doesn't matter (at all), but I'm trying to figure out who would low-rate this thread (it's sitting at 3 stars right now). To start with, almost anything about the Spitfire is great, but apart from that you can't really do a better build thread than Mushtang did here.

Again, I know how utterly unimportant this is, but sometimes I scratch my head at people.

I couldn't agree more! This is an outstanding thread. I'm going to do one just to keep track of what I'm doing; but you hit the nail on the head. ALL of Mushtangs build threads are rock solid!

...you can't really do a better build thread than Mushtang did here.

I couldn't agree more! This is an outstanding thread. I'm going to do one just to keep track of what I'm doing; but you hit the nail on the head. ALL of Mushtangs build threads are rock solid!

Thanks for the compliments! It was a fun thread to post, and a fun kit to build. I had a lot of help with it too, I couldn't edit those wraps myself so that was a huge help!!!

Six months after finishing this rocket I finally get to take it on it's first flight. Today the rocketry club here in Georgia which is called Southern Area Rocketry (SoAR) had a launch about an hour from my house. So I packed up a half dozen rockets and drove out with my son to launch them. It was a very windy morning and the field wasn't as big as I expected, but people were launching rockets and not losing any so I decided to risk it.

My son and I packed the dog barf into the stuffer tube. There's not a lot of room in this one for the dog barf, shock cord, and parachute. I was a little worried that the parachute wouldn't eject properly.
IMG_8760.jpg

Here it sits on the pad, waiting for me to back away so the range officer can send it on it's way.
IMG_8762.jpg IMG_8764.jpg

It flew beautifully and came down without any damage. I think the chute may not have completely opened but that's okay, it just meant that on this windy day it wasn't carried even further away.

I bet it was a real hit at the launch
Yep! There were several people that told me they liked it, told me I did a good job with it, etc. Someone even asked me if it was real beer cans. I didn't expect that since the segments are significantly smaller than actual cans, but it was still a compliment.

A couple of people recognized it as the ACME Spitfire but nobody said anything about these forums.

And then I got the very strange question that I get asked at every flight someone sees my other Spitfire, "does it fly straight?" Strange that they'd expect it to zig zag, but I can understand it I suppose.

Back