Igniter checker

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Does anyone have a smile circuit for a handheld igniter continuity checker? I have a multimeter, but would like to make a small device that is specific to just testing continuity.

I hope I'm not off topic but...I have analog multi meter. It has a buzzer for continuity. Works great but as for resistance and ohms--- what is the good range in ohms considered for a " low current" starter like the Q2G2 or an electric match. ?

This one :) I know how to check the resistance. But I don't know what is considered low for example the reading needed to get the starter going with a 1.5 v or 9 v supply.

IMG_20160410_193625_978.jpg

CW:
I've been using the igniter checkers pictured below for years. both have been checked out on all types of common igniters, Q2g2's and some electric matches with no problem at all.

While the parts list is from now defunked Radio Shack, parts from any electronics supplier will work.

1.5v-d1_Pocket Continuity testing cluster Q2's_09-06-05.jpg

1.5v-d2_Pocket Continuity Tester 3pic_01-83.jpg

1.5v-e1_2 igniter continuity Testers AA & AAA_11-16-09.JPG

1.5v-b-sm_Pocket Continuity Tester Circuit_01-83.jpg

Frywrxz Dave made a great continuity tester out of a fob sized LED flashlight .. hangs nice on a lanyard.

When WarnerR is ready we will buy a case of the lights and wire the extension. .

Kenny

I'm not sure what "igniters" you want to check, but electric matches should be tested for a specific resistance value not just continuity. For example, you want a DaveyFire with a 6' lead to be 2.2Ω (not higher and not a dead short). I use a small DVM to check igniters right before use.

If you "roll your own" igniter tester, here is a useful little web app that helps you pick the appropriate current limiting resistor for LEDs. I bought several LEDs at Radio Shack a couple years ago for retrofitting ElectroLaunch controllers to use LEDs, and to be safe with all types of igniters. Depending on the LED, voltage drops and operating currents varied. This program made it simple to choose the resistor.

Check out ledcalc.com

While the parts list is from now defunked Radio Shack, parts from any electronics supplier will work.

You might want to check around you for a Radio Shack. I've still got 3 within a half hour of my house. It may not hurt that I'm close to Fort Worth...

I'm sure one could make their own but this is a purpose built ematch tester: https://www.oda-ent.com/Continuity Tester 2.html

These are great when you're shooting a show and have a ton of juice thru the connections, but NEVER use these to test your e-matches for ejection charges. You can go thru a bunch 'o' boxes of e-matches at a show and only find one or two that would result in the 'walk of shame' to replace a bad ignitor, but having your cool bird come whistling down from 12k to make a gopher hole to China is NOT the way to return defective merchandise! I test all my eject matches before I ever leave home. The ones with the highest resistance get marked for ground testing. No loss-no harm.

+1. Simple open/continuity testing is not the way to go. You should check your ematches so that you know what a typical value for that particular type of ematch should be, and discard/mark any that are significantly high or low. Most altimeter continuity tests are a go/no-go, which is fine for checking your connections but won't tell you about the quality of your ematches.

I'm not sure what "igniters" you want to check, but electric matches should be tested for a specific resistance value not just continuity. For example, you want a DaveyFire with a 6' lead to be 2.2Ω (not higher and not a dead short). I use a small DVM to check igniters right before use.

Guys. I am looking for something for my pocket to quickly check igniters. I am not as worried about resistance on my igniters. A 12 volt system with 30 amps will fire them easily.

I will check ematches with a multimeter at my trailer.

Back