Getting a new stove: gas or electric?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeus-cat

Reaction score
We are building a house and its time to select a stove. We will have a propane tank so should I go with gas or stick with electric since that's all I've ever used?

I'm a huge fan of gas- instantaneous control over the heat output, unlike electric which tends to lag. Also, depending on the model, you can get some serious BTUs out of gas. If you're doing a range, look for one with an electric oven- those give more uniform heat, and don't release any moisture during pre-heat and broil, so food browns and crisps up better. Enjoy the new kitchen!

We have had a gas stove for about twelve years and I would never go back. When we are on vacation I can hardly use the electric stovetop, I'm so used to the luxury of gas...

If you have the budget for it I would highly recommend a duel fuel - gas range and electric convection oven. I've put them in my last two homes and we can't live without one now. The electric convection oven will give you the best, most even baking you've ever had. If you bake breads or desserts much there's no more need to rotate pans for even cooking and it cut downs baking time too. Then, of course, the gas range on top will provide you with the benefit of cooking with gas that others have mentioned above. I highly recommend looking into this option especially where you have the flexibility of building and installing both a 220V outlet and a gas line. KitchenAid and Bosch both have good, reliable units out there - plus there are some pricier semi-commercial options too.

-brant

Gas range, electric oven. My experience with gas ovens are that they had temperature fluctuations and heat inconsistently.

When I had my home built 8 yrs ago, I went with gas range/oven because with the range, you get better control and can get a high BTU burner (great for boiling water fast or searing meat well). But I have to agree that a gas oven isn't as good as electric. So if you have the space/budget, I recommend a dual fuel or separate range/oven. But if I did it again and couldn't do dual fuel or split them out into separate gas range and separate electric oven, I would still go with what I have. I use the range a lot more than the oven, and when I do use the oven, the results are ok, just not as good as an electric oven. Of course, if you or your wife bake a lot, you may want to ensure you have an electric oven.

Hope this input helps.

Last edited:
I didn't mention that we also have only a gas (propane) range. We also have a double electric convection oven.

Parents had gas,, but I did most of my learning on electrics in college and apartment living. Moved to a house with gas and bought this model or very similar (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Samsung...ddle-in-Stainless-Steel-NX58F5500SS/204398559), and we love it. Gas range has the advantage of being able to cook when the power is out, even with electric start you just turn the gas on and light it with a lighter. Also love the girdle center burner so nice for pancakes, chucks of flank steak, and our oval dutch oven. The convection gas oven is very nice too.

I didn't mention that we also have only a gas (propane) range. We also have a double electric convection oven.

In that case definitely go for gas cooktop ("range" is the appliance that has the burners and the oven, Aka a "stove"), and if you love to cook, get a 6 burner, you won't regret it!

In general its easier to get even heat with an electric oven but good gas ovens are possible. My GE Cafe gas oven is just as good (IMO) as the electric oven it replaced. As a matter of fact I get better results with the gas for baking pizzas and other high temperature bakes than the electric, especially with the convection option. I will never go back to electric.

Thanks guys, I never considered gas range and an electric oven. I'll look into that.

We are also getting a backup generator so if power goes out we still have heat. We are doing geothermal which seems to be the option the neighbors went with and they all love it. It has an electric system piggybacked for those days when it is really cold. We also added a gas fireplace in the great room. Of course, it seems everything we selected after the quote and mortgage was determined is over the standard, so we had to find places to cut costs. We are installing the flooring and baseboards ourselves. And we are bringing in our own handyman to finish the bathrooms. He will be out of pocket, but cheaper than the general contractor and it keeps us under budget for the mortgage.

Oh, and the best feature is that I get a 25' x 26' area in the basement for my hobbies. So I have to "squeeze" a woodshop, a train room, stained glass, rockets and plastic models into that area.

So I was thinking of splitting my man cave into two sections. I thought running a straight wall down the middle meant both the train area and the woodworking area would be too narrow. Instead, I am thinking that I should have a narrow area and a wide area in each room. The trains would eventually go in the wide area in the back in the room with a single door. The rocket and model area would be in the narrow part of that room. The woodworking area would have double doors and the table saw would be in the wide area. The band saw, drill press and wood and stained glass storage could go in the narrow area and along a wall. Does that make sense to you guys?

And that is an I-beam running through the room and not a wall. I lose some area as they ran some plumbing along the outer wall and the radon system is in one of the corner of the train area. But the ceilings are 9 feet and currently unfinished. Actually, everything is unfinished at this point.

Blank Basement Plan 2.png

If you have the budget for it I would highly recommend a duel fuel - gas range and electric convection oven. I've put them in my last two homes and we can't live without one now. The electric convection oven will give you the best, most even baking you've ever had. If you bake breads or desserts much there's no more need to rotate pans for even cooking and it cut downs baking time too. Then, of course, the gas range on top will provide you with the benefit of cooking with gas that others have mentioned above. I highly recommend looking into this option especially where you have the flexibility of building and installing both a 220V outlet and a gas line. KitchenAid and Bosch both have good, reliable units out there - plus there are some pricier semi-commercial options too.

-brant

Yeah,

We have a gas stove upstairs and the oven doesn't work/not repairable anymore. The burners do. My wife bakes downstairs with the electric range and goes up and down. Lord knows we can afford a new stove and I told her to do the gas/electric combo but she persists with running up and down the steps!! Maybe that's why she stays slim in the avatar I use! Kurt

Natural gas is cheaper by far but yours is propane so not to sure.Electric heating units (stove, dryer,heater) all draw a lot of power.

We found an all gas unit that is reasonably priced ($800 before tax). Consumer Reports rated it a good buy. It has a fan so it is convection, but there is no electrical element on the fan. The gas range top and electric ovens we looked at would have been close to $2,000 and that was just too much. Thanks for the advice guys.

GAS ALL THE WAY!! I cook all the time and I love gas. I bring my cooking gear over to my moms house to cook for her on her electric stove and nothing ever turns out that great on hers. We both have KitchenAid stoves. She liked mine a lot and decided to buy one just like it but in electric for her application. NOT THE SAME!

I had to switch from a old style gas range and oven to a new Electrolux stove with a glass IR cook top and wiz-bang programmable do it all electric oven when we moved to Eugene. While the programing features are nice, nothing roasts a turkey like a gas oven. As to the range, gas has it all over the anything I've ever tried.

John

Natural gas, we've been using it for decades cooking delicious meals, and now we're too good for it?

Dany

Might I add - If you're going for both, an electric oven usually preforms better than gas. I enjoy cooking, and I've noticed when I'm cooking pastry's or a pizza convention baking in a electric oven is far more evenly baked than if you were using it in a gas oven. I couldn't really argue with taste, because I have no knowledge in how electric tastes worse than if you were cooking in gas.

In general its easier to get even heat with an electric oven but good gas ovens are possible. My GE Cafe gas oven is just as good (IMO) as the electric oven it replaced. As a matter of fact I get better results with the gas for baking pizzas and other high temperature bakes than the electric, especially with the convection option. I will never go back to electric.

This comment alone just cost me three rocket builds. :) Damn those look pretty spiffy.... going to be redoing the kitchen in a year or so and this just made the top of the list.

I had to switch from a old style gas range and oven to a new Electrolux stove with a glass IR cook top and wiz-bang programmable do it all electric oven when we moved to Eugene. While the programing features are nice, nothing roasts a turkey like a gas oven. As to the range, gas has it all over the anything I've ever tried.

John

Be careful with the glass cook top. Mine cracked from on side to the other side about a year ago. I think I was baking something at 450F and it just cracked. I think it was the heat. About a month ago I gently put a grocery bag down on it and the edge of a can inside the bag hit it just right and put a second crack in it between the two front burners up to the first crack. Everything still works, but this stove will be trashed when we move.

Only thing on this subject I have to say is...how ya gonna cook when the power is out? That's right a gas stove will/should always work without electric power, the pilot lights might not work but you can still light them with a barbecue lighter or those ancient things you strike on a box, what are they called ummm, oh yes matches. :)

Next house I own will be gas all the way, in addition to the stove, most gas furnaces could with proper connections be run with a smaller generator, that won't happen with electric stoves or electric furnaces they require a beefy generator to run.

Back