Here's what I did today....G80T-14A Bench test...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, the G80 couldn't lift a 30lb vice off the ground, but overcoming the friction between it and the truck bed is no problem.

I have a spring ritual of doing a test burn on a re loadable motor in my home built motor test bed to just keep my skills up after a long winter and avoid a cato on the pad. Yes, I know it is a waste of a good motor but I budget for it. It doesn't have to be G80, but, it most be a re-loadable motor.

And what made you want to do that?!

3bKdb80.png

Hmmmm, Here's what you do. Get book. Buy some motor making fix'ins, mix, machine grains, load in standard AT casing maybe 2 grain 38mm, bury nozzle up in ground and fire remotely. AT will be happy to sell you phenolic nozzles fiber washers etc and they make the information freely available so you can buy O rings in bulk. Use McMaster Carr Garolite and you can use a brake hone to clean it out and get three firings out of one liner. I've done it a lot and safely since I have a coded Rf firing device I got
on the cheap years ago. Kurt

I need to say that looked highly unsafe. of course I'm still laughing though.

At least the very exciting result will help you understand the thrust curve better for mind-simming purposes.

I prefer to put my G80 in a motor mount tube, fitted into the ground with care, with a heavy iron grate on top of it, so that even if it goes boom everyone is safe. Still loud as heck though!

[video=youtube;h6UHCGY775c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6UHCGY775c[/video]

REALLY?????? Yeah there was no room for a gas can because the bed of my truck was too full of NITRO-GLYCERINE and DYNAMITE and C-10 EXPLOSIVES to have room for a STINKING GAS CAN!!!! REALLY????? TROLL ALERT 1!!!

That's SO Clever!!! Hmmm, and they say that the rocket group are a friendly bunch.....This quickly reminds me of why I don't care for forums....the TROLLS pop out of the woodwork at the slightest cast of darkness. TROLL ALERT #2...

YAWN!!!! BORING!!!!
Thanks but I didn't do that to "understand the thrust curve better" WTF???
Ya Almost earned a troll alert......but you do have some static model skills....so let this be a warning...LOL

Thanks for the Chart BUCKO....It is printed in a sticker that's ATTACHED TO THE MOTOR!!!!! THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!

That's SO Clever!!! Hmmm, and they say that the rocket group are a friendly bunch.....This quickly reminds me of why I don't care for forums....the TROLLS pop out of the woodwork at the slightest cast of darkness. TROLL ALERT #2...

Come on now....what did you really expect from people?

Does anyone else feel like Saturn652 is a bit over the top.

It's a forum. It's friendly. Pretty much everyone who posted is a long time regular. And the comments were meant to be funny. Seems the only one here with an attitude is Saturn652.

New guy. 16 posts. Joined 3/30/16. Maybe you need to chill and get to know us rather than randomly yelling Troll Alert. That is the only, truly asinine post in this thread.

Last edited:
Saturn652 is a first-class jerk. John Coker is one of the most mellow and helpful people in here and Saturn652 calls him bucko and replies in the most sarcastic way possible.

I'd say that Saturn652 is the troll and just maybe someone who is bored and just wants to yank people's chains. Somebody ought to just ban the guy. He's someone I would never care to meet at a launch.

I find Saturn652's responses to be FASCINATING!!! People have VERY MILD reactions, and he goes BALLISTIC!!! WTF??? Most people have COMMON SENSE to not light a motor in the back of their truck. TROLL ALERT 3!!!!

:eyeroll:

Wow chill man. You are complaining about trolling but your behavior is just as bad or worse than trolling. You're putting yourself in the same class as the trolls.

And I don't really care what you do but that definitely isn't the ideal way to static burn a motor....if you read the instructions it will tell you to bury it in the ground, nozzle up, and fire it.

I'd also like to point out that I'm not a prolific poster as it is and I rarely, if ever, comment on someone's posting behavior. But I couldn't resist here.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1461102093.094774.jpg
Sign of the times I guess...oops... I was supposed to be ignoring another thread, sorry my bad.

Does anyone else feel like Saturn652 is a bit over the top.

It's a forum. It's friendly. Pretty much everyone who posted is a long time regular. And the comments were meant to be funny. Seems the only one here with an attitude is Saturn652.

New guy. 16 posts. Joined 3/30/16. Maybe you need to chill and get to know us rather than randomly yelling Troll Alert. That is the only, truly asinine post in this thread.

"Saturn652 has not made any friends yet"

Give him time.

Back