New Firmware for Eggtimer Quantum

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cerving

Owner, Eggtimer Rocketry
TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
We've released an update for the Eggtimer Quantum software, v1.02b. It fixes some issues with the servo routines, cleans up some displays that weren't quite right, and adds a Main deploy at nose-over option for the ARLISS folks (so they can use the Drogue timer for deploying CanSats). We've also updated the assembly and user's guides for the new software, and fixed a few issues that were brought to our attention.

You can download it at https://www.eggtimerrocketry.com/page66.php

Thanks for your support!

Cris Erving
Eggtimer Rocketry

I am going to be pulling the trigger on a Quantum soon, will new units after today be shipped with the flash already done?

The units I have in stock have the 1.01 firmware, the next batch I kit up will have 1.02b. If you don't have a data cable you should get one anyway, it's the same for all Eggtimer Rocketry products and it's only $5. Updating a Quantum is MUCH easier than an Eggtimer, TRS, or LCD (which use an Atmel processor)... there's no critical timing.

The units I have in stock have the 1.01 firmware, the next batch I kit up will have 1.02b. If you don't have a data cable you should get one anyway, it's the same for all Eggtimer Rocketry products and it's only $5. Updating a Quantum is MUCH easier than an Eggtimer, TRS, or LCD (which use an Atmel processor)... there's no critical timing.

Ummmmmmm, You might consider adding a two pin header for the program pads with your kits for those who have them "thar" jumpers lying around. I find it more secure and am able to remove them quickly with a tweezers, forceps or hemostat.:wink:

Kurt

If the tips of your tweezers are small enough they can be the perfect thing to make the 'jump' rather than having a header that might get bent and short the pins, just stick the tweezers in the holes and remove them at the right time.

BTW I have a lead on a Mac solution for this FW update, but won't be able to confirm it until this evening. I'll make another post if I come up with a solution that works to upgrade my Quantum.

Will give this a try tonight, but my read-through of the procedure sure seems like it's less fussy than the Eggtimer. I only did it once on a RevC board, but I did feel a bit like a hacker when I did it! Watching all those characters fly by in AVRdude was pretty fun...like I could see the Matrix ;)

It's not an Atmel uC so no AVR Dude, but it does still have its own programming tool. The Windows tool is included in the .zip package on Eggtimer's website...

...and for the Mac version, here's what worked for me on two Quantums last night:

Attached is a Mac tool (actually it *should* work on any UNIX platform also I believe, so long as Python is installed) and script to do the flashing. Take the two files that come from this .zip and place them in the directory you get when you unzip the firmware from Eggtimer's website. This shouldn't need to be updated for newer FW versions, it figures out the file name for itself provided there's only one .bin in the directory it's run from.

In my case I used fine-tip metal tweezers as I mentioned above, putting the tweezers into the PGM pads and then applying power to the main power input on the Quantum. I left the tweezers in, there didn't seem to be any need to remove them before programming. The Quantum doesn't beep in programming mode like it does in normal operation, so silence is the only indication that things worked. Then just double-click the .command file and provided there's only one of the programming cables attached to the computer it should figure everything out and start the programming. Takes about 3 seconds to erase the part and then another ~40 or so to reprogram it (you get a progress indication along the way). The blue LED on the WiFi module blinks during the update. When it finishes the Quantum reboots automatically and starts its usual beeping (even though the tweezers were still in place), I removed the tweezers at that time.

It's definitely a much less finicky process than updating the Atmel parts, so I took out any sort of retry loop in this script compared to the one for those units. If there are any problems let me know via PM and I'll update this post if necessary.

View attachment Quantum_flash.zip

Thanks for the advice. I have one to flash so far. I did something wrong with my second build in that the 3.3v voltage regulator just starts cooking and heats up under no load. The WiFi chip gets a bit warm too. I was very careful with this build and had more trouble with solder bridges on my first one. If there was going to be a problem, I would have expected it to be the first one but it runs perfectly. The chips don't get warm whatsoever and the interface responds fine with testing.

The second overheating unit gives the expected beeps and responds to the interface but begins to act squirrelly the longer it's on. (Starts to smell because of the heat too.) I replaced the voltage regulator to no avail and assume I may have a bridge or something stupid going on under the WiFi chip. Going to write it off and build another one. First one I've had that I couldn't figure out the problem after like a dozen of these projects. Pulled off 3 TRS builds without a hitch too. Kurt

My TRS cooked regulators and not even Cris could figure it out.

I had one heck of a time with my first Quantum. I've built so many of his similar kits before but I really had at it with the desoldering wick and sucker. It WORKS right off the bat!

The second one was a completely nominal build, no issues whatsoever. I will say one thing that I got the WiFi chip flush to the board and that might be the stickler there. Put the tape down and all. I use a jig so I can
have the solder go downhill away from the metal case of the WiFi transceiver when soldering. I'm going to get it off the board on the next build. Kurt

There's a new build for the Quantum posted on the Eggtimer Rocketry web site, 1.03a. It fixes only one bug, but it's an important one: Under some circumstances it was possible, using the back button or a cached URL on your browser, to rerun a deployment test without entering the validation code. We've changed the deployment test code to change the validation code after a test completion so that can't happen. We recommend that you update your Quantum as soon as possible, particularly if you're still running the original version (1.01c).

As usual, thanks for your continued support!

Cris Erving, Eggtimer Rocketry

There's a new build for the Quantum posted on the Eggtimer Rocketry web site, 1.03a. It fixes only one bug, but it's an important one: Under some circumstances it was possible, using the back button or a cached URL on your browser, to rerun a deployment test without entering the validation code. We've changed the deployment test code to change the validation code after a test completion so that can't happen. We recommend that you update your Quantum as soon as possible, particularly if you're still running the original version (1.01c).

As usual, thanks for your continued support!

Cris Erving, Eggtimer Rocketry

That happened to me tonight! I opened my browser after connecting, but it went to the test page, which must've been cached with a half a second left from some time previous. Gave me quite a start, but my son and I are fine. Updating now before we try another ground test.

Back