That's...not gone well, has it.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ActingLikeAKid

Reaction score
Great morning with my (four year old twin) boys doing rocket stuff. We'd put some CWF on the first of three Flutter-By kits (from everything I've heard, it's great as long as you keep it at B and under) and we were letting it dry. I had this cool idea for thrust rings for 29mm E and F Estes BP motors: Put a piece of masking tape on a metal straightedge, cut it carefully (using another straightedge) into three strips, then peel off a strip at a time and wrap the motor.

"Daddy, what's this tape on this ruler for?"
"Oh, well, that's to make a ring around a motor. Do you want to see?"
"YES!"
"Watch."
I wrapped it slowly and carefully and the boys were fascinated.
"Daddy, why do you put the tape on the rocket engine"
"Well, that's a great question. We're going to learn about Newton's Third Law. When we launch a rocket, what happens?"
"Fire and smoke come out of the engine!"
"Which way do they go?"
"up!"
"No, the *rocket* goes up. Which way do the fire and smoke go?"
"Down!"
"Yes! OK, so the fire and smoke go down, the rocket goes up! And see, when I put the engine in this rocket, the ring stops it from going up.... See, if I grab this engine... (I pick up an F15-6) and slide IT into the tube, it would go right up into the rocket!"
That's when I remember I have a baffle in this rocket and no, it won't go all the way through and yes, it's a tight fit and oh **** now this motor is IN THERE.

After a lot of internal cursing and some creativity I managed to get it out. That was.... a close one.

Also: A pair of tongue and groove/water pump pliers are a required part of my range box. If used judiciously, they make it a breeze to get out spent motors.

Back