18mm Deuces Wild Motor Mount + Baby Bertha

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks! I thought it was a good idea too. Of course I entirely blame Jim Flis for this silliness and any resulting psychiatrist bills.

What a freaking enabler...

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1460259502.660657.jpg

So here's the motor mount kit you get. Which is just like what you find in a Deuces Wild kit. Easy peasy. This is what it looks like tacked up prior to being goobered with wood glue.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1460259292.558509.jpg

I like to tape up the guide before cutting out the motor mount holes.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1460259660.270903.jpg

Holes cut out. Easy to do with an exacto knife and a fresh blade.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1460259766.684041.jpg

Fins tacked in place and now they have wood glue fillets. Time to wait until glue dries or maybe go to bed.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1460259919.626697.jpg

This is all Jims fault.

Baby that's grand.
Couple of Cs should send that baby to the moon.
Can you sing, "Bye, Bye, Baby, Good Bye !

How much nose weight are you planning to use?Or isn't any needed?

How much nose weight are you planning to use?Or isn't any needed?

Not sure yet. I doubt any since the fins are so wonky huge and swept so far back it probably won't be needed but I don't think I'll worry about that until I at least have the primer on and a accurate CG established with motors in place. IIRC the CP is 8.3" from the nose according to the sims.

Not sure yet. I doubt any since the fins are so wonky huge and swept so far back it probably won't be needed but I don't think I'll worry about that until I at least have the primer on and a accurate CG established with motors in place. IIRC the CP is 8.3" from the nose according to the sims.

I have turned a Mini Estes Honest John into a 18mm rocket.All I did was weigh a 13mm and a 18mm motors and added the difference in clay to the nose.Very stable flights.You might be right with the size of the fins but with such a short rocket,that's a lot of thrust with 2 C's.I like your idea,I have a cantered 18mm rocket and it leaves very cool smoke trails.

YES! This should be a fun rocket. On my 29mm version, built for the E16/F15, I just added nose weight to get a margin of 1 based on my Rocksim model.

Pre primer application...

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1460424943.339612.jpg

I didn't do such a good job with the auto primer I used...A few drips. :(. But that's what they make sandpaper for I guess.

That's really cool. I've been wanting to do something like this for a while, but never knew there was a kit available. Thanks for sharing this.

Make sure there are no trees around when you fly it, as trees have a very peculiar affinity for anything "Bertha".
I lost every single Big Bertha I ever owned to the trees as a kid.

Love it, love it, LOVE IT :)

My bad. :)

Oh! Should try painting it in a traditional Deuce paint job.

Then... You can build a stock Deuces Wild painted as a classic Big Bertha...

😝

Love it, love it, LOVE IT :)

My bad. :)

Oh! Should try painting it in a traditional Deuce paint job.

Then... You can build a stock Deuces Wild painted as a classic Big Bertha...

��

Ooohhh...you just solved a little conundrum I was pondering over recently...how to paint it. Yeah, I think I could do that - especially if it has Flis approval. :D I do have a stock Deuces Wild with a paint job I don't really care for and am going to re-paint but I do not have decals for the classic big bertha. What if I used the Baby Bertha paint scheme and decals? Whatcha think 'bout that Jim?

-Dave

One thing I want to point out that's really cool about Jim's 18mm canted motor kit is that the template comes with markings to accommodate not just a 4 fin set up but 3 fin set up too. So basically most BT-60 based kits with 3 or 4 fins can have this MMT kit adapted to it. Just be sure to make the appropriate CG adjustments as needed.

LOL

I am at the sand, prime, fill, sand, prime, fill, fill, sand, sand sand (cursing) prime, etc. stage...

But I did buy some yellow paint to fulfill the request to use the Deuces Wild scheme.

LOL

I am at the sand, prime, fill, sand, prime, fill, fill, sand, sand sand (cursing) prime, etc. stage...

But I did buy some yellow paint to fulfill the request to use the Deuces Wild scheme.
You will be glad you spent the time on the finish. I have a BB and spent the time on the finish. It all paid off at a MMMSC launch when the RSO said the finish looked better than the finish on most cars. Yup, that made it all worth the time.

You will be glad you spent the time on the finish. I have a BB and spent the time on the finish. It all paid off at a MMMSC launch when the RSO said the finish looked better than the finish on most cars. Yup, that made it all worth the time.

Ummm...Yeah, it's not going to look that good haha.

Ooohhh...you just solved a little conundrum I was pondering over recently...how to paint it. Yeah, I think I could do that - especially if it has Flis approval. :D I do have a stock Deuces Wild with a paint job I don't really care for and am going to re-paint but I do not have decals for the classic big bertha. What if I used the Baby Bertha paint scheme and decals? Whatcha think 'bout that Jim?

-Dave

Sounds like a great idea :)

Latest posts

Back